Hurricane Irma

tanman4u
This topic is 2443 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I know all eyes are on Florida as Hurricane Irma takes aim on them. Well where I am right now (Caribbean) I'm pretty much on ground zero for Irma tomorrow. Strongest Atlantic hurricane ever. Sheesh. I won't be in any physical danger but it's sure going to cause a LOT of property damage and possibly annihilate a couple of the smaller islands (Anegada and Anguilla). Anegada's highest point is 28 feet and there's a possible 31 foot storm surge. This will make the 6th or 7th hurricane whose eye I've been in. Shit maybe it's me? Anyway I'll likely be without any form of internet for a while so I hope everyone has a great September and that Irma veers north and doesn't get to Florida.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know all eyes are on Florida as Hurricane Irma takes aim on them. Well where I am right now (Caribbean) I'm pretty much on ground zero for Irma tomorrow. Strongest Atlantic hurricane ever. Sheesh. I won't be in any physical danger but it's sure going to cause a LOT of property damage and possibly annihilate a couple of the smaller islands (Anegada and Anguilla). Anegada's highest point is 28 feet and there's a possible 31 foot storm surge. This will make the 6th or 7th hurricane whose eye I've been in. Shit maybe it's me? Anyway I'll likely be without any form of internet for a while so I hope everyone has a great September and that Irma veers north and doesn't get to Florida.

God bless you guys down there. Praying for those in harms way.

Tanman I'll PM you, faith and prayers out to you.

Yeah it's a circus in Florida trying to get out of there today. Missed an appointment today because everyone is on the highways and accident after traffic jam every few miles.

This is one of the reasons why I stayed in the mountains for 5 years. Snow storms come and go, you get some hype but generally in a city that can handle it, people don't start emptying shelves of bread and water. This shit is so high school like when 4 hurricanes in 2004 hit Florida. Tired of this shit, I'm going back out West.

10 days ago I evacuated from Houston to FTL . I've been through 4+ hurricanes in my adult life (including Alicia, Rita and Ike), but when they said Irma was going to prolly hit MIA directly and travel up to FTL as a Cat 5 I'm evacuating Friday back to Texas (tho my FTL place is under mandatory evacuation starting at noon today the only flight I could get was Friday ☹️). Somewhat like trav05 I'll spend several days in Texas picking up those pieces before flying back to FTL to pick up these pieces ... provided H. José doesn't join in the act. Fellow Floridians be safe!

On the West Coast of Florida and just keeping watch on the track predictions. I was here for Charlie and the eye passed about 10 miles from my south. Charlie taught us a hard lesson, it's not over till it's over. So doubt I'm leaving based on current thoughts but will still get 80 mph winds all the way over here.

We actually moved the boat I work on to St. Croix and avoided most of the storm. Some 40-50mph winds with some higher gusts. Just 40 miles away St. Thomas and the BVI were decimated. Barbuda is completely uninhabitable. I'm not sure anyone has heard from Anegada yet. Their highest elevation on the island is 28' and there were forecast waves in the 30-40' range. I'm very happy to live and work on a boat that is easily moved around. We'll be using her to shuttle relief supplies to St. Thomas over the next several days/weeks.

Barbuda is completely uninhabitable.

It's devastating (no pun intended) to see what has happened there. Big countries like the US and Australia have strategic depth, so although individual communities can suffer similar degrees of damage in a hurricane/cyclone, there are places the authorities can take the people. Less so on small islands. The announcements the Prime Minister of A&B made about the situation on Barbuda have been on the media here all day. Best wishes for the recovery effort, Tanman.

Seems very reminiscent of this monster:

HurricaneAndrew.jpg

Andrew was actually a much smaller storm and crossed the peninsula from east to west. Irma is a much larger storm and is expected to affect the entire peninsula from south to north.

This is going to be bad.

Archived