Do You Recycle?

Avalon
This topic is 2204 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

only problem in my 'hood are the "well-intentioned" neighbors who abandon huge, non-broken-down cardboard boxes next to the recycle containers, thinking they'll magically get broken down and picked up by the automatic "rapid rail" garbage trucks.....

http://www.deltonafl.gov/Pages/DeltonaFL_Depts/DeltonaFL_SolidWaste/0171E88B-000F8513.23/DSC_0167.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did at my old place since we had city pickup and a separate container you could put all your recyclables in. My current place has a dumpster for everything and if I want to recycle I have to store the stuff in my condo and drive five miles to a Kroger that has recycling bins and then sort everything out. I don't have the room in my condo to store stuff and it's too big of a pain. Now if I am drinking bottled water in a city that has recycling bins with the trash bins I throw the water bottle in the recycling can

I admire your efforts!

In FTL, those on city pick up get "bulk trash days". A great chance for people to discard large items that otherwise would have been difficult to get rid of. There are limitations of course, but a great program. In those areas without that service, if anything is discarded illegally, the city is quick to respond, and will usually remove unsightly dumpings within a week.

We've done the 3 Rs (Reduce Reuse Recycle) for nearly two decades. It's much easier here in Southern California than it was in other parts of the country. We sort things at home, well the kids do--because we're monsters that make our kids pitch in around the house. They take the CRV recycling to the local recycler for money they get to keep. It's barely a tenth of their allowance, but they always want to do it. It's also helped us eliminate wasteful crap like bottled water when our daughter freaked out after learning about the huge plastic islands in the oceans. She demanded a ban on bottled water at home and fought for it at school. Reusable glass water bottles became all the rage. So, yes we're "those neighbors" who recycle.

• 5 months later...
PSP also has bulk trash pick-up weeks every Spring and Fall.

Here, the "every spring and fall" service is yard waste pickup.

Retailers sell cheap yard waste bags (not unlike old grocery bags except they're multi-ply and stand 4 ft. tall). Leave them next to the curb and on three dates each spring and fall they'll be picked up. That makes it a PITA through the summer. You can either mulch leaves and stuff into the yard (which is encouraged) or you have to store the bags until the scheduled pickup dates.

Some bozos actually do the storing of bags at curbside as they fill them through the summer so by the time the fall pickup date rolls around they're a real eyesore.

in our city they'll pick those up every week. It goes into a city yard where it's made into mulch, and there are a half-dozen spots around the city (parking lots for parks, mostly) where they'll drop it off the mulch and residents can come help themselves. It goes quickly, they re-drop it off every couple of weeks.

Flushing residents can reserve their own rain barrel at this giveaway event next month.

Councilman Peter Koo is teaming up with the Queens Botanical Garden and Department of Environmental Protection to host a rain barrel giveaway for residents in Council District 20.

The giveaway will be handing out 250 rain barrels by reservation only. To reserve a barrel, call Koo’s office at 718-888-8747.

Residents who reserve a barrel will receive a confirmation letter in the mail that they must bring with them to the giveaway. Barrels will be handed out on June 2 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Queens Botanical Garden.

“Rain barrels are a great way for homeowners to help reduce the burdens on our infrastructure by minimizing the water that flows into our storm drains, sewer systems and local waterways,” Koo said. “Homeowners who recycle rainwater will also realize savings on their water bills and ultimately help create a more environmentally friendly city.”

http://2sei0v2s93y31n9ndy1lrzmh.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/image001-791x1024.jpg

Here, the "every spring and fall" service is yard waste pickup.

Retailers sell cheap yard waste bags (not unlike old grocery bags except they're multi-ply and stand 4 ft. tall). Leave them next to the curb and on three dates each spring and fall they'll be picked up. That makes it a PITA through the summer. You can either mulch leaves and stuff into the yard (which is encouraged) or you have to store the bags until the scheduled pickup dates.

Some bozos actually do the storing of bags at curbside as they fill them through the summer so by the time the fall pickup date rolls around they're a real eyesore.

Our agency provides each residence a large green waste container upon request, and empties it every week, on the same day they pick up the trash and the recyclables.