Electric Blanket Woes

Gar1eth
This topic is 2413 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Have you ever tried an electric mattress pad instead? More comfortable to me, some have more heat coils towards your feet and less towards your torso where you already have a lot of body heat.

I quite like my electric mattress pad. Unlike a blanket that bunches up (and creates hot spots) when you move in your sleep, it stays put.

And think about it: heat rises. You want the heat source UNDER you!

Don't laugh, but after going through electric blankets and heated mattress pads, I now have a down-topped feather bed and a lightweight down comforter that I use in the winter. To warm up the foot of the bed before I get in it, I use a high quality hot water bottle from Fashy, wrapped in a towel. This will be the third winter with this solution. I love how it keeps just my feet warm so the rest of me doesn't get overheated.

Yes, I know I'm buying cheap the Sunbeam brand, but I'll bet I've had to buy three over the last 5 years because after a while, they just don't heat anymore.

Gman

Wish I could give some advice, but in Florida there isn't much use for electric blankets, fireplaces, gloves, scarfs, heavy jackets, long johns...well you get the idea. In fact, in the four years of living here, I've never turned my heater on.

No electric blanket needed for me. I'm fortunate to live in a building that has water pipe radiant heat in the floor near the walls with windows. Nothing too hot, but enough to keep us warm even on the coldest days. The downside is once they turn it on in the fall, and before they turn it off in the spring, and we get a 60 something degree day in late fall, or early spring, I have to turn on my AC because it will be over 80 degrees in my condo.

I hate artificial heating in the house. I find it dries out my skin and nasal passages to the point of being uncomfortable. But living in Southern California where winters are mild I don't usually need much in the way of indoors home heating. During the winters our usual night temperatures don't get much fellow the 40's and the 50's. I ALWAYS leave the slider in my bedroom open and the heat off as I like to sleep in an ice cold bedroom. Now this is the unusual part -- when it's cold I use 100% wool blankets. I love the weight and snuggle under the covers with only my nose sticking out -- for me pure heaven. I know weird!!!!!

Archived