Excellent Covers

LoveNDino

The Mother Abbess in this Ed Sullivan snippet (who sings Climb Every Mountain) is the wonderful Patricia Neway, who won the Tony in 1960 for best supporting actress in a musical that year!

Yes, I should have make it clear that Ed Sullivan had the original cast of the Broadway "The Sound of Music." Sullivan did mention Mary Martin, the original Maria.

Edited by WilliamM

There may well be other covers of Lady Gaga's "Born This Way," but Jo Kwon's is especially fierce. It was his response to people who criticized his earlier cover of Beyonce's "Crazy in Love" by (pejoratively) calling him a drag queen.

Jo Kwon performing "Born This Way"

Jo Kwon performing "Crazy in Love"

Lady Gaga performing "Born This Way"

Mary Martin last performance in "The Sound of Music." She is being recorded on stage.

Richard Rodgers, Oscar Hammerstein, Leland Hayward and the Hallidays

(Mary Martin and Richard Halliday) were the original investors in the TSOM.

Yet, the initial profits from the film soundtrack were divided between Rodgers and TheHammerstein estate. It's unclear if Rodgers knew, probably not. But, Halliday and Hayward won in arbitration. Martin remained friends with Rodgers, but never worked with him again.

Edited by WilliamM

More Joni Mitchell. Hers was the first recording of this song that I heard - then I went on to discover the brilliance of its originators. Also fun that Mitchell gets a few lyrics totally wrong, having misheard them without realizing ("They all laughed at angry young men" instead of the original - a homage to the Gershwins - "They all laughed at A. Graham Bell." Also - "the idiomatic logic" instead of "the reasoning and the logic" - and "oh, they used to laugh at me" instead of "soldiers let them laugh at me.")

Vocalese - the jazz term for taking an instrumental solo (often an improvised one) and fitting a lyric to it.

The original vocal, as written and sung by Annie Ross:

The more classic Annie Ross version, when she was a part of the amazing Lambert Hendricks and Ross vocal trio.

And, of course, the original original - the sax instrumental by Wardell Gray.

I hope this is okay, although it brakes the rules. Forgot about it after I visited Sarajevo a few years ago. People in Bosnia want everyone to know what happened. Sarajevo and the City of Mostar have too many recent graves.

It doesn't break the rules as there is a cover by George Michael, this the most listened-to song in my library: