Hello Dolly after Bette

This topic is 2470 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I do not understand the gushing over Bernadette Peters. Didn't you see how she ruined "A Little Night Music"? Unfortunately I have seen here way more than I wish. Aside from "Dames at Sea" in which she was brilliant and "Sunday in the Park With George" where she was also brilliant (and this in a show I did not like!) I have never seen her when she has not dragged down the quality of the show she was in. Remember her horrific performance in "Follies"? I don't get her any more than I get Lizard....ooops....I mean Liza.

As I have said before out of all of the Dolly's I have seen - Channing, Merman, Bailey, Raye, Rogers, Streisand, Hines, and a few I can't remember...Betty Grable gave the only performance that showed Dolly as a character and not as a caricature.

I'm not thrilled with Bernadette taking over either, but it keeps a lot of show people working and I'm always for that.

Just because Liza is now a caricature of herself doesn't mean she wasn't a BRILLIANT talent in her heyday. Give her credit. She earned that respect.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just because Liza is now a caricature of herself doesn't mean she wasn't a BRILLIANT talent in her heyday. Give her credit. She earned that respect.

My dislike of her began with her performance in "Flora the Red Menace" and the only times my opinion has changed is when she was directed by Fosse - "Cabaret" and "Liza With a Z." Otherwise she just annoyed me.

Not saying much especially since Zeta-Jones was no better than Peters. I did, however enjoy Stritch.

I thought Peters was a lot better in the role than Jones. Elaine was great, I loved how she belched at the end of Liasons. Another thing I'll give Elaine credit for is she realized she was too old to be doing that many shows a week and cut out two of the weekly performances Angela and Jones did.

I could not link your comments earlier.

Saw Liza's Winter Garden concert with her dad also in the audience. I can understand not liking her as person, but there's no question that Liza was very talented -- age has slowed her down now.

Her performance for starters.

I believe what people are asking is, what didn't you like about her performance.

In having a real conversation about theater, we need to move past snarky one-liners.

Most importantly, I just like good discussion when it comes to performance. I might not agree with you, but it always opens me up to another viewpoint. That's a good thing.

But if it's able to keep running like the original, HELLO CHENO seems inevitable...

I think Chenoweth would make a marvelous Minnie Fay, or Ernestina. (Though I know it's long past her "supporting role" days.) I don't really see her as Dolly. I don't think a Dolly on helium would work.

I also have to say - she's a very talented performer in the right material. When she truly sings (meaning not with the character/caricature voice that first made her noticeable in shows like A New Brain and Charlie Brown) she can be quite wonderful. However, I cannot stand her squeaky speaking voice. Ever.

sings[/b] (meaning not with the character/caricature voice that first made her noticeable in shows like A New Brain and Charlie Brown) she can be quite wonderful. However, I cannot stand her squeaky speaking voice. Ever.

I agree. Watch this if you want to see her at her best:

I believe what people are asking is, what didn't you like about her performance.

In having a real conversation about theater, we need to move past snarky one-liners.

Most importantly, I just like good discussion when it comes to performance. I might not agree with you, but it always opens me up to another viewpoint. That's a good thing.

After all these years it is almost impossible to be specific about what I saw. I do remember finding her amateurish with no subtlety or nuance to her performance. I do remember thinking that if she were not Judy Garland's daughter she never would have been cast in the part.

My intention is never to rely on "snarky one liners" but sometimes they may sound that way. They are not intended as such.

(I wasn't fond of Lonny Price's gimmicky "staging" for this concert Candide, but the performances in general were marvelous.)

I'm not fond of much of what Price does.

His staging of this last Sunset Blvd at the Palace was terrible. Felt like community theater.

... And then there was the suffering through Glenn Close missing most of her money notes.

She's got a strong mezzo-soprano, yes, but that's not the clip I'd use to focus on her as a Dolly-type.

I much prefer her tone and her clear ability to belt in this clip:

No way would I cast her as Dolly. Now Patti LuPone....there's an interesting thought!

No way would I cast her as Dolly. Now Patti LuPone....there's an interesting thought!

As much as I appreciate LuPone's talent, I don't know if she's right for Dolly. She'd get the comedy, but I don't know if she'd kill the monologue at the end. Warmth can escape her.

I also have doubts in how she'd deliver the songs. I heard her sing something not long ago (from Ragtime) that, while belted to the hilt, didn't work at all in how she delivered it. What should have been an acted-out song of growth and strength just became loud and garish. It was heartbreaking to listen to.

She ruined the song.

As much as I appreciate LuPone's talent, I don't know if she's right for Dolly. She'd get the comedy, but I don't know if she'd kill the monologue at the end. Warmth can escape her.

I also have doubts in how she'd deliver the songs. I heard her sing something not long ago (from Ragtime) that, while belted to the hilt, didn't work at all in how she delivered it. What should have been an acted-out song of growth and strength just became loud and garish. It was heartbreaking to listen to.

She ruined the song.

I'll try not to be snarky, but watch LuPone's duet with Kevin Spacey at the end of last year's Tonys. Now THAT'S ruining a song.

I'll try not to be snarky, but watch LuPone's duet with Kevin Spacey at the end of last year's Tonys. Now THAT'S ruining a song.

The duet from War Paint wasn't much better. I enjoyed Ebersole, but I couldn't understand one word that mealy-mouthed LuPone sang.

But, to be fair, there were other problems with that duet with Spacey. He wasn't right for it either - and really, the song wasn't appropriate or needed - and it was actually a real downer. (And given that the broadcast was running so late already - something CBS has hissy fits about - they really should have cut it for that reason.)

Archived