Where Are They Now ?

jjkrkwood
This topic is 2308 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am actually having the under counter and overhead fluorescent lighting in my kitchen replaced tomorrow with dimmable LEDs, by a very attractive young electrician (but that is NOT why I am doing it, I swear).

With my new undercounter LED's it lights up the whole kitchen. I rarely have to turn on the overhead fixture.

• 2 months later...

This is a cool ass thread and I am so glad I read it. I just replaced two 150W halogen ceiling lights in my Kitchen with two 21W LED ceiling lights. I got at Costco. I was a little worried at 1st that the LEDS wouldn't give me the same amount of light as the halogens. They actually give me more and I'm lovin them. Can't wait to see what kind of drop I have in my electric bill since I am saving 258W per hour on average 6-8 hours per day.

I am really intrigued by the Hue System. It sounds like you can start off small and keep building. If that's the case, where is the best place to start. Are there mistakes that can/should be avoided? Did the "Dummy Series" come out with "Hue for Dummies" yet or is there a good web site I should look at to help me get started. Other than the earlier one mentioned, is Hue the only game in town or is it just the best game in town based on your experience Any guidance/direction by those with experience would be greatly appreciated. PMs are fine. I didn't know what to get myself for Christmas this year, now I do and it will beat last years dead furnace replacement by a long shot.

Thanks JJ for starting this thread and everyone, especially BN, for sharing their knowledge.:)

This is a cool ass thread and I am so glad I read it. I just replaced two 150W halogen ceiling lights in my Kitchen with two 21W LED ceiling lights. I got at Costco. I was a little worried at 1st that the LEDS wouldn't give me the same amount of light as the halogens. They actually give me more and I'm lovin them. Can't wait to see what kind of drop I have in my electric bill since I am saving 258W per hour on average 6-8 hours per day.

I am really intrigued by the Hue System. It sounds like you can start off small and keep building. If that's the case, where is the best place to start. Are there mistakes that can/should be avoided? Did the "Dummy Series" come out with "Hue for Dummies" yet or is there a good web site I should look at to help me get started. Other than the earlier one mentioned, is Hue the only game in town or is it just the best game in town based on your experience Any guidance/direction by those with experience would be greatly appreciated. PMs are fine. I didn't know what to get myself for Christmas this year, now I do and it will beat last years dead furnace replacement by a long shot.

Thanks JJ for starting this thread and everyone, especially BN, for sharing their knowledge.:)

If you are interested in the Hue system I'd start out with the white light bulb starter kit and use it to replace any light timers you might have around the house. If you start out with a few bulbs you will get to know how the system works in general before you try playing with colors and switches and whatnot. It is a great system, but there are some quirks in the way it creates programs that require getting used to.

Thanks @rvbwnsd sounds like a good plan. I can't wait to get rid of those annoying timers I have hooked up to some lights and get some on a cycle that I've wanted but never did. :)

Yeah, light timing is the gateway drug. Next thing you know you will be turning lights on and off and dimming them from your phone.

• 3 weeks later...
I have my whole home on Hue and voice-controlled with Amazon's Alexa.

Amazon and Google both discounted their home speakers so deeply over the holidays that they likely lost a few dollars per unit — a troubling sign for Apple as it prepares to launch its HomePod speaker, analysts said.

Both companies cut prices for the smallest version of their speakers, the Amazon Echo Dot and Google Home Mini, to as little as $29 from $50 for the US holidays. Midlevel versions cost a bit more than twice as much.

Both companies took small losses or broke even on sales of the hockey puck-shaped devices, analysts estimated.

The Echo Dot has about $31 worth of parts, according to analysis by ABI Research. Components in the Google Home Mini cost about $26. The figures do not include overhead, shipping and other expenses, meaning discounted versions likely sold at a loss.

“Apple is in a bit of trouble,” said Adam Wright, senior research analyst at IDC, who estimated that about 35 million smart speakers had been installed worldwide as of a couple of weeks ago — not including US Christmas sales. “We’ve witnessed an explosion in the last six months.”

Apple failed to ship its $349 HomePod speaker in 2017, as it initially planned, and said the device would go on sale in early 2018.

Apple aims to make a profit on the device itself and bolster sales of its $9.99 per month Apple Music subscription, analysts said. Apple’s voice assistant Siri likely will focus on recommending new songs.

Amazon and Google, meanwhile, are eager to give consumers a taste of their respective digital assistants, Alexa and Google Assistant, at impulse-buy prices, hoping to lock in customers and profit from later sales of goods and data about buying habits.

The Home Mini and Echo Dot do not match the sound quality of the HomePod, but consumers may see less need for a superior, pricier speaker from Apple once they have a rival set up. Even the midlevel Amazon and Google devices were discounted to $79 over the holidays.

“That kind of pricing is great for consumers and bad for Apple,” said Paul Erickson, a senior analyst with IHS Markit.

Some consumers might consider a $30 speaker to be cheap enough to throw away and not a barrier to buying the Apple device when it arrives.

Amazon declined to comment on Echo devices said but said last week the Echo Dot was the most popular item its Prime members purchased while using Alexa.

Alphabet-owned Google did not disclose sales numbers for the Home Mini, but Google Home spokeswoman Nicol Addison said the company was very happy with holiday performance. Google gave away the devices to buyers of its new Pixel 2 smartphones and offered them for $29 at Wal-Mart, Target and Best Buy.

1. Never underestimate the number of Apple consumers who are willing to pay a premium for a device simply because it comes from Apple.

2. I don't get the appeal of this technology anyway. I've got other devices that can do the things these devices do that I am willing to have in my house. I do not want in my house a microphone that's spying on my 24/7, all in the name of "convenience," regardless of which company is providing said spy device.

3. I'm sure my home theater/stereo provides a much more satisfying music listening experience anyway.

2. I don't get the appeal of this technology anyway. I've got other devices that can do the things these devices do that I am willing to have in my house.

I've had this discussion with my Dad about his VHS recorder vs a DVR many times. He records a lot of stuff, I've showed him how much easier a DVR is, and his response is always "I can do all that with my VCR". Now he's moved, and has a new cable provider, and they did NOT set it up so his VCR can record off cable. I get to show him how to use his DVR on my visit there tonight. :eek:

I've had this discussion with my Dad about his VHS recorder vs a DVR many times. He records a lot of stuff, I've showed him how much easier a DVR is, and his response is always "I can do all that with my VCR". Now he's moved, and has a new cable provider, and they did NOT set it up so his VCR can record off cable. I get to show him how to use his DVR on my visit there tonight. :eek:

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a Luddite. Anyone who knows me knows that I love gadgets as long as they perform well and do something I want them to do. I typically seek out the best examples of electronic devices that I can afford. That's why I cannot abide by listening to music on a small plastic speaker (unless I'm just sitting at my computer and listening to something for convenience). My issue with so-called "smart" devices like this is that I simply don't feel the benefits outweighs the negatives. I'm already able to check the weather, look up trivia on the web, or order something from Amazon on my smart phone (that I realize is also spying on me in some ways). I don't need a new gadget where I live monitoring the sound every second of every day. That's just unnecessarily intrusive.

• 1 month later...

I have to side with your dad on this one. Back in the day, I could record a show of my choice for the price of a VHS tape. And reuse that tape endlessly, if desired. Later I replaced the old VCR with a DVD recorder that I still use to record my shows. (The price of a DVD-R disk is less than 50 cents.) I am flabbergasted that the cable companies get to charge minimally $9.95 a month for DVD-R 'service'. Providing a function that essentially used to cost no more than the price of a blank tape or disk. One of the many reasons I dropped cable ages ago.