PALM SPRINGS WEEKEND 2018

Epigonos
This topic is 2232 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I watch the Indian Wells Tournament every year on television. Not a tennis grand slam event, like the US Open, but the best tennis players participate.

Novak Djokovic said in his 2016 champions speech at Indian Wells that the tournament deserved to have a higher status. There are only 4 Grand Slam events, and that’s unlikely to change, but Indian Wells is second only to the US open in American stature — and many like it more because of the location.

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Novak Djokovic said in his 2016 champions speech at Indian Wells that the tournament deserved to have a higher status. There are only 4 Grand Slam events, and that’s unlikely to change, but Indian Wells is second only to the US open in American stature — and many like it more because of the location.

I have never been to the Indian Wells Tournament. Yes, the location is much better than Flushing Meadow in New York City.

@stevenkesslar I’m not clear if you’re suggesting to formally contract a block of rooms or just making a group of advance reservations. There’s a lot of pros and cons and financial risks in this proposal. As a business events professional hotel contracting is a major component of my work life. I’m not sure if this is a practical idea or not given the nature of our group. I’m willing to review any terms and conditions involved in any agreement with Canyon Club if anyone wants to explore this idea any further.

How many rooms were booked at Canyon Club this year and last? How many room nights? What are the rates? Establishing how much our business is worth to Canyon Club would be helpful in this discussion.

Here's a thought. I honestly don't know if this makes any sense or not, since I don't have to worry about booking hotels in Palm Springs.

Does it make any sense to reserve a small block of rooms now that can be cancelled if they are not needed? If so, I'm assuming Canyon Club would be the place to do it. The issue at the last minute seems to be both availability and cost, and of the places most people stay Canyon Club is the most affordable.

I just checked and on those dates next year for a Friday - Monday (3 night stay) at CC it's about $300 total for a ground floor Studio King and just under $500 for a ground floor Poolside King.

Here's what CC says about their cancellation policy:

• Non-holiday periods require a one night deposit and have a 72-hour cancellation policy.

• Holidays and special event weekends have a 7-day cancellation policy.

• Cancelling within the 72-hour (or 7-day) period will result in forfeiture of your deposit.

In theory "we" could book 2 or 3 extra rooms and then cancel them a week or two in advance if they weren't needed. This could be done either being upfront with CC, and letting them know we were doing it, or just doing it. I've never worked with management there, but presumably they should like our group because they get lots of business from us. So it's conceivable they'd just hold a few rooms. Or if not, we could just book 'em anyway.

My impression from reading this thread is that people who waited until the last month either couldn't find anything at a reasonable rate, or just couldn't find anything period. My guess is also that for various reasons - like work schedule - there are people who just can't book one year or even a few months out. If I recall right I did something like this with Guy (at Helios) a few years ago since he wasn't sure until very late in the game, due to extenuating circumstances, whether he'd be able to attend. So we just held a room on my credit card with a one night deposit and by the time the cancellation deadline was reached (72 hours) he knew he'd be able to make it.

If something like this makes sense I am sure some of us could figure it out. The real issue would be what hotel, what level rooms, and then how do we let people know that there are in fact rooms being held on a first come first served basis? And also how many rooms might we need late in the game?

As I said, I have no practical experience with how this actually worked out this year or previous years, other than what's mentioned above. But I'm pretty sure that there will in fact be people who might like to attend but won't be able to know with 100 % certainty until much further down the line. For anyone who knows is there reason to think if someone tries to book say in February or March 2019 they are likely to be completely shut out? And if so does it make sense to anticipate that and try to work around it, or just say, "Sorry. Try next year." ?

Does it make any sense to reserve a small block of rooms now that can be cancelled if they are not needed? If so, I'm assuming Canyon Club would be the place to do it. The issue at the last minute seems to be both availability and cost, and of the places most people stay Canyon Club is the most affordable.

Or would there be a smaller place that might make available the entire resort available, such as Century Palm Springs?

I like this idea for the CC because the room was less than $200/night and the facilities promoted playing in the garden and the (albeit underwhelming) dark room. I was able to book this on my own less than a month out. Having non-forum members around was also a plus.

The idea of having and entire facility is also exciting. We could host gatherings there without it being one or two people's responsibility to host. CC is quaint but it's a little rundown and outdated compared to the smaller resorts. And if it's all forum members, the less cruisy establishments would be more open to letting us play in the otherwise common areas. However, without a good group rate, this wouldn't be in favor of providers like myself. I don't mind spending some money and not breaking even, but I'd prefer to make at least half of that back.

I was able to book this on my own less than a month out.

Does anyone know if CC was actually filled up that weekend? The assumption this discussion is based on is that all the LGBTQ places book up that weekend, even though Coachella itself is not predominantly LGBTQ. If Maus got a reservation one month before the event, is there any reason to think anyone will have a problem in 2019?

As I said above, Inndulge told me on the phone this morning that they book up 6 to 9 months in advance. If I book a room at CC as a placeholder, I will follow Robster's advice, call them, get a free fourth night, and use that to check on their cancellation policies as well as the likelihood that they will sell out. But does anyone know for a fact that CC was actually full this year during the party?

Not all atteneeds want the same environment. I for one would not stay at CC, just as I assume not all attends would want to stay at the Havienda or INNdulge. Oliver has selected the weekend for the 2019 gathering. It is now the responsibility of any individual who is interested in attending to make a reservation, knowing that it can be cancelled or modified. Let's not over produce or over orchestrate the weekend.

Let's not over produce or over orchestrate the weekend.

From The Life And Drama Of Steven Kesslar, an upcoming series produced by Ryan Murphy

Oliver, to Steven (regarding me asking advice about real estate last year):

"Now try not to overthink this, okay?"

Steven (mildly chuckling):

"Oh, come on! You know me. You have to be fucking kidding me!"

Let's not over produce or over orchestrate the weekend.

I agree with everything you say. Except you have to be kidding.

You do know you are speaking to a room full of Gay men, right?

From The Life And Drama Of Steven Kesslar, an upcoming series produced by Ryan Murphy

Oliver, to Steven (regarding me asking advice about real estate last year):

"Now try not to overthink this, okay?"

Steven (mildly chuckling):

"Oh, come on! You know me. You have to be fucking kidding me!"

I agree with everything you say. Except you have to be kidding.

You do know you are speaking to a room full of Gay men, right?

i have to say, I would prefer to see any of the movies in that montage than most everything that passes for entertainment today.

i have to say, I would prefer to see any of the movies in that montage than most everything that passes for entertainment today.

When Judy Garland sang "That's Entertainment" in person in the early 1960s, she also danced on stage while the orchestra played. Source: Boston Garden October 1961.

Not all atteneeds want the same environment. I for one would not stay at CC, just as I assume not all attends would want to stay at the Havienda or INNdulge. Oliver has selected the weekend for the 2019 gathering. It is now the responsibility of any individual who is interested in attending to make a reservation, knowing that it can be cancelled or modified. Let's not over produce or over orchestrate the weekend.

Amen!

I would prefer to see any of the movies in that montage than most everything that passes for entertainment today.

I think I understand you, PK.

But just to be 100 % sure, would you mind defining what you mean by "most everything," and by "entertainment."

a8b42e3793b925232423d4a77ef272fc.jpg

The plot can be hot, simply teeming with sex

A gay courtesan who is moving out West

It could be Oedipus Rex

Or perhaps even Beyonce, or my future fiance

The guy who was waving Gay flags

Or the jock with two cocks in his hands

Hip hooray! The American way

The world is a stage, the stage is a world

of entertainment

Edited by stevenkesslar