Excellent Covers

LoveNDino

And of course, he also wrote "I Get A Kick Out Of You" for her, for the same show.

The story goes that Porter was getting pissed off with latecomers, so in Anything Goes he went against the usual trend of starting the show with a chorus number, and opened with a short scene that culminated in "I Get A Kick." So that, if you wanted to hear Merman sing one of the show's biggest hits, you HAD to get to the show on time. Merman eventually demanded that the song get heard later in the show, so they snuck in a reprise toward the end of Act II.

Very interesting to compare Merman's original 1934 recording of the song with the parallel recording of the star of the 1935 London cast, Jeanne Aubert. Quite different, lol.

Also, here's Aubert with her co-star, Jack Whiting, singing "You're The Top."

And of course, he also wrote "I Get A Kick Out Of You" for her, for the same show.

The story goes that Porter was getting pissed off with latecomers, so in Anything Goes he went against the usual trend of starting the show with a chorus number, and opened with a short scene that culminated in "I Get A Kick." So that, if you wanted to hear Merman sing one of the show's biggest hits, you HAD to get to the show on time. Merman eventually demanded that the song get heard later in the show, so they snuck in a reprise toward the end of Act II.

Very interesting to compare Merman's original 1934 recording of the song with the parallel recording of the star of the 1935 London cast, Jeanne Aubert. Quite different, lol.

Also, here's Aubert with her co-star, Jack Whiting, singing "You're The Top."

I had never even heard of Jeanne Aubert, though looking her up, she had quite the life, child actress and later silent films in her native France. Married to a wealthy American who survived the crash of the Hindenberg, well-respected London musical star in the original London cast of Anything Goes as these selections document and much later (1960's & 70's) a star of series TV in France, finally passing at age 88. Not sure I like her turning I Get a Kick into an operetta number though. LOL

Here's the duet with Sutton Foster and (as Rosie says, 'cutie-pie') Colin Donnell from the excellent Broadway revival I saw in 2011 of the show:

TruHart1 :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOBt5JKYtTk

I enjoy Rufus singing Judy Garland, or any other songs.

But, I saw/heard Garland sing "Come Rain or Come Shine" in Boston a few months after the Carnegie Hall concert in 1961.

Harold Arlen was not in the audience in Boston, but the song was my most memorable few minute of Judy Garland in person.

Edited by WilliamM

Take Me or Leave Me, from Rent, 7/31/17

Aaron Tveit and Gavin Creel (MCC Miscast Benefit)

Idina Menzel and Fredi Walker

Which made me think of

Sixteen Going on Seventeen from The Sound of Music

With Andrew Keenan-Bolger as Rolf and Jay Armstrong Johnson as Liesl (from Broadway Backwards):

Original version with Daniel Truhitte (Rolf) and Charmian Carr (Liesl) (from the 1965 film):

...and an updated version just for giggles (from Miscast):

TruHart1 :cool:

1959 Broadway Original Cast: Sixteen Going on Seventeen

Oscar Hamerstein died about ten months after the musical opened.

And...Brian Davies (Rolf) went on to star in the original A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum. Lauri Peters (Liesl) went on to marry Jon Voight. ;)

Rodgers went on to try to write more shows, none of them successful. But even so, what an amazing career. (Same for Hammerstein, of course.)

Rodgers went on to try to write more shows, none of them successful. But even so, what an amazing career. (Same for Hammerstein, of course.)

I saw "The Sound of Music" just before Oscar Hammerstein died...only my third musical on Broadway. There was a large crowd outside the Lunt-Fontanne Theater after the show.

Perhaps people knew Hammerstein had cancer, and was near death. The day before I saw "Gypsy" from a front row seat. At one point, Merman started crying.

I saw "The Sound of Music" just before Oscar Hammerstein died...only my third musical on Broadway. There was a large crowd outside the Lunt-Fontanne Theater after the show.

Perhaps people knew Hammerstein had cancer, and was near death. The day before I saw "Gypsy" from a front row seat. At one point, Merman started crying.

Rodgers, by the way, detested "covers" of his own music - he didn't care at all for people re-arranging what he wrote. He even got into fights with his orchestrators when their work seemed to overshadow his. Not generally a nice man, from what I understand. A shame, considering his undeniably classic tunes, and his 60 years of writing.