Fire evacuation

BgMstr4u
This topic is 2342 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Along with so many others, I have been evacuated by the Thomas Fire near Santa Barbara. Fortunately my place is still intact, though I can’t go back quite yet. But other friends and friends of friends have not fared so well. I have been staying with a lovely lady whom I did not know well but who will become a friend for life.

The strange part of it is being safe and comfortable, thank God, but weirdly disconnected from so much of my life.

Thank you, Honcho, for your kind comment. Another reaction. It has been so strange to be on the receiving end of so much kindness and generosity. I like being generous to others but have not much been needy, at least in the sense of not being in control. It is wonderful and humbling at the same time.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, and your friends who have lost their homes. Glad to know that you are safe. I've watched the devastation on the news, and sometimes it is just hard to imagine what it would be like to go through something like that.

Have a safe holiday season, and wishing you luck in the new year.

Along with so many others, I have been evacuated by the Thomas Fire near Santa Barbara. Fortunately my place is still intact, though I can’t go back quite yet. But other friends and friends of friends have not fared so well. I have been staying with a lovely lady whom I did not know well but who will become a friend for life.

The strange part of it is being safe and comfortable, thank God, but weirdly disconnected from so much of my life.

We'll pray for you!

While it is nice to hear you are making a new friend, I'm sorry to hear of the circumstances of your getting better acquainted. Hang in there.

If you have homeowners or renters insurance, be aware that you have coverage for "loss of use" of your dwelling and additional expenses you incur as a result of this. Call your insurance agent. They may put you up in a hotel, or reimburse you for any rent you pay your friend.

So here's the issue: there's a high probability that there are no hotel rooms available. Still, that is good advice as the insurance company could cover any incidentals that @BgMstr4u might require.

Like BigMister, I too was evacuated from my home by the Thomas fire. Likewise, made a new friend.

I have a condo in Ventura and was evacuated the first night of the fire (but only for two nights). As I watched the hillside literally explode and waited for friends to pick me up, I noticed an older neighbor who I hardly know standing alone. She had no where to go. My new "best friend" got my friends guest room. I slept that first night fitfully on the couch.

We are fully recovered. On now check in on my neighbor daily. And we are all happy to hear that the last of evacuations in Santa Barbara have been lifted.

BigMister, strange but wonderful how we make new friends. All the best to you!