Retiring

José Soplanucas
This topic is 2125 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

i am planning on retiring in 7 years. Until recently my fantasy was buying real estate in Argentina to settle back there. Now I am considering renting instead of buying, and traveling.

I am asking for advice from those of you living outside of the usa. What is a good city for home base? Buenos Aires is too expensive, and the country side in Argentina is not so well connected to the rest of the world. Rio? bahía? Lima? Quito? I know aomeones prefer Asia, but I think my Latin American heart pulls me to S America.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am planning on retiring in 7 years. Until recently my fantasy was buying real estate in Argentina to settle back there. Now I am considering renting instead of buying, and traveling.

I am asking for advice from those of you living outside of the usa. What is a good city for home base? Buenos Aires is too expensive, and the country side in Argentina is not so well connected to the rest of the world. Rio? bahía? Lima? Quito? I know aomeones prefer Asia, but I think my Latin American heart pulls me to S America.

Mexico?

7 years is a long time, the economys, and your situation may change... I would wait a few years before investing time in research etc, and enjoy your time here for now.... I've never had such long range foresight.

7 years is a long time, the economys, and your situation may change... I would wait a few years before investing time in research etc, and enjoy your time here for now.... I've never had such long range foresight.

That is indeed good advise, my plans are changing all the time. To be honest, I’m in a slow day at my job and Tarte Gogo’s adventures triggered my fantasies.

This website is not locked in my work network, miraculously.

That is indeed good advise, my plans are changing all the time. To be honest, I’m in a slow day at my job and Tarte Gogo’s adventures triggered my fantasies.

Do you know this website — Expatistan? It’s pretty useful:

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/index/latin-america

Second Thailand if not Bangkok. Great airport for connections to wherever you want to go on your travels. Wonderful people.

Totally agree - I tend to err on the side of "urban" (and in the case of Bangkok urban-on-steroids) but there are many alternative places in the nation which might appeal to those who different preferences: Chiang Mai is very popular, and there are also some smaller more out-of-the-way places (but language might be an issue - I speak Thai, but in many places one will find very little English comprehension....)

A major consideration when indulging in my fantasies is, of course, sex. I would live visiting SE Asia to enjoy their offer, but the racial

Mix that I can find in Brazil or Colombia is much more appealing.

I totally "get" that... but let me just add that now all Southeast Asian persons (men) are "NOT created equally" (if you know what I mean!)

Edited by nynakedtop

So you meant they are NOT created equal. Still, I would love to spend some time over there, but right now it diea not look like the place for me to live in.

oops, yes..... you caught me in a typo for which i apologize (and will edit to fix)....

and Thailand is not for everyone.... for those of us who love it, we are quite fanatical about it - but life there presents many challenges to the expat, some of which may be compensated for by the low price, the high quality of life, the amazing food, and so on.

again apologies for the typo - that is a total "F" in my gradebook, hehe

Got it. I may love it, but first I have to visit and try it.

extended vacations over the next 7 years to your short list of places would be probably be a good idea. do you really think Buenas Aires is expensive? is that compared to the USA or compared to other places in Latin America?

’m in a slow day at my job and Tarte Gogo’s adventures triggered my fantasies.

You may have access to this site from your work computer, but your employer almost certainly has the right to access your website history at work. Something to keep in mind…

extended vacations over the next 7 years to your short list of places would be probably be a good idea. do you really think Buenas Aires is expensive? is that compared to the USA or compared to other places in Latin America?

Compared to other places in LA and even in Argentina.

More traveling b4 retirement is in my plans. The problem is that my parents are still together and alive, in their 80s. I’m committed to postpone my traveling to spend all my vacation time with them until they pass away.

You may have access to this site from your work computer, but your employer almost certainly has the right to access your website history at work. Something to keep in mind…

I’m not using my computer, of course. I’m in my iphone, using a browser I do not have in my work computer

Edited by latbear4blk

Compared to other places in LA and even in Argentina.

More traveling b4 retirement is in my plans. The problem is that my parents are still together and alive, in their 80s. I’m committed to postpone my traveling to spend all my vacation time with them until they pass away.

You can take the boy out of Argentina but you can't take the Argentina out of the boy ... ;)