Angels In America - NTLive from London

edjames
This topic is 2487 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Did you know that this weekend, and next, the new London production is being simulcast this weekend at various theater across the USA and other world locations? AND, FREQUENT TOPIC OF THIS THREAD, RUSSELL TOVEY IS ONE OF THE STARS? NATHAN LANE, ANDREW GARFIELD AND JAMES MCARDLE, TOO.

Here in NYC, I think the Skirball Center is the only location, but check the website.

NTLive events are often repeated, so other dates may be available.

Fathom Events continues to offer the best theatrical presentation for audiences across America and the next NT Live is next week.

Andrew Garfield (“Silence,” “Hacksaw Ridge”) stars in “Angels in America,” a story set in New York during the 1980s AIDS crisis in a conservative America, as people fight for their lives. “Angels in America” will be broadcast in two parts; “Part 1: Millennium Approaches” on Thursday, July 20 at 7:00 p.m. local time and “Part 2: Perestroika” on Thursday, July 27 at 7:00 p.m. local time. Andrew Garfield plays Prior Walter alongside cast including Denise Gough (“People, Places and Things”), Nathan Lane (“The Producers”), James McArdle (“Star Wars: The Force Awakens”) and Russell Tovey (“The Pass”).

This new staging of Tony Kushner’s multi award-winning two-part play is directed by Olivier® and Tony Award-winning director Marianne Elliott (“The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time” and “War Horse”). “Part One: Millennium Approaches” was first performed at the National Theatre in 1992 and was followed by “Part Two: Perestroika” the following year.

“National Theatre Live continues to make some of the best stage shows with the biggest names accessible to cinema audiences,” Fathom Events Vice President of Programming Kymberli Frueh said. “Theatre fans of all kinds will appreciate these two compelling shows from the ‘best seats in the house’ – at their local movie theater.”

Tickets for “NT LIVE: Angels in America” can be purchased online by visiting www.FathomEvents.com or at participating theater box offices. Fans throughout the U.S. will be able to enjoy the event in more than 500 select movie theaters through Fathom’s Digital Broadcast Network (DBN). For a complete list of theater locations visit the Fathom Events website (theaters and participants are subject to change).

http://www.theglobaldispatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/NT-Live-Angels-in-America-624x328.jpg

Did you know that this weekend, and next, the new London production is being simulcast this weekend at various theater across the USA and other world locations? AND, FREQUENT TOPIC OF THIS THREAD, RUSSELL TOVEY IS ONE OF THE STARS? NATHAN LANE, ANDREW GARFIELD AND JAMES MCARDLE, TOO.

I have a ticket for the Skirball Center showing next Friday, but I may see something else in NYC instead. Neither Nathan Lane nor Andrew Garfield lack Broadway credits; I have seen both men on stage in NYC.

Here in my Midwest city, the theaters (mainly a number of local Cinemark theaters here) will be showing this NT production in HD; part 1 on Thursday, July 20 and part 2 a week later on Thursday, July 27. Anyone interested should check their local listings or do a search through the Fathom Events website. Both showings are through Fathom which, in addition to a number of other special productions of various entertainment events shown in theaters, is the company that provides the Metropolitan Opera "Live in HD" productions during the MET opera season.

TruHart1 :cool:

I checked my "local" listings only to find I'd have to drive 150 miles to San Antonio to see this. I hope it gets to a streaming service eventually.

I attended Part 1 last evening and was truly impressed with the cast, every actor nailed their character! As I noted in another thread, the mainly non-American cast (Nathan Lane being the exception) had spot on (to my ears) American accents! Sorry the showing 'near' you was so far away, @g56whiz but if it ever does become available through a streaming service or is released on blu-ray, it is a not to be missed phenomenal performance!

nintchdbpict000336868252.jpg?strip=all&w=960&quality=100

I saw Part 1 last night and agree with TruHart1's comments. The cast was amazing! The sets suck and from time to time the camera pans out too far, other than that a most amazing, but long, evening.

Do not despair. NTLive often repeats these showings, so keep checking their website for future dates.

ED

In the original production Prior had a brief nude scene in Part 1 when the nurse was examining him. Joe had one in Part 2 when he rips off his Mormon underwear. Did Andrew Garfield flash anything?

Not really. For the nurse's exam, he stripped to boxers and the nurse pulled out the elastic in front and then in back so she could see his bits and ass but the audience could not. To me it appeared that Mr. Garfield may have lost a bit of weight for this run to appear closer to emaciation, though even so, I found his slim body's musculature quite nicely developed!

We'll see next week in Part 2 whether this production has Joe Pitt rip off his LDS 'temple garment(s)' onstage or not. With my avid appreciation of Mr. Tovey's physical attributes I sincerely hope he shall! :D

Also coming in November on NTLive...Follies! Check Sonheie Fans thread for detail....

I know the hostess for the NT Live HD broadcast referenced the Follies production but I am unclear as to whether the HD broadcast of Follies would be shown in the UK in November (as the AiA HD broadcast was originally shown in March there) and then shown later in 2018 for the international markets? Do you know for sure, @edjames?

Never mind. I see, thanks to your link to NT Live (http://ntlive.nationaltheatre.org.uk/productions/63102-follies) on the Sondheim thread, that there are showings in the US in November and December of 2017.

Not really. For the nurse's exam, he stripped to boxers and the nurse pulled out the elastic in front and then in back so she could see his bits and ass but the audience could not. To me it appeared that Mr. Garfield may have lost a bit of weight for this run to appear closer to emaciation, though even so, I found his slim body's musculature quite nicely developed!

