Hello Dolly after Bette

This topic is 2447 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

(She wasn't as good doing that South Pacific concert, but I know she got very little rehearsal.)

I saw her South Pacific concert in person. The DVD is better. Or, perhaps I enjoyed it so much because of seeing South Pacific on stage for the first time.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But, I think it matters a little less in these cases, when they created the roles in the first place.

In this case, it did matter. Merman had not aged well, her leading man was much younger and Gypsy was a much better relatively late in life fit.

I wonder if Parton would. But thinking along those lines, I wonder if Reba McEntire would consider it. She got a lot of acclaim when she replaced Bernadette in Annie Get Your Gun. (She wasn't as good doing that South Pacific concert, but I know she got very little rehearsal.)

I wish they would revive Mame- another over-due great musical. Maybe Lady Gaga would star !!! What do you think.?

In this case, it did matter. Merman had not aged well, her leading man was much younger and Gypsy was a much better relatively late in life fit.

True. And yes, Yarnell was a baby comparatively, lol. But I meant more in the sense of nostalgia - even if she wasn't as good as people had hoped, I think people went to see her because it was her, lol. The role hardly mattered. (And she doesn't sound bad at all on the recording, lol.)

I wish they would revive Mame- another over-due great musical. Maybe Lady Gaga would star !!! What do you think.?

The Mame question comes up all the time on All That Chat lol. And no one ever has a good suggestion for a potential Mame. I tend to wonder if the show itself would hold up as well anymore, despite the terrific score (save that horrid "Fox Hunt" number). It's also an odd show in the fact that there's no true leading man role (Beau dies too early, and has no real song either), which certainly doesn't rule it out, but it still does seem strange in a "classic" musical of its ilk.

And it's funny - ever since Gaga did that Sound Of Music medley, people have been buzzing about her doing a musical. But we have yet to hear her say that she actually wants to do one, lol. Might be interesting, though...

And it's funny - ever since Gaga did that Sound Of Music medley, people have been buzzing about her doing a musical. But we have yet to hear her say that she actually wants to do one, lol. Might be interesting, though...

Well, she is doing yet another movie remake of A Star is Born with Bradley Cooper. Perhaps there's a stage debut in her future.

Gaga as Mame? I dunno. The grandiose staginess she could convey. The genuine warmth for Patrick, however, I'm not so sure.

But I meant more in the sense of nostalgia - even if she wasn't as good as people had hoped, I think people went to see her because it was her....

Merman was Merman in "Gypsy" I saw the musical twice with Ethel. She was not as engaged in AGYG, perhaps because "Gypsy" has a better "book."

Brooke Shields was in one of the endless revivals of Grease (a show I wish would die and never come back lol) - they released a recording of her singing "There Are Worse Things I Could Do" (one of the few songs in the show I actually like).

I can safely say that there is NOTHING worse that she could do. :oops:

I saw Brooke Shields in an out-of-town tryout of a musical with Raul Esparza about a con man preacher - can't remember the name of the stupid thing - based on an old Steve Martin movie. She was just plain awful. Then I saw her in a stage version of The Exorcist at the Geffen (cross my heart!) with Richard Chamberlain. Indescribable.

perhaps because "Gypsy" has a better "book."

Isn't that an understatement, lol. Gypsy has one of the best books in all musical theatre, IMO.

Also, of course, the 1966 Annie Get Your Gun was extensively rewritten from the original. (I've never read the 1946 version, so I don't know how it compares in terms of craft, but I know a number of characters were eliminated, etc.) I still prefer the '66 version of the show to the '99 revival, though, which changed way too many other things. And because for so long it was the only licensed version of the show for performance, the '66 version is still the most familiar to most people.

And I do love "Old Fashioned Wedding," added in the '66 version. Because of the cut roles from the '46 version, "Who Do You Love, I Hope" and "I'll Share It All With You" went away in '66 as well. (And IMO, no love lost with "Who Do You Love" - to my ears, it's a pretty hokey song. "I'll Share It" is nice, though.)

I saw Brooke Shields in an out-of-town tryout of a musical with Raul Esparza about a con man preacher - can't remember the name of the stupid thing - based on an old Steve Martin movie. She was just plain awful. Then I saw her in a stage version of The Exorcist at the Geffen (cross my heart!) with Richard Chamberlain. Indescribable.

Good god... Wasn't one show with Shields enough? Were you repenting for some heinous sin? Was this something a priest told you to do? :)

Say five Hail Marys, two Our Fathers and suffer through six Brooke Shields shows. Amen.

Because of the cut roles from the '46 version, "Who Do You Love, I Hope" and "I'll Share It All With You" went away in '66 as well. (And IMO, no love lost with "Who Do You Love" - to my ears, it's a pretty hokey song. "I'll Share It" is nice, though.

I saw the Mary Martin/John Raitt version of "Annie Get Your Gun" on TV in 1957, and watched it many times on video tape since. I also saw Ginger Rogers in a summer theater production of AGYG in 1960 in Framingham, MA

All of those songs are completely new to me. To repeat, I know the Martin/Raitt version very well. And I once owned the OBC record with Merman.

I have nothing more to write on this subject. It's a musical I never particularly liked.

And I once owned the OBC record with Merman.

"Who Do You Love, I Hope" is on that OBC recording.

I got to know the show as a young teen, when the local summer youth theatre was doing it, and I was cast in several small roles. I remember getting a copy of the score we were using (the 1966 version) and listening to the OBC, and getting very confused, because most of the arrangements didn't match up. (Later I'd discover the recording of the 1966 version, and all was well, lol.) But I do remember hearing "Who Do You Love" that first time, and hoping to god they wouldn't put that song back in our version, lol. They didn't. Thank god.

I wish Audra McDonald would/could give it a shot.

She could, I'm sure. Would she - not so sure. I assume after she finishes Lady Day in London that she might want to spend more time with her family, having recently had a 2nd child. But I don't know.

I'm more interested in the rumors I'm hearing about a male Dolly (at some point)...

A male Dolly would be interesting. Harvey Fierstein would be perfect!! Come to think of it, he'd make a great Mame too. :D

edited to add: Ditto for Charles Busch, on both counts.

Rob

A male Dolly would be interesting. Harvey Fierstein would be perfect!! Come to think of it, he'd make a great Mame too. :D

Rob

See, and Harvey would ruin both shows for me. He'd play it camp. It would take all sincerity out of Dolly or Mame.

Busch could be interesting if he were directed properly. He can go high camp, but his dramatic and comedic range are really quite good.

HI

You do make some interesting comments here. As much as I would like to see her in this, the chances are really slim. I did see Bette (big fan here too) and I was mildly disappointed. To me, the movie with Babs was sooo much better. Her young age did not bother me. I would have loved to see Pearl Bailey as Dolly. I play the cast recording over and over. I think Dolly Parton would be a great Dolly too after Bette leaves.

Pearl Bailey was great! Literally stopped the show... Ive posted about it elsewhere

LEAP OF FAITH

Rob

I think hes past the ability.

They minimized his participation in some big numbers in the tv version of Hairspray.

Archived