Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Gar1eth
This topic is 2050 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

So I can feel better while the ‘women-folk’ are slaving away, I usually make a Hershey Bar Pie. It’s delicious and incredibly simple. I don’t have my actual recipe in front of me-it’s in my Mom’s recipe card file. But this is pretty close. It’s so good I want to bequeath it to all my Forum Family!!! My recipe only uses the one tub of Cool Whip. When my sister-in-law makes it-she uses actual whipping cream which she whips.

No-Bake Hershey's Chocolate Bar Pie

Ingredients

1 (9-inch) chocolate crumb pie crust (such as Oreo pie crust) or plain graham pie crust

1 1/2 (8 oz.) containers Cool Whip whipped topping (12 oz. total)*

5 full-size (1.45 oz.) Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bars

Directions

Break chocolate bars into pieces and place in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Heat, stirring constantly, until melted and smooth. (Or, place chocolate bar pieces in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM power for one minute or until chocolate is melted and smooth when stirred.) Remove from heat and cool for two minutes.

Fold melted chocolate into the Cool Whip until well combined. Spoon into crust. Cover and refrigerate over night, or until set.

* The original recipe calls for 1 (8 oz.) container of Cool Whip, however I use 1 1/2 containers as I prefer a 'fuller' pie. If you'd like to use just 1 container of Cool Whip, use just 4 Hershey's bars. Your pie will taste great, it just won't be as full in the pie crust.

I’ve experimented with this a bit by adding some flavored instant coffee to it. If you do this, you need to dissolve the coffee in a small bit of hot water beforehand, so it’s dissolved and not gritty.

My next experiment I want to try is adding mint. That may mean I need to use another candy bar other than Hershey’s.

Gman

A drop of peppermint extract would be fine in this recipe. Use with caution, though. That stuff is POTENT and can ruin something like this pretty easily.

That’s a great idea, @deej. I had looked last year for a ‘mint chocolate’ flavored coffee. I was surprised that I couldn’t find any. I was wondering whether I might need to try using York Peppermint Patties. But peppermint extract sounds like just what I need.

Gman

I just found my recipe. It’s slightly different, but not much.

In mine you take 6 Hershey Bars and melt over low heat with a 1/2 cup of milk. After that you add a tub of Cool Whip, and then pour it into an Oreo or Graham Cracker Crust and freeze -not refrigerate-for several hours or overnight.

Gman.

So I ended up adding about 1/8th of a tsp of Mint Extract. I wanted peppermint, but Walmart didn’t have it. I had my mother taste test it. She said she thought it was enough, but then told me she wasn’t that fond of mint. I decided to keep it with the 1/8th tsp of mint. When I taste tested it myself before it was frozen, I could taste the mint. But it was subtle.

After the Thanksgiving meal there were two apple pies, one pumpkin, a pecan, and mini pecan pie cookies along with my Hershey Bar Pie.

I ate a slice of my pie. Then the rest of the pie was eaten save a final slice which I finished off. I told one of my nieces that there was a secret ingredient. She took a piece and came back and said ‘mint’. She told she liked it, and that chocolate mint was her favorite flavor. One or two others told me they liked it too. My sister-in-law, who was the person who made the pie the 1st time I remember eating it, said something about how I had made the pie my own. :rolleyes:

The way it worked out, there was just a faint mint aftertaste. My niece, myself, and one there all agrees it was ‘refreshing’. My niece said she thought it was the right amount. I still would have liked the flavor to be a bit stronger. But maybe she was right. I still might try making two pies next year. One with the 1/8th tsp that I know worked well. And one with maybe a 1/4th or a tsp.

How about these...

Hershey-Candy-Cane-Bar.jpg

http://d3a005dv9q91mu.cloudfront.net/uploads/2014/11/GhirAndes.jpeg

I had thought about it using this type of candy before. I was afraid the candy pieces would make the pie too grainy.

Gman, Happy Thanksgiving.

PS. Keep the Prilosec nearby. ;)

~Boomer~

ALWAYS!!! (I’ve been on a proton pump inhibitor since around 1994).

