Drinking Age

Avalon
This topic is 2039 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I turned 18, legal drinking age was 18. It didn't change to 21 until after I turned 21.

(side note regarding age restricted products: My mother would occasionally send me to the store, when I was around 8 or 9 years old, to get her a pack of cigarettes. I put 35 cents into the machine, pull her brand, and there were 2 pennies taped to the pack, that I got to keep. Not once did anyone in the store stop me from doing this.)

When I turned 18, legal drinking age was 18. It didn't change to 21 until after I turned 21.

(side note: My mother would occasionally send me to the store, when I was around 8 or 9 years old, to get her a pack of cigarettes. I put 35 cents into the machine, pull her brand, and there were 2 pennies taped to the pack, that I got to keep. Not once did anyone in the store stop me from doing this.)

I could buy beer at 18. Liquor at 21.

Was sorta funny in college - signs all over the grocery store said "No Beer for Miners." Poor guys.

(side note regarding age restricted products: My mother would occasionally send me to the store, when I was around 8 or 9 years old, to get her a pack of cigarettes. I put 35 cents into the machine, pull her brand, and there were 2 pennies taped to the pack, that I got to keep. Not once did anyone in the store stop me from doing this.)

Same-My mother sent me to the store for cigarettes all the time. It was against the law to sell cigarettes to minors, but nobody cared.

When I was young--and maybe it is still true--there was no federal drinking age: each state set its own age. In New York State, you could drink at 18, but you couldn't vote until you were 21. Now the qualifications have been reversed.

I think each state has the right to set the drinking age but the feds got involved saying they would withhold federal highway money if a state did not set the drinking age at 21. Blackmail!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Years ago my mother and I went out to dinner. At another table was a couple (m/f) with their son (10yo?). The couple wanted to order a bottle of wine but the waiter refused because there was a minor at the table.

Years ago my mother and I went out to dinner. At another table was a couple (m/f) with their son (10yo?). The couple wanted to order a bottle of wine but the waiter refused because there was a minor at the table.

The laws regarding sales and service of alcohol could be really weird. I grew up in New York State. When I was a kid, restaurants couldn't serve alcohol until 1PM on Sunday. If you had been drinking at the bar at a restaurant and you moved to a table, it was against the law for you to carry your own drink, a restaurant employee had to carry it for you. When I lived in Colorado, bars had to close at 12pm on Sunday. The only alcoholic beverage stores could sell on Sunday was 3.2 beer. 18 year olds could drink 3.2 beer, but nothing else. There were actually bars that sold only soft drinks and 3.2 to cater to the 18-21 crowd. The laws were truly wacky.

The laws regarding sales and service of alcohol could be really weird. I grew up in New York State. When I was a kid, restaurants couldn't serve alcohol until 1PM on Sunday. If you had been drinking at the bar at a restaurant and you moved to a table, it was against the law for you to carry your own drink, a restaurant employee had to carry it for you. When I lived in Colorado, bars had to close at 12pm on Sunday. The only alcoholic beverage stores could sell on Sunday was 3.2 beer. 18 year olds could drink 3.2 beer, but nothing else. There were actually bars that sold only soft drinks and 3.2 to cater to the 18-21 crowd. The laws were truly wacky.

Come to Wisconsin. Minors can drink if (1) their parent is present and says it’s ok, and (2) the establishment allows it.

Come to Wisconsin. Minors can drink if (1) their parent is present and says it’s ok, and (2) the establishment allows it.

Yes, the cheese state is realistic regarding drinking. Loved to visit the supper clubs up in the northwoods. They're actually very family friendly, not just places to just get drunk. A woman I used to work with once told me her son (who at the time she told me this was then in his 20s) took his first steps on the bar at a supper club.

That's weird and it never happened at any table when I was at as a kid. I was in LA celebrating a freind's 21st birthday and was 20 at the time. A bunch of us went to dinner and I was the only one under age. When they ordered a couple of bottles for the table, the only person who was carded was the person ordering the wine. I happily broke the law in public that night.

I used to be in an industry that issued "drink tickets". If the person I issued a drink ticket were to get a DUI leaving the property, I was ultimately responsible legally, therefore I got out of that industry.

I remember that being a thing when I worked in restaurants in college. I just bussed tables, I didn't serve, but I remember talking with the bartenders about cases at the time where the bartender had been held responsible if a customer overdrank. In retrospect, it seems similar to those lawsuits where people sued McDonalds for their weight problems.