Excellent Covers

LoveNDino

ORIGINAL:

EXCELLENT COVER:

AWFUL COVER:

How unimpressive. But of course anything Elaine Paige has ever done since CHESS is bound to be a let-down. So are they gonna mangle Lonely Boy and the MAD ABOUT YOU theme, too? (all written by Andrew Gold)

I could’ve sworn Johnny Mathis was dead. Are they sure it was him recording?

How come Jason Bateman’s father in law gets next to last billing on the cover? Never mind... I just realized they alphabetized by FIRST name.

How is it possible an album of duets was recorded and Tony Bennett was not involved?

I assume Idina Menzel was asked to do this before her Geico commercial ran… I couldn’t believe how annoying a Broadway star’s voice could be… so grating.

Edited by samhexum

Is it still considered an excellent cover if the artist does a superior version after the original?

yes. the recording artist to me has to at least make the original song their own and sing it as good or better than the original for me to consider it a cover. if they did not do both, or just sang the original version well, then they just...'performed' the original song...?‍♂️

Is it still considered an excellent cover if the artist does a superior version after the original?

Well, to me it is just two versions of one bad song. ;) If someone else had done a version of it, then you would have had one other person doing a version of a bad song.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 1/17/2021 at 10:45 AM, Lucky said:

Wonder what happened with the OP. He hasn't posted since November, 2019.

I texted him around the time he left Cali.   No response.  I assumed he just moved on.

Here is a cover that is excellent for the talent of the band.   The players were all 20+ year old from Hungary.

• 4 weeks later...