Hello Dolly after Bette

This topic is 2443 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
She would be better than Bette and sell out for another year of shows.

Perhaps. I'm not a fan of either in the role, to be honest.

Donna Murphy is absolutely killing Tuesday evening performances. She's the whole package. Murphy's Dolly is a much more-realized character than what Midler is doing and even though she's not an above-the-title name, her performance is riveting.

I'm more interested in the rumors I'm hearing about a male Dolly (at some point) and Rudin pulling a page from the Merrick playbook with an all-black Dolly.

That was a bad role for Streisand but movie-makers think with their box office $$ first. Was the same for The Wiz, Ross was nothing in that role and her voice never measured up for what the songs required. I'm a big Barbra fan but, just like Hello Dolly the movie, "back to Broadway" for Babs WOULD make big bucks!!

JerryByTheSea, I'm not trying to be mean here, but please put your fanboy side away and face reality, lol. I don't think Streisand would be able to do any kind of 8-times-a-week run at this point, even in a role less strenuous than Dolly is. Also, the voice is hardly what it was (which is not unexpected, but still...) - judging from her telecast NYC concert a few years ago. Her range is iffy on both ends, and though she can still sell the songs as always, I don't think the instrument is up for that kind of Broadway schedule. (And the way she pushed vocally through the Gypsy material - not well at all - was also quite telling.)

Liza was interviewed a few years back, saying she knew she couldn't take on a run like that anymore (something which was already clear during her last Broadway show, The Rink) - I would bet that Streisand might say something similar.

Besides, who said that Dolly needs to be quite so OLD? Channing was 43 at the premiere, which actually seems about right to me. Donna Murphy is 58, though she sure doesn't look it, lol. Bailey was 50. Martin was 52. Barbra was actually way too young for the role when she did the film, of course. (And IMO, wrong for the role in almost every way. Painful to watch.) I think the current production would be best served by someone in their 40's/50's.

Also, I would argue that Dolly is not "a role [streisand] knows." The screenplay is different than the stage show. The opening song is completely different. And of course none of the staging/choreography of the current production would have anything to do with the film. It's a role she'd have to learn all over again - and it's been 48 years since she did it. And of course, she never even did it in sequence, lol - films aren't generally shot from start to finish. So in reality, she's never done the role in any semblance to the way it would be done onstage.

JerryByTheSea, I'm not trying to be mean here, but please put your fanboy side away and face reality, lol. I don't think Streisand would be able to do any kind of 8-times-a-week run at this point, even in a role less strenuous than Dolly is. Also, the voice is hardly what it was (which is not unexpected, but still...) - judging from her telecast NYC concert a few years ago. Her range is iffy on both ends, and though she can still sell the songs as always, I don't think the instrument is up for that kind of Broadway schedule. (And the way she pushed vocally through the Gypsy material - not well at all - was also quite telling.)

Liza was interviewed a few years back, saying she knew she couldn't take on a run like that anymore (something which was already clear during her last Broadway show, The Rink) - I would bet that Streisand might say something similar.

Besides, who said that Dolly needs to be quite so OLD? Channing was 43 at the premiere, which actually seems about right to me. Donna Murphy is 58, though she sure doesn't look it, lol. Bailey was 50. Martin was 52. Barbra was actually way too young for the role when she did the film, of course. (And IMO, wrong for the role in almost every way. Painful to watch.) I think the current production would be best served by someone in their 40's/50's.

I fully disagree (many others would too) on all of your views. *1- Barbra would not have to do 8 perfs. Donna M , who is amazing, could do matinees while Babs does eves #2- Her voice is fine. I sa w her in concert this year in Bklyn and she sings better than ever. She c ertainly can still hit those high notes, And Dolly's score is not at all challenging. #3- Barbra looks 20 years younger than her current age.so the age factor is a non issue.#4- The right money offer could convince Barbra to take on this role#5- Yes I am a big fan((minus the politics) and proud of it !!!!

I fully disagree (many others would too) on all of your views. *1- Barbra would not have to do 8 perfs. Donna M , who is amazing, could do matinees while Babs does eves #2- Her voice is fine. I sa w her in concert this year in Bklyn and she sings better than ever. She c ertainly can still hit those high notes, And Dolly's score is not at all challenging. #3- Barbra looks 20 year younger than her current age.so the age factor is a non issue.

Even if Donna did the matinees, that's still a lot of shows (6 a week) - I wouldn't be so sure that Barbra would sign that contract. And it's not even so much that the songs are that challenging (though they're no walk in the park either, except perhaps the title song and her section of "Dancing"), it's more that it's a long role where she'd be onstage the majority of the time.

And it's not a question of how old she looks - MY comment was in why we're looking so much for someone in the 70+ crowd (as Diana Ross was also mentioned) to play a role that really should go to a younger actress in general.

