Do You Recycle?

Avalon
This topic is 2204 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see all these different colored trash bins by the curb on garbage pick-up day. I'm fortunate that where I live there is a single large dumpster behind the building. Sometimes I have to be quick in taking my garbage out; it fills up fast. People who shouldn't use it often do.

I've heard that some cities are cracking down on "dumpster divers". The city wants the money from recycling cans.

Yes we have one big dumpster for paper, plastic, and cans. Is that what they call singe stream recycling? IDK. But it's easy to do so why not?

Our condo building also lets paper, plastics, glass, and cans in the same bin, so it's very easy. However, I recently learned we're not allowed to put #6 in the bins. Most plastics have a recycle triangle with arrows that go around with a number inside the triangle. #6 are the polystyrene containers, such as the to-go containers from restaurants, or some egg cartons, such as Eggland's Best cartons.

Edited by bashful

My parents recycled back in the 1970's and 80's, before there was curbside, and I've recycled for 30 years myself. The easiest is my current apartment building. They will take any plastic, glass, paper, or cardboard except for pizza boxes and plastic grocery bags. When I asked about yogurt containers, which are usually not accepted, they said the recycling hauler separates the stuff they can't recycle and discards it. They felt by making it easy to recycle people would do so. Any boy do they!

When I lived in NYC glass was specifically excluded from recycling. IIRC, Mayor Bloomberg looked at the numbers and thought it wasn't cost effective so he nixed it.

A friend in Albuquerque can recycle everything except for glass in the curbside bins. They don't allow it for "safety reasons." She has to take it to a city collection center which consists of a huge dumpster into which you throw the glass. Somehow, that seems less safe.

Happens kerbside here, almost universally. Some places also have green waste bins as well as the yellow lids (recycling) and red (garbage). Sports grounds and railway stations typically have separate recycling bins. Takeaway coffee cups are an issue, they have layered paper, plastic and paper so can't be recycled. You never see polystyrene cups or takeaway containers here any more. Maccas either wrap burgers in paper or use light-weight cardboard boxes.

Edited by mike carey

I do, mostly urged on by my roommate. We had small bins where we'd separate the stuff ourselves, we got new larger trash-can sized bins this year and they tell us to dump everything in it and it'll get sorted at the trash facility. So I keep a paper bag next to my trash can for plastic/glass/paper recyclables and dump it in the recycling can every couple days. it's pretty easy.

Yes.

There's a town in Massachusetts (one of the "m" ones) that has a guy that looks at the bagged stuff. If he finds something that should have been recycled, AND finds an address, you get fined.

So we have to recycle.

Early in the recycling biz, my mother had to take glass to the recycle place. You had to separate clear, brown, and green glass. She had a whee of a time throwing the bottles and seeing how much noise and what a mess she could make. I loved her, dearly! It got rid of her aggression.