Hello Dolly after Bette

This topic is 2442 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You make some valid points but Lady Gaga would sell out for a year if she starred in Mame.. How about Gaga in a movie remake of Mame? The Lucy movie, while I liked it, was a dud. Angela should have gotten the movir role, right?

I would prefer a revival of the play, not the musical. The play would offer a much wider selections of actress posibilities in a part very difficult to cast.

You make some valid points but Lady Gaga would sell out for a year if she starred in Mame.. How about Gaga in a movie remake of Mame? The Lucy movie, while I liked it, was a dud. Angela should have gotten the movir role, right?

I would prefer a revival of the play, not the musical. The play would offer a much wider selections of actress posibilities in a part very difficult to cast.

I had a few brief encounters with Mr. Dennis in the 70's when I was working at St. Vincent's Hospital and he was a patient there. It is difficult to believe that there was ever a doubt as to his interest in men.

I read "Around the World with Auntie Mame" not long after publication. That book was, if anything, more gay-oriented than "Auntie Mame." And I was older myself.

I'm still hoping they recast with Ann Miller...

936full-ann-miller.jpg

I saw her and Gary Sandy in Best Little Whorehouse when it was touring and she was great, too bad it wasn't on broadway because she would have received as least a Tony nomination for the performance.

I was looking forward to seeing her in Mr. Mercedes but unfortunately she got sick before they started filming it:(

I'm hearing reports that Donna Murphy may take over the run after Bette leaves. Good.

Was donna the one filling in for Bette when she was off the week of the 4th? If so the investors may not agree with you:) Tickets for Hello Dolly were available that week at TCKTS discounted.

I don't know why people on here don't like Bette, I've seen the show twice this year with Bette and she was great and deserved the Tony even though she forgot a couple words when singing Hello Dolly when I saw it in March:) But she did a great job of improvising

Was donna the one filling in for Bette when she was off the week of the 4th? If so the investors may not agree with you:) Tickets for Hello Dolly were available that week at TCKTS discounted.

She was. She also has gotten virtually NO promos - it's almost as if Rudin's trying to keep her a secret. Which is just ridiculous, IMO.

Murphy is a very well-respected Broadway professional, but no, she's not really a "name" outside the theatre community. It could be that Rudin is having trouble coming up with a true name star. However, from reports I've heard, there is nothing inferior at all about Murphy's Dolly - as is to be expected. (I've heard plenty of comments from people that have seen both actresses, who have said that Midler is essentially playing Midler, while Murphy is playing Dolly. But no, that may not mean much in terms of box office.)

I'd say they should get Okieriete Onaodowan, lol, but it would be the same problem...(I'm kidding, of course.)

She was. She also has gotten virtually NO promos - it's almost as if Rudin's trying to keep her a secret. Which is just ridiculous, IMO.

Murphy is a very well-respected Broadway professional, but no, she's not really a "name" outside the theatre community. It could be that Rudin is having trouble coming up with a true name star. However, from reports I've heard, there is nothing inferior at all about Murphy's Dolly - as is to be expected. (I've heard plenty of comments from people that have seen both actresses, who have said that Midler is essentially playing Midler, while Murphy is playing Dolly. But no, that may not mean much in terms of box office.)

I'd say they should get Okieriete Onaodowan, lol, but it would be the same problem...(I'm kidding, of course.)

They should try to get Lady Gaga or Dolly Parton to follow Bette. Perhaps a black cast headed by Diana Ross (same age as Bette) should be considered.

They should try to get Lady Gaga or Dolly Parton to follow Bette. Perhaps a black cast headed by Diana Ross (same age as Bette) should be considered.

Circular arguments that we just don't need to have anymore, really. There is no evidence that Gaga, Parton, or Ross would be interested in a full Broadway schedule. And at this point, there wouldn't be enough time to get them on board. I think it either has to be Murphy, who obviously knows the role and the production, or another specifically Broadway name who would have the skills to learn the role quickly. It's not like they can go into rehearsals tomorrow - this all has to be planned out. And the logic of promoting Murphy to full time is that they wouldn't need to do any extra rehearsing at all. And/or, they'd have more time to secure a new star to come in sometime later.

And no, they're not going to throw out the whole rest of the cast to recreate the all-black concept of the Pearl Bailey production for the sake of some crazy fantasy of getting Diana Ross lol. (And I think that would actually seem like a terrible move considering the recent Great Comet debacle.)

Sounds like, at this point, the rumor about Murphy taking over the show post-Midler is just that - a rumor.

I still think it would be a good idea, though. At least temporarily. And if Scott Rudin is smart, he won't try to cast someone of an advanced age who hasn't done a long Broadway run before.

Archived