And I still stand by my comments about the film. Her doing the scenes from the film has absolutely nothing to do with her doing the role as written for the stage. She really would have to learn the entire role from the top.

Also, don't forget that Bette had weeks of previews to work her way through getting comfortable in the role. (And she struggled a bit - lots of ad libbing about how tired she was, some trouble with dropped lines/lyrics, etc) - whoever replaces her won't get that generous amount of time. Streisand, who hasn't done a true stage role in about 50 years, would certainly want that time.

... younger actress in general

Agree. It's a big reason why I like Murphy. She's a sexier Dolly... And that's a good thing.

Other names along the lines of 'traditional' recasting: Debra Monk. Sure, she's a no-namer to most people, but damn she could do it justice.

I've also heard the feelers have been put out to Bernadette Peters.

That was a bad role for Streisand but movie-makers think with their box office $$ first. Was the same for The Wiz, Ross was nothing in that role and her voice never measured up for what the songs required. I'm a big Barbra fan but, just like Hello Dolly the movie, "back to Broadway" for Babs WOULD make big bucks!!

If I remember correctly, the movie was cast because Streisand was supposed to generate box office. But, after a quick good opening, it petered out and never recovered the production costs.

Not that she'd consider it anyway.

Itll probably become a vehicle for rotating stars

Linda Lavin

Queen Latifah

Brooke Shields

Marilu Henner

Melanie Griffith

Kinda Terrifying

Brooke Shields was in one of the endless revivals of Grease (a show I wish would die and never come back lol) - they released a recording of her singing "There Are Worse Things I Could Do" (one of the few songs in the show I actually like).

I can safely say that there is NOTHING worse that she could do. :oops:

Donna Murphy is 58, though she sure doesn't look it, lol. Bailey was 50. Martin was 52.

In the 1960s, early 50s was considered older than now. "Gypsy" was Merman last new musical; she was only 51 when the show opened.

Donna Murphy has the talent and drive to take the role. But, I understand Kinda Terrifying (see above) may do Tuesday nights.

In the 1960s, early 50s was considered older than now. "Gypsy" was Merman last new musical; she was only 51 when the show opened.

Donna Murphy has the talent and drive to take the role. But, I understand Kinda Terrifying (see above) may do Tuesday nights.

Yes - I wonder how Ms. Terrifying will do, lol. :D

Of course, Merman was cast as the teenage Annie Oakley when she was pushing 40...:D

Even if Donna did the matinees, that's still a lot of shows (6 a week) - I wouldn't be so sure that Barbra would sign that contract. And it's not even so much that the songs are that challenging (though they're no walk in the park either, except perhaps the title song and her section of "Dancing"), it's more that it's a long role where she'd be onstage the majority of the time.

And it's not a question of how old she looks - MY comment was in why we're looking so much for someone in the 70+ crowd (as Diana Ross was also mentioned) to play a role that really should go to a younger actress in general.

And I still stand by my comments about the film. Her doing the scenes from the film has absolutely nothing to do with her doing the role as written for the stage. She really would have to learn the entire role from the top.

Also, don't forget that Bette had weeks of previews to work her way through getting comfortable in the role. (And she struggled a bit - lots of ad libbing about how tired she was, some trouble with dropped lines/lyrics, etc) - whoever replaces her won't get that generous amount of time. Streisand, who hasn't done a true stage role in about 50 years, would certainly want that time.

HI

You do make some interesting comments here. As much as I would like to see her in this, the chances are really slim. I did see Bette (big fan here too) and I was mildly disappointed. To me, the movie with Babs was sooo much better. Her young age did not bother me. I would have loved to see Pearl Bailey as Dolly. I play the cast recording over and over. I think Dolly Parton would be a great Dolly too after Bette leaves.

I wonder if Parton would. But thinking along those lines, I wonder if Reba McEntire would consider it. She got a lot of acclaim when she replaced Bernadette in Annie Get Your Gun. (She wasn't as good doing that South Pacific concert, but I know she got very little rehearsal.)

Of course, Merman was cast as the teenage Annie Oakley when she was pushing 40..

Merman was much too old for the 1960s revival of Annie Get Your Gun, especially the 1967 TV version. I did see it the night AGYG was broadcast, never to appear again anywhere. Merman was born in 1908.

Merman was much too old for the 1960s revival of Annie Get Your Gun, especially the 1967 TV version. I did see it the night AGYG was broadcast, never to appear again anywhere. Merman was born in 1908.

Well, I'd compare Merman doing the AGYG revival to Channing doing the 1990's revival of Dolly - both were too old. But, I think it matters a little less in these cases, when they created the roles in the first place.

Archived