Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland and Seattle

Tomaus
This topic is 2480 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hi guys

Visiting Aussie here and catching the Amtrak Starlight up the coast from LA to Seattle, and after some tips on where to stay in each place for a few nights and what to do / places to go.

Any feedback would be very welcome.

Besides the obvious bundle of single dollar bills for the strippers at Silverado and Stag, please arrange for an Uber or Lyft account- altho the distance between clubs and downtown hotels is short, Downtown Portland is getting rougher and rougher every month- hate to see a forum member get rolled or worse on the mean streets of the Rose City!

San Francisco can be a challenging area for lodging. Also, the train actually bypasses SF due to the geography. The San Francisco stop is probably Oakland, with a bus into SF.

For lodging, check the discount hotel sites. Be aware of wide variations, due to major conferences or busy tourist times. Example, I considered getting a hotel room for 1 night.... last weekend, there was nothing decent under $350. This weekend, there are many deals in nice hotels @ $150-$200.

If youve never been to SF, dont automatically avoid all tourist attractions. Example, the Alcatraz tour is worthwhile.

Hi guys

Visiting Aussie here and catching the Amtrak Starlight up the coast from LA to Seattle, and after some tips on where to stay in each place for a few nights and what to do / places to go.

Any feedback would be very welcome.

@Gar1eth might have some suggestions for Seattle. I believe he is up in those parts. I might humbly add my 2 cents and point out that the Space Needle is a worthwhile look see, as is the ferry through the Puget sound to Vancouver. Simply stunning country. Once in Vancouver, I would not miss the Butchart Gardens. We did a tour that spilled over into the evening hours. Once the lights in the garden come on as the sun sets, it is breathtaking.

Butchart Gardens

@Gar1eth might have some suggestions for Seattle. I believe he is up in those parts. I might humbly add my 2 cents and point out that the Space Needle is a worthwhile look see, as is the ferry through the Puget sound to Vancouver. Simply stunning country. Once in Vancouver, I would not miss the Butchart Gardens. We did a tour that spilled over into the evening hours. Once the lights in the garden come on, it is almost magical.

Butchart Gardens

Let me add, the ferry trip through the San Juan Islands to Sidney BC is wonderful. I stopped for an overnight on one of the islands (in the US).

@Gar1eth might have some suggestions for Seattle. I believe he is up in those parts. I might humbly add my 2 cents and point out that the Space Needle is a worthwhile look see, as is the ferry through the Puget sound to Vancouver. Simply stunning country. Once in Vancouver, I would not miss the Butchart Gardens. We did a tour that spilled over into the evening hours. Once the lights in the garden come on as the sun sets, it is breathtaking.

Butchart Gardens

Just FYI, Butchart Gardens is on Vancouver Island, which is separate from Vancouver (the city).

Not sure if you’ve already passed by Seattle, but I always recommend people go to the skyview observatory for a good view. It is quite a bit higher than the space needle so the views are just as good, but it’s less expensive and touristy. A ferry ride to Bainbridge Island always makes a nice day trip this time of year. And as far as @latbear4blk ‘s recommendation, I note that Mr. Baker does travel north on occasion and appears to be visiting our city at the moment.

San Francisco can be a challenging area for lodging. Also, the train actually bypasses SF due to the geography. The San Francisco stop is probably Oakland, with a bus into SF.

For lodging, check the discount hotel sites. Be aware of wide variations, due to major conferences or busy tourist times. Example, I considered getting a hotel room for 1 night.... last weekend, there was nothing decent under $350. This weekend, there are many deals in nice hotels @ $150-$200.

If youve never been to SF, dont automatically avoid all tourist attractions. Example, the Alcatraz tour is worthwhile.

People go to San Francisco for the first time and don't see anything but tourist attractions like Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39 and still come back saying what a wonderful city it is and they can't wait to go back. So even tourist attractions aren't to bad.

Steinhart Aquarium is nice.

San Francisco is full of staircases that are very scenic:

http://www.sfgate.com/outdoors/article/The-Bay-Area-s-best-staircases-3819256.php

The Ghiberti doors on Grace Cathedral are worth a look. They are replicas of "The Doors of Paradise" on the Baptistry in Florence, designed by Ghiberti.

10 or 15 years ago, the Ferry Building was redeveloped and turned into wonderful retail space - devoted mostly to food and things culinary. My partner and I enjoy having lunch there on weekends.

Check out the wild parrots of San Francisco.

If it's in season, try to get Symphony tickets. Davies Hall is simply a wonderful space for listening to symphonic music and the SF Symphony Orchestra is world-class. You can get same-day tickets cheap.

Archived