Your Music

José Soplanucas
This topic is 1810 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Grace Slick, Jefferson Airplane/Starship, although as a group The Doors would be a close competitor. They're from my teens.

However, I listen almost exclusively to K-pop these days. The most recent Western anything I've been excited about is Janelle Monae's album Dirty Computer, but I haven't made the time to listen to all of it yet.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not as sophisticated as you guys and all your obscure music and groups!......I seem to be ok with fairly mainstream stuff and prefer a decent and catchy melody, ranging from classical to 60s, 80s, some soundtracks, country/western......maybe I'm getting to be a bit of a curmudgeon, but rap/hip-hop is barely music and the highly modified voices and enhanced electronics today are hardly talent.....and these celebrity DJs?.....WTF?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unMxHSpvzoE

Edited by azdr0710

not as sophisticated as you guys and all your obscure music and groups!......I seem to be ok with fairly mainstream stuff and prefer a decent and catchy melody, ranging from classical to 60s, 80s, some soundtracks, country/western......maybe I'm getting to be a bit of a curmudgeon, but rap/hip-hop is barely music and the highly modified voices and enhanced electronics today are hardly talent.....and these celebrity DJs?.....WTF?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unMxHSpvzoE

I love Duran Duran!

I have a always been partial to alternative regardless of what it means for that decade. Growing up I listened to WLIR (Long Island-based station) in junior high and high school. When I went to college I found WFNX and that's what I would listen to. Today I listen to Sirius XMU and First Wave, so I guess I have never gotten tired of the alternative genre... Sadly, I don't think we have any stations like WFNX or WLIR on regular radio today; at least none that I can find in the NYC tri-state area :(

Edited by Reisr30

I consider Grace Slick's descent from White Rabbit to We Built This City to be an argument for the forced retirement of rock stars. :p

Interesting because I liked Jefferson Starship in person, but also Chicago, Janice Joplin, Patti Smith, Judy Garland (1961), Peggy Lee, Judy Collins as well as many all-male bands like U2, The Stones, Talking Heads

This came on as we left Dal Contadina...

"Gloria"

Gloria, you're always on the run now.

Running after somebody, you gotta get him somehow.

I think you've got to slow down, before you start to blow it.

I think you're headed for a breakdown, so be careful not to show it

You really don't remember, was it something that he said?

All the voices in your head calling, Gloria?

Gloria, don't you think you're fallin'?

If everybody wants you, why isn't anybody callin'?

You don't have to answer

Leave them hangin' on the line, oh-oh-oh, calling Gloria

Gloria (Gloria), I think they got your number (Gloria)

I think they got the alias (Gloria) that you've been living under (Gloria)

But you really don't remember, was it something that they said?

A-ha-ha, a-ha-ha, Gloria, how's it gonna go down?

Will you meet him on the main line, or will you catch him on the rebound?

Will you marry for the money, take a lover in the afternoon?

Feel your innocence slipping away, don't believe it's comin' back soon

And you really don't remember, was it something that he said?

Gloria, don't you think you're fallin'?

If everybody wants you, why isn't anybody callin'?

You don't have to answer

Leave them hangin' on the line, oh-oh-oh, calling Gloria

Gloria (Gloria), I think they got your number (Gloria)

I think they got the alias (Gloria) that you've been living under (Gloria)

But you really don't remember, was it something that they said?

Are the voices in your head calling, Gloria?

(Gloria, Gloria, Gloria, Gloria, Gloria)

(Gloria, Gloria, Gloria, Gloria, Gloria) ...

I got to college, found WGBH and Morning Pro Musica, and my Classical Career started.

Ah the many wonderful hours I spent with Robert J. Lurtsema! Thanks @gallahadesquire for reminding me.

I began my musical life as a boy soprano in a boys choir. Except for a brief flirtation with folk music and hootenannies I’ve never ventured far from classical music (preferably before 1795) and opera. But then there’s the Eagles Hotel California because there was a bodybuilder I was infatuated with who always used to strip to it at the Gaiety in NYC. And the group Enigma to which my step class exercised daily. Today at the gym my headset always plays baroque chamber music because the relatively steady tempo matches the rhythm of my breathing making it easier to control the weights I’m lifting.

Edited by g56whiz