Excellent Covers

LoveNDino

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Exactly a year ago driving out to Palm Springs I wondered about a huge Billie Eilish billboard along the highway. Who?

Eileen Ivers does a cool cover.

To me she's like a futuristic Karen Carpenter, performing her brother's songs.

Edited by E.T.Bass

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Live recording, Rio de Janeiro

Rex Harrison first sang/talked this song in "My Fair Lady."

Marlene Dietrich had sex with men and women.

Note: Judy Garland told Jack Paar on television that Dietrich once arrived with a large record of just applause from her recent tour of Germany. Marlene would identify the cities: "that's Berlin"

or "Frankford." Also there: Noel Coward. The Paar show is on YouTube. I saw it the night of initial broadcast. Garland also said, "Marlene is not one of our great singers."

This is thrilling. I am surprised that Ute Lemper didn't attempt a version (or perhaps she did and I just never heard it). I have a feeling it would have been very good. She enjoyed a certain association with Dietrich. I like this version of a similar song.

This is thrilling. I am surprised that Ute Lemper didn't attempt a version (or perhaps she did and I just never heard it). I have a feeling it would have been very good. She enjoyed a certain association with Dietrich. I like this version of a similar song.

I believe I saw Ute Kemper sing in Berlin in May 2000. I usually have a better memory.

It had to Ute because nobody else is so associated with Dietrich. She sang in the theater where the Berlin Philharmonic usually plays. She other songs as well. Do glad to see her in Berlin!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Paging @Gar1eth, who hasn't been around since mid-November (then again I've been gone since February or so): this year's Maccabeats Hanukkah song is a cover/parody of BTS' Dynamite.

Cover:

Original:

Live performance of original for NPR's Tiny Desk Concert

Yes, this is the same group I've been annoying you about for years and no, not planning on stopping anytime soon, not even if they win the Grammy for best duo or group pop performance for Dynamite. (Yes, they were nominated and I fully expect them to be invited to perform it at the Grammys.)

• 4 weeks later...