Hello Dolly after Bette

This topic is 2443 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Harvey was great in Fiddler w/Rosie

TWO non-singers. To misquote one of Yente's lines, "The way he sings, and the way she sings, it's a perfect match." :eek:

Harvey did well with Hairspray largely because the role is already camp, and great singing wasn't so much the point. Tevye is NOT a campy role, and should be sung well. (We can debate if Mostel is really in the category of "great singer," but compared to Fierstein, there's no question lol.)

I kinda liked Esparza in Company.

I saw Harvey in Fiddler... he was good. Who is Rosie? I think I saw Andrea Martin.

Andrea Martin replaced Randy Graff, then Rosie O'Donnell came in soon after Martin left.

Martin and Fierstein started at the same time - Fierstein (who replaced Alfred Molina) stayed on when O'Donnell came in.

Andrea Martin replaced Randy Graff, then Rosie O'Donnell came in soon after Martin left.

Martin and Fierstein started at the same time - Fierstein (who replaced Alfred Molina) stayed on when O'Donnell came in.

Cant imagine Rosie ODonnell as Golde.

Years ago, I saw Rosie announce she was being considered, and would probably play, Mama Morton in the movie version of Chicago. Based on the role in the play, (not the movie) I thought ODonnell would have done well in that role. I can also imagine her performing Class, which got cut from the film.

Cant imagine Rosie ODonnell as Golde.

Years ago, I saw Rosie announce she was being considered, and would probably play, Mama Morton in the movie version of Chicago. Based on the role in the play, (not the movie) I thought ODonnell would have done well in that role. I can also imagine her performing Class, which got cut from the film.

I have always appreciated Rosie's commitment to the theatre community at large. When she had her talk show, she did so much to promote Broadway shows and performers. She tried her hand at producing with the Boy George musical Taboo, even though the show was a fabled flop. And also, of course, she has been very visible in the gay community.

But she has terrible pitch trouble. She should not be singing professionally, at all.

I have always appreciated Rosie's commitment to the theatre community at large. When she had her talk show, she did so much to promote Broadway shows and performers. She tried her hand at producing with the Boy George musical Taboo, even though the show was a fabled flop. And also, of course, she has been very visible in the gay community.

But she has terrible pitch trouble. She should not be singing professionally, at all.

I agree

See, and Harvey would ruin both shows for me. He'd play it camp. It would take all sincerity out of Dolly or Mame.

Mame is a difficult role under the best of circumstances. The books were written by Patrick Dennis in the 1950s when camp may have been unknown to those who just read books on the best seller list.

Nobody could miss what was happening in Dennis' next book, "Little Me."

Mame is a difficult role under the best of circumstances. The books were written by Patrick Dennis in the 1950s when camp may have been unknown to those who just read books on the best seller list.

Nobody could miss what was happening in Dennis' next book, "Little Me."

And in many ways, I like the Coleman/Leigh/Simon musical treatment of Little Me more than I like Mame. Though I think both shows are tough to pull off well.

Though I think both shows are tough to pull off well.

I have only seen the Martin Short revival of "Little Me." So my comments were just about Patrick Dennis' book, "Little Me." I was old enough to read the book when it was published. The photos alone (and I suppose the story) were meant for a gay audience. And even more than Dennis' two Auntie Mame books.

I had a few brief encounters with Mr. Dennis in the 70's when I was working at St. Vincent's Hospital and he was a patient there. It is difficult to believe that there was ever a doubt as to his interest in men. I was about 26 and was a medical student taking care of him and he flirted unabashedly with anyone he suspected had a penis.

I had a few brief encounters with Mr. Dennis in the 70's when I was working at St. Vincent's Hospital and he was a patient there. It is difficult to believe that there was ever a doubt as to his interest in men.

I do not remember Patrick Dennis ever appearing on television in the 1950s or 1960s. When Little Me was published, I was old enough to watch Jack Paar's The Tonight Show most nights.

As you know, Mr. Dennis worked as a butler later in life. I never saw him in person, or TV.

Maybe I am wrong to apply current day best selling books to what sold well in the 1950s.

Busch could be interesting if he were directed properly. He can go high camp, but his dramatic and comedic range are really quite good.

