BUTTER or MARGARINE?

samhexum
This topic is 2200 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am one of those lucky people with out a blood pressure problem. I have been told, for years, that too much sodium can aggravate a blood pressure problem but cannot not cause the problem. Makes sense to me since all of my life (I'm 77) I have been a major salt addict and my normal, unmediated blood pressure is 135/65-70.

Mostly, the medical community has de-bunked the association of sodium and hypertension. I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones.

Added salt diet (pile it on): 180/95.

No-added salt diet: 135/80 (with twice daily lisinopril and a beta-blocker).

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the mayonnaise issue many years ago I got into a huge argument with a friend from the East Coast regarding which mayo was best. He claimed that Hellmann's was the only mayo worth using while I from the West Coast claimed that Best Foods was the only mayo worth using. It took us quite a while to realize that they were exactly the same except it is called Hellmann's east of the Rockies and Best Foods west of the Rockies. I DO NOT consider Miracle Whip mayonnaise it has sugar added.

Edited by Epigonos

I only use hq extra virgin olive oil & organic extra-v coconut oil for everything. No need for butter, margarine, lard, mayo, or any other type of fat/oil...

Both healthy & delicious. One can even moisturize with coconut oil right out of the shower & smell like cookies for like 3 hours afterward <3

sounds like you smell good enough to eat

I keep one stick of salted* butter in use, covered, and at room temperature for use at all times.

Friends say “it will go rancid”, I ask “when’s the last time you saw/tasted rancid butter?” I usually get silence as a response.

*unsalted sweet butter stays refrigerated as it is not used as often

Butter does indeed go rancid when stored for long periods at room temp. We use unsalted butter in small amounts here and there. We keep it at room temp in a covered glass butter dish. We usually end up discarding the tail end of a stick because it gas gone off.

Butter does indeed go rancid when stored for long periods at room temp. We use unsalted butter in small amounts here and there. We keep it at room temp in a covered glass butter dish. We usually end up discarding the tail end of a stick because it gas gone off.

If you only use UNsalted butter the on it should be kept in the refrigerator until (or shortly before) you wish to use it.

Generally you can keep covered salted butter out For a reasonable amount of time. If you don't plan on using a huge amount then just keep some out and refrigerate the rest. Shortly before want to use the rest take it out so it is no longer cold.

If you only use UNsalted butter the on it should be kept in the refrigerator until (or shortly before) you wish to use it.

Generally you can keep covered salted butter out For a reasonable amount of time. If you don't plan on using a huge amount then just keep some out and refrigerate the rest. Shortly before want to use the rest take it out so it is no longer cold.

In other words, butter does get rancid.

In my experience, UNsalted butter gets rancid and I would imagine salted butter might if not used over a long period. However if you only take out 1/4 lb at a time (stick) you should have eaten it well before it has a chance to go rancid. If you do not eat that much then I would just keep all types of butter in the refrigerator. In truth, a stick has never lasted me more than a couple of weeks before I have eaten it.

Edited by TruthBTold

Salt is a preservative. (Kosher salt used to be known as "salt for koshering" -- the original preservative.) So SALTED butter can be left un-refrigerated for longer. But yes, all butter can go rancid if you leave it out for long enough. Un-salted butter (without the added preservative) will turn faster.

At my house, there's usually a half-stick of salted butter in a crock on the counter. It's used long before any use-by date. Unsalted butter stays refrigerated until I bake something that calls for it.

Salt is a preservative. (Kosher salt used to be known as "salt for koshering" -- the original preservative.) So SALTED butter can be left un-refrigerated for longer. But yes, all butter can go rancid if you leave it out for long enough. Un-salted butter (without the added preservative) will turn faster.

At my house, there's usually a half-stick of salted butter in a crock on the counter. It's used long before any use-by date. Unsalted butter stays refrigerated until I bake something that calls for it.

We use either unsalted butter or that Smart Balance stuff.

I DO NOT consider Miracle Whip mayonnaise it has sugar added.

This one depends, somewhat, on where you grew up and your socioeconomic background. I was well into my teens before I ever knew that Miracle Whip is NOT mayonnaise. They are different things.

Miracle Whip is a salad dressing. Says so on the label. It's great on any sandwich that includes lettuce. Mayo does not say "salad dressing" on the label. Hawaiian macaroni salad will NOT work with Miracle Whip. It's too sweet.

Different things. Each is wrong in the wrong situation.

This one depends, somewhat, on where you grew up and your socioeconomic background. I was well into my teens before I ever knew that Miracle Whip is NOT mayonnaise. They are different things.

Miracle Whip is a salad dressing. Says so on the label. It's great on any sandwich that includes lettuce. Mayo does not say "salad dressing" on the label. Hawaiian macaroni salad will NOT work with Miracle Whip. It's too sweet.

Different things. Each is wrong in the wrong situation.

We never used anything but Miracle Whip. The first time I had mayonnaise on a sandwich was at a neighbor's house and I liked it instantly. I can't imagine why I would ever buy a jar of Miracle Whip. If I wanted a sweet salad dressing, like a boiled dressing or a cole slaw dressing, I would make it.

We never used anything but Miracle Whip. The first time I had mayonnaise on a sandwich was at a neighbor's house and I liked it instantly. I can't imagine why I would ever buy a jar of Miracle Whip. If I wanted a sweet salad dressing, like a boiled dressing or a cole slaw dressing, I would make it.

I still keep both in the house. <shrug> Use the right tool for the right job.

When I was a teenager I worked in a grocery store. Mom used to leave me shopping lists of things to bring home from work and I knew the translations:

Mayo (Miracle Whip)

Butter (tub of Parkay)

Hey, it was the 70's. :D

It took many years to get my ex to not use Miracle Whip. I never liked the sweet tangy taste. Make me wanna hurl. Now its mayo all the way. I wonder if Miracle Whip is a Midwest thing? I don't recall any friends on the west using it.

Hugs,

Greg

The smell and consistency of mayo kinda nauseates me. After whatever my initial taste of it was, I've never intentionally ingested any of it... only when a fast-food place screwed up my order and didn't exclude it from what I wanted to eat. I don't even use it the rare times I eat tuna.

Unfortunately, youtube doesn't have the appropriate (but obscure) clip I want to post here:

On VALERIE (the NBC show that Valerie Harper was fired from), neighbor Mrs. Poole (Edie McClurg) explained that her husband liked tuna with Miracle Whip because "it really binds the tuna". Here delivery of the line was funny, & for years one of my friends & I would quote the line to each other whenever tuna (or Miracle Whip) (or Edie McClurg) would come up in a conversation.

I have never tasted Miracle Whip or at least consciously. I have been to plenty of communions, and confirmations, and outdoor parties. Do those horrible fruit salads with the marshmallows have Miracle Whip in them? I only use mayonnaise - especially in egg and chicken salad or on sandwiches. I'm in the Midwest. I guess I was just deprived.

• 4 months later...