The Crown, Series 2

foxy
This topic is 1459 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Lady Jane Gray was never accorded the title. I don't think Phillip's title was anything more than a courtesy whereas William and Mary were joint sovereigns and he remained king when she died.

I believe William and Mary were both descendants/ grand children of Charles 1. So both had claims?

I believe William and Mary were both descendants/ grand children of Charles 1. So both had claims?

Yes (having checked Wiki), they both did. Mary was a daughter of James II & VII and William's mother was a daughter of Charles I, so Mary had the higher claim.

As long as we are diverted into Mary Tudor territory: One of my quaratine projects is reading the third volume in Hilary Mantel's trilogy about Thomas Cromwell, who basically ran the English government in the middle period of Henry VIII's long reign. Fascinating, and a wonderful read. First volume is Wolf Hall, #2 is Bring up the Bodies, and this one is The Mirror and the Light (just out this month I believe). Lots about the childhood and early adult years of Mary Tudor. Elizabeth was an infant/very young child at that point (mid to late 1530's). I can't recommend them too highly.

Edited by BgMstr4u

As long as we are diverted into Mary Tudor territory: One of my quaratine projects is reading the third volume in Hilary Mantel's trilogy about Thomas Cromwell, who basically ran the English government in the middle period of Henry VIII's long reign. Fascinating, and a wonderful read. First volume is Wolf Hall, #2 is Bring up the Bodies, and this one is The Mirror and the Light (just out this month I believe). Lots about the childhood and early adult years of Mary Yudor. Elizabeth was an infant/very young child at that point (mid to late 1530's). I can't recommend them too highly.

I'd love to read the 3rd book. I heard the author in an interview and she said she would never write another historical novel like it again (very intensive and extensive research).

As long as we are diverted into Mary Tudor territory: One of my quaratine projects is reading the third volume in Hilary Mantel's trilogy about Thomas Cromwell, who basically ran the English government in the middle period of Henry VIII's long reign. Fascinating, and a wonderful read. First volume is Wolf Hall, #2 is Bring up the Bodies, and this one is The Mirror and the Light (just out this month I believe). Lots about the childhood and early adult years of Mary Yudor. Elizabeth was an infant/very young child at that point (mid to late 1530's). I can't recommend them too highly.

On my to do list.

If you enjoy Hilary Mantel's books, she was also the presenter of the BBC Reith Lectures a couple of years ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08vkm52/episodes/player

The ABC, BBC and CBC have similar lecture series every year (the Boyer, Reith and Massey lectures respectively). They are well worth taking the time to listen to.

If you enjoy Hilary Mantel's books, she was also the presenter of the BBC Reith Lectures a couple of years ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08vkm52/episodes/player

The ABC, BBC and CBC have similar lecture series every year (the Boyer, Reith and Massey lectures respectively). They are well worth taking the time to listen to.

Thank you so much! This is wonderful. A whole series of Hilary Mantel -- 5 lectures. Terrific!

Several hours later: Since this is the season of bingeing, may I recommend listening to all 5 lectures in sequence. Fascinating to hear, stimulating, and for one with one foot in history and the other in literature, at least by academic preparation, a magnificent evocation of the place of the informed imagination in constructing historical narrative.

Edited by BgMstr4u

Was Margaret's husband Tony as "flexible" as they portrayed him in that show? I did Google the guy that was in the three-way scene with him, Jeremy Fry, and that seems confirmed; they pressured Tony not to have him as best man at the wedding, and he was convicted for soliciting a man "for immoral purposes".

Was Margaret's husband Tony as "flexible" as they portrayed him in that show? I did Google the guy that was in the three-way scene with him, Jeremy Fry, and that seems confirmed; they pressured Tony not to have him as best man at the wedding, and he was convicted for soliciting a man "for immoral purposes".

Wikipedia says he did not deny that he was bisexual.

After running out of viewing material, I watched this documentary on Edward made by his great-nephew, Edward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2gL6h-Iy4I:159

It keeps talking about Edward had lost by marrying Wallis. But from the time he was a young man, he hated both socializing and the pomp and circumstance associated with the Crown. He was rebel, just like Harry. He would have tired of being King.

But from the time he was a young man, he hated both socializing and the pomp and circumstance associated with the Crown. He was rebel, just like Harry. He would have tired of being King.
Again going by what they showed in the series, he certainly seemed to enjoy socializing and pomp. They portrayed his and Wallis's life as a constant round of fancy parties.

Again going by what they showed in the series, he certainly seemed to enjoy socializing and pomp. They portrayed his and Wallis's life as a constant round of fancy parties.

Her friends say she dragged him out to parties. He liked vacationing with a few people but didn't like socializing as much as she did.

• 2 weeks later...