Gman

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way it worked out, there was just a faint mint aftertaste. My niece, myself, and one there all agrees it was ‘refreshing’. My niece said she thought it was the right amount. I still would have liked the flavor to be a bit stronger. But maybe she was right. I still might try making two pies next year. One with the 1/8th tsp that I know worked well. And one with maybe a 1/4th or a tsp.

Why wait for next year? ;)

So those of you that have leftovers, do you have any ingenious way to "transform" them ?

I love cold turkey sandwiches, but the stuffing, I add egg and bake it in muffin tins. This year I made the bacon cage turkey, so the cooked bacon I crumbled up and added it to my stuffing, which was a cornbread with

currants, so the addition of the bacon made it nicely "sweet and savory".... The leftover sweet potatoes I mashed, also add egg and breadcrumbs and made them into latkes....

I am VERY frugal.....

Why wait for next year? ;)

I really only have people around to eat it once a year at Thanksgiving. If I were to experiment at other times, I’d most likely be eating them all myself. And I definitely don’t need that.

I wonder how best to add raspberry instead of mint. Hope you all had a great holiday.

I’m not a baker. So take my words with a teaspoon of salt ;). Is there a raspberry extract that would dissolve the way mint does? What about looking up some recipes and figuring out how to add a raspberry layer?

This year I made the bacon cage turkey

How much will you pay me not to tell your rabbi?;)

As for leftovers, you should make a casserole- combine the leftover turkey, dressing, green beans, and (whisper) bacon with added mushroom soup and bake.

So here's Nick Jonas leaving MY house after Thanksgiving dinner.... (humor me).....

http://78.media.tumblr.com/d07e13088341b2b49ce5299920427013/tumblr_oxz1kuh7Ww1uv2r1mo1_500.jpg

He’s looking a bit chunky. You must have really stuffed him!!:p

Gman

I’m not a baker. So take my words with a teaspoon of salt ;). Is there a raspberry extract that would dissolve the way mint does? What about looking up some recipes and figuring out how to add a raspberry layer?

How much will you pay me not to tell your rabbi?;)

He’s looking a bit chunky. You must have really stuffed him!!:p

I'm a non-practicing Jew, so bacon makes EVERYTHING better.....

As for the pie, you could probably add a layer of raspberry JAM on the bottom before pouring in the chocolate filling ?

And lastly Nick, he's just beefy from working out. He really dint eat much.... I DID ALL THE EATTING !

I wonder how best to add raspberry instead of mint.

As for the pie, you could probably add a layer of raspberry JAM on the bottom before pouring in the chocolate filling ?

The jam would certainly work, although I would be inclined to use a punnet of fresh raspberries or a cup of frozen raspberries (thawed) folded through the chocolate. [Half kilo or even 1 kg bags of frozen berries are readily available here, so I assume they are in the US too. And now at the start of summer you have to fight your way through the shelves of fresh berries in the F&V section.]

The jam would certainly work, although I would be inclined to use a punnet of fresh raspberries or a cup of frozen raspberries (thawed) folded through the chocolate. [Half kilo or even 1 kg bags of frozen berries are readily available here, so I assume they are in the US too. And now at the start of summer you have to fight your way through the shelves of fresh berries in the F&V section.]

punnet = small basket, usually called a "pint" in the US of A.

but my grandmother always said, "a pint's a pound the world 'round"

But it's not. A pint is 20 fl oz in the UK (and was here before M day).

And unlike the actual or implied set measurement of talking about a pint of berries, a punnet is the container, and there is no set weight/mass that it holds, nor is there a standard size.

It just seems like a pie of this nature needs the fruit "pureed", so if you go with Fresh fruit, pulse it thru your blender and add a dash of sugar if too tart.

May I assume M Day was when Australia became metric?

Correctamundo, but it's my term it wasn't an official one. There was no single day when everything changed. Road signs, for example, changed in 1974. Milk, delivered in reusable glass bottle at the time were first labelled as 568ml, and gradually the bottles were replaced by 600ml ones (now only sold in shops in 1, 2 or 3 litre plastic bottles).

• 10 months later...