The 80s - Millennials Will Never Know.....

azdr0710
This topic is 1631 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

The 80s were my 20s. This is an excerpt of a post explaining why this was such a meaningful time in my life:

https://www.companyofmen.org/threads/your-music.125514/

"I graduated from high school in 1980 in a provincial capital in Argentina, under a military dictatorship. In 1981 I am drafted for mandatory military service. By the end of 1981 I am released from the army, I moved to Buenos Aires away from my family for the first time, to go to college. After I take my admission exam in the university, Argentina declares war against Great Britain and invades the Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas) in 1982. I am drafted again and almost sent to the battlefield. Fortunately it was a short war and we lost. I am released again, I go back to Buenos Aires, the dictatorship crumbles down and Democracy starts. I become first a centrist political activist and then a Trotskyist one. The cousin who was the only guy I was playing with and was in love with dies in a car accident by the end of 1982. I come out in 1983, and join gay rights groups, first an anarchist one, then a Queer group. In 1985 I come out to my parents and start living in full disclosure. I start learning acting and drama direction and neglect my Sociology Studies. I start experimenting with drugs and sex. I meet Facundo, the love of my life, and Pablito, my long term lover. Buenos Aires is an orgy of freedom and creativity after a decade of repression. In 1987 I join the theatre underground movement. In 1989 I perform my own unipersonal in Buenos Aires off-off Broadway."

Edited by latbear4blk

Maybe millennials don’t know the magic of experiencing it all firsthand, but we definitely know about this stuff, boys; there is a lot of nostalgia for the 80s even among people who didn’t live through those years. It’s considered pretty hip to like 80s music — I’d venture that if you asked a millennial what decade he’d want to live through given the choice, a majority would say the 80s. :)

This song in particular is the last song played at Mickys in West Hollywood. Every. Single. Night. Subliminally exhorting us to hurry up and find someone to take home if we haven’t already.

Donna

That’s soooooo cute!

He thinks Donna Summer’s “Last Dance”....is from The 80’s.

That was 1978 baby.....a completely different era.

Oops... I think I may have known that it was seventies, but it was in this “eighties” thread, so... And on that clueless note I recall conflating Donna Summer and Gloria Gaynor when I was a kid. At least I think I ascribed “I Will Survive” to the former.

Oops... I think I may have known that it was seventies, but it was in this “eighties” thread, so... And on that clueless note I recall conflating Donna Summer and Gloria Gaynor when I was a kid. At least I think I ascribed “I Will Survive” to the former.

You're a good sport Loremipsum. I enjoy your posts.

People worry about modern cell phone giving you brain cancer, you could cook your lunch with one of those bricks!

The funniest part of that video in the "TECH REWOUND" typo at the 11 second mark.

Awesome video because it shows the actual artist, but MTV mostly played the version from the movie the song was from, Streets of Fire, with the actors Stoney Jackson lip-syncing as the lead and Robert Townsend, Mykelti Williamson, and Grand L. Bush lip-syncing backup, so an entire generation grew up thinking Dan Hartman was black!

Speaking of Dan, he wrote and produced the oft sampled 1980 hit Love Sensation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tuNMMv7sog

Most famously as the 1989 Black Box song Ride on Time:

Edited by oldNbusted

That was from 1979, but you're getting closer.

~Boomer~

I was 8 years old in the late 70’s and I would have mixed up those two songs too and thought they were from the early 80s and I am definitely not a millennial. To me music coming out at the end of the decade mixes into the next. Or maybe I just have a really bad memory...

Edited by Reisr30

@oldNbusted I loved Black Box and Snap in the 90s. I guess I had a bit of personality disorder since I loved house music but ended up getting into Nirvana and the Seattle scene bands too.

It won't be too long now, someone will start a "The 90s the new generation will never know..." once we got some 20 year olds joining the ranks..

Does anyone remember Solid Gold?

Solid Gold is a solid product of the 80s, it started in 1980.

I was fascinated by the solid gold dancers; there was an African American dancer that was just fantastic.

Cooley Jackson?

I’m getting nostalgic and starting to feel old. Sigh...

Get used to it!