Not sure about Charles Busch as Mame in the musical version...

Though Busch did two staged readings of the (non-musical) Auntie Mame as benefits for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights Aids. The first in 1998 and again in 2003. Both readings received good reviews.

The 1998 reading included Peggy Cass reprising her Broadway and film roles as Agnes Gooch along with Dick Latessa and Marcia Lewis as the Upsons.

The 2003 reading included Marian Seldes as Vera Charles and Alison Fraser as Norah Muldoon.

http://charlesbusch.com/images/Production%20Shots/mame/mame2.jpg

The 2003 version included Charles Kimbrough and Beth Howland as Claude and Doris Upson.

http://charlesbusch.com/images/Production%20Shots/mame/mame5.jpg

A fully-staged version with Busch as Auntie Mame had a limited run at the Ogunquit Playhouse in the Summer of 2004.

Max von Essen appeared as Patrick, as a young man.

http://charlesbusch.com/images/mameweb/mame-blacksuit-w.jpg

Busch could be interesting if he were directed properly. He can go high camp, but his dramatic and comedic range are really quite good.

Not sure about Charles Busch as Mame in the musical version...

Though Busch did two staged readings of the (non-musical) Auntie Mame as benefits for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights Aids. The first in 1998 and again in 2003. Both readings received good reviews.

The 1998 reading included Peggy Cass reprising her Broadway and film roles as Agnes Gooch along with Dick Latessa and Marcia Lewis as the Upsons.

The 2003 reading included Marian Seldes as Vera Charles and Alison Fraser as Norah Muldoon.

http://charlesbusch.com/images/Production%20Shots/mame/mame2.jpg

The 2003 version included Charles Kimbrough and Beth Howland as Claude and Doris Upson.

http://charlesbusch.com/images/Production%20Shots/mame/mame5.jpg

A fully-staged version with Busch as Auntie Mame had a limited run at the Ogunquit Playhouse in the Summer of 2004.

Max von Essen appeared as Patrick, as a young man.

http://charlesbusch.com/images/mameweb/mame-blacksuit-w.jpg

Pleaseee revive MAME on Bdwy with Lady Gaga....maybe wishful thinking

I'd like her to get some other bonafide theatre cred before attempting a role anything like that. Mame is a gigantic show in so many ways - I don't think there are many producers who would be ready to risk the entire rest of the production on someone in her 30's who has done no theatre since high school.

And...it just seems that the show isn't really screaming to be revived. I think it's a show destined to be a summerstock staple, and occasional regional show, more than a Broadway revival.

And in a way that's too bad, because I think outside of Dolly and La Cage, I don't tend to think there's much interest in any of Herman's other shows. (No one's about to fund a big Broadway revival of Dear World, or even Mack And Mabel, mainly because their books are huge letdowns. I personally feel the book of Mame isn't going to be seen as very strong anymore either.) And yet, he certainly is one of our great songwriters.

Pleaseee revive MAME on Bdwy with Lady Gaga....maybe wishful thinking

I'd like her to get some other bonafide theatre cred before attempting a role anything like that. Mame is a gigantic show in so many ways - I don't think there are many producers who would be ready to risk the entire rest of the production on someone in her 30's who has done no theatre since high school.

And...it just seems that the show isn't really screaming to be revived. I think it's a show destined to be a summerstock staple, and occasional regional show, more than a Broadway revival.

And in a way that's too bad, because I think outside of Dolly and La Cage, I don't tend to think there's much interest in any of Herman's other shows. (No one's about to fund a big Broadway revival of Dear World, or even Mack And Mabel, mainly because their books are huge letdowns. I personally feel the book of Mame isn't going to be seen as very strong anymore either.) And yet, he certainly is one of our great songwriters.

You make some valid points but Lady Gaga would sell out for a year if she starred in Mame.. How about Gaga in a movie remake of Mame? The Lucy movie, while I liked it, was a dud. Angela should have gotten the movir role, right?

You make some valid points but Lady Gaga would sell out for a year if she starred in Mame.. How about Gaga in a movie remake of Mame? The Lucy movie, while I liked it, was a dud. Angela should have gotten the movir role, right?

Archived