We'll see next week in Part 2 whether this production has Joe Pitt rip off his LDS 'temple garment(s)' onstage or not. With my avid appreciation of Mr. Tovey's physical attributes I sincerely hope he shall! :D

We saw Part 2 in the theatre. FWIW Part 2 is rather longer than Part 1, and we found it less compelling. But to answer the earlier question: Yes, Russell Tovey stripped off his 'temple garments' and we saw all of him.

We saw Part 2 in the theatre. FWIW Part 2 is rather longer than Part 1, and we found it less compelling. But to answer the earlier question: Yes, Russell Tovey stripped off his 'temple garments' and we saw all of him.

I saw Part 2 last night. It is true that that when Russell strips off his temple garments, he is completely nude onstage. He faces Louis though and does not show his front, so we get a nice long view of his gorgeous ass but that's all. I have seen Angels in America a few times before so I did not find Part 2 less compelling than Part 1 but maybe because I knew what to expect. This National Theater production is so well cast though, I left completely satisfied. Prior's final uplifting speech always gets to me and brings tears to my eyes but for me, Andrew Garfield's reading was even more special.

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/andrew-garfield-attends-the-press-night-performance-of-angels-in-at-picture-id678805316

A note for those who might have missed this excellent production: I noticed another local "indie" theater in my area has a showing of Part 1 on August 16 and Part 2 on August 23 coming up in their schedule, so if you would like to catch it, check your local cinemas' schedules. It is certainly worth seeing IMHO.

I hesitate to annoy you, TruHart1, but on the night we went to the theatre in London, we did see the naked Mr Tovey's front as well as his "gorgeous ass".

As regards on-stage nudity in London theatre currently, however, nothing compares to the production of "Cat On A Hot Tin Roof". It opens with 'Brick", played by Jack O'Connell, showering nude on stage and he remains nude for most of the first half of the play.

I hesitate to annoy you, TruHart1, but on the night we went to the theatre in London, we did see the naked Mr Tovey's front as well as his "gorgeous ass".

I assumed it wasn't because they wanted to broadcast it without a lot of issues...

As regards on-stage nudity in London theatre currently, however, nothing compares to the production of "Cat On A Hot Tin Roof". It opens with 'Brick", played by Jack O'Connell, showering nude on stage and he remains nude for most of the first half of the play.

http://www.westendtheatre.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/cat-on-a-hot-tin-roof-r02.jpg

http://www.westendtheatre.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/cat-on-a-hot-tin-roof-p004.jpg

cat-on-a-hot-tin-roof.jpg?w=670&h=377&crop=1

Okay, now I will furiously search for any plans to broadcast this in the US...

I saw "Cat On A Hot Tin Roof " in London with Brendan Fraser in 2001 without any nude scenes. This was around the time of the film "Gods and Monsters."

(it was actually the night before 9/11/2001.)

Oh, well. LOL

I guess I'm a little annoyed by the fact that "whoever" decided to change this part of the staging for the HD theatre mass consumption release, but for whatever reason, there was nothing I could have done about it save for buying a ticket during the run and traveling to London which was certainly not within my budget at the time. I tend to look at it in the light of my being lucky to get to see a great production of an excellent theatrical experience.

It does bring to mind my experience with a play I saw on Broadway, The Nance, by playwright Douglas Carter Beane, starring Nathan Lane, set in the 1930's about a man who earned a living in Vaudeville as a "nance," a comedian whose entire stage routine was to parody stereotypical feminine homosexual mannerisms for laughs from the audience. In this production, Jonny Orsini played Ned, a young man who goes home with Lane's character, Chauncey, and, after a night of love-making, takes a bath onstage the following morning while Chauncey is making breakfast.

In the Broadway production this entails quite a bit of natural nudity, drying off and some sexual teasing of the older man by the younger man. I was impressed with both Orsini's body and his acting. A year or so later, when PBS featured a film of this same production, they had decided to eliminate the nudity completely. Yes, Orsini takes a bath but the TV audience does not see him get out of the bathtub and the sexual teasing is done with a towel around his waist! Here is Mr. Orsini with Nathan Lane in the play:

nance-jumbo.jpg

I assumed it wasn't because they wanted to broadcast it without a lot of issues...

http://www.westendtheatre.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/cat-on-a-hot-tin-roof-r02.jpg

http://www.westendtheatre.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/cat-on-a-hot-tin-roof-p004.jpg

cat-on-a-hot-tin-roof.jpg?w=670&h=377&crop=1

Okay, now I will furiously search for any plans to broadcast this in the US...

Please let us know, @LoveNDino, if and when you find that this production will be broadcast in the US!!!:);)

I saw "Cat On A Hot Tin Roof " in London with Brendan Fraser in 2001 without any nude scenes. This was around the time of the film "Gods and Monsters."

(it was actually the night before 9/11/2001.)

Oh, well. LOL

WOW! Brendan was in the best physical shape of his life for "Gods and Monsters" and it remains my favorite Bill Condon movie! Even without nudity, I would have loved seeing him onstage during that time!

WOW! Brendan was in the best physical shape of his life for "Gods and Monsters" and it remains my favorite Bill Condon movie! Even without nudity, I would have loved seeing him onstage during that time!

I never had time to think about Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, or that Brendan Fraser did not have a nude scene. My goal on 9/11/2001 was to take a train to Paris as quickly as possible. I know Paris far better than London.

Archived