Service with a Smile

actor61
This topic is 2653 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My sister is married to a Frenchman and they live in a suburb of Paris. I live in Chicago. Their daughter was here last October visiting me and bought her father a Ralph Lauren shirt at the downtown Macy's. Unfortunately, it was too small, so she mailed it back to me with the tags and receipt to exchange it for a larger size. I'm going to visit them next week, so the idea was that I'd exchange the shirt and bring it with me.

The package was too big to put in the mailbox and even though I was home all day on Tuesday when it arrived, the postal service lady probably assumed I wasn't and didn't bother to ring the bell. She just put a note in my mailbox and circled where and when I could pick up the package. According to what she marked, I should pick it up at 1 in the morning on February 12. I finally figured out that it was 1 package to be picked up after 12 on February 1. So, I walked to the post office after lunch yesterday. The line gathered was nearly out the door and there were only 2 people at the counter, one of whom was in a very lengthy discussion with a customer about which stamps were prettier. The other, a woman, finished serving a customer and then put up her finger and announced to the rest of us, "I'm goin' on my break." In the meantime, the remaining clerk continued his discussion about the aesthetics of various stamps until a man near the front of the line told him that we were waiting and maybe he could speed it up. This was met with an icy glare but at least he stopped his chat and called for the next customer in line.

20 minutes later, when it came my turn, I handed the clerk the slip for my package and he said, "I need some I.D." I opened my wallet and showed him my driver's license and he sternly told me rather loudly, "YOU NEED TO TAKE IT OUT". So, I did, he took it from me, said, "I'll be right back," and left the counter.

35 minutes later, he poked his head around the corner and said, "I'll be right back. I still can't find the package." I'm not exaggerating - 35 minutes! I thought the French Revolution was going to break out behind me; the people in line were noisily furious. The lady who had been on break had returned but when she did, she spent about 5 minutes rearranging her chair and straightening out a drawer and when she was finally ready, she heaved this huge sigh and said, "Next" as though her day was already so painful that she wasn't sure she'd survive.

My guy finally returned with the package and explained to me that the labels were in French and he didn't understand who had sent it and who it was going to and that's why it took so long. I said very calmly and politely, "You had my driver's license and the name and address on my license match the name and address on the front of the package, so it should have been pretty clear." To which he said, "Yeah, but it's in French." I wanted to say, "How is Chicago, Illinois 60660, U.S.A. a French phrase that you can't understand?" but I knew better. I just smiled, he gave me the package and I got the hell out of there.

After that, I took the L to Macy's. There was nobody in the Ralph Lauren department, so I wandered over to the Tommy Hilfiger department nearby and when I asked for assistance, was curtly told by the over perfumed salesperson that Tommy Hilfiger was different from Ralph Lauren. I said, "I know that but I can't find anyone over there," to which the salesperson wearily answered, "I work for Hilfiger, not Lauren," and walked away. So, I went back over to the Ralph Lauren section and looked through shirts without success until a very young woman showed up. I explained that I wanted to exchange the shirt for a larger size and she said, "Well, have a look". I said I had been doing so but could only find small sizes, and she replied, "We've discontinued the larger sizes." As calmly as I could, I said, "Why didn't you tell me that when I first told you I wanted a LARGER size?" She sighed and looked away, clearly indicating that as far as she was concerned, the conversation was over. Finally, somebody else showed up, inquired in that bored department store tone: "May I help you?" and I explained my problem. He looked on the computer while the young girl with attitude stood next to him and picked at her fingernails and said, "Small has been discontinued in that color but we have large in similar styles." He showed me what they had. I chose a shirt, exchanged it, said thank you and left.

Is it my fault? Is there a protocol/attitude/demeanor required for shopping in the Ralph Lauren Department of Macy's that I don't know about? I don't normally buy designer stuff - I'm a Target, H&M, Marshall's kind of guy - so perhaps I should have studied beforehand. Obviously, the lingo and mannerisms were not native to me and the population indigenous to Ralph Lauren land were inadvertently offended. Should I return tomorrow with a gift to assuage their fury? Should I sacrifice a virgin to a volcano?

I stopped to get a haircut before going home and the young man cutting my hair told me that his brother had just been deployed overseas. He said that his brother would be living in Germany and commuting to Iraq every day. I explained that there was an American base in Germany from which the soldiers were then sent to their various postings but that commuting back and forth daily from there to Iraq wasn't possible. He said I was wrong and then asked if I wanted product on my hair.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK ... I'll get yelled at - it all happened because the package was addressed in French and you all know the French ATTITUDE towards Americans!

OK - I'm kidding. when I have been in France (Paris and countryside) I make the effort to revive my high school French and am met with smiles and no attitude at all. Well perhaps a few laughs because I sounded like an insane person, but smiles and laughs were appropriate.

I'm not sure if that would hold true today!

I could get into a whole host of issues based on my post office, Macy's and haircut experiences yesterday, including racial, political, Trump, Republicans vs. Democrats, deplorables, our educational system, no manners, the digital age, on and on and on, but that would be redundant. I'll be 65 years old in about 6 weeks and I truly think that a lot of the crap I encounter is generational. Sitting on the train yesterday, I was the only one in the car not looking at a cell phone. I work in the theatre with a lot of young people, and the idea of actually calling someone and having a real conversation is abhorrent to them. Why talk when you can text? And that's how you lose manners, conversational skills, and the basic ability to communicate on an eye-to-eye level. I'm an old fuddy duddy, a curmudgeon and very grumpy - I freely admit to all of that. I've grown to loathe young people on sight, which is really unfair and mean of me but I'm appalled at their lack of courtesy, intelligence and absent language skills. We've raised a new generation of numb skulls who use the word "like" to express themselves, and emogees to show the simplest emotions, who don't know that you can't commute daily from Weisbaden to Fallujah, and think the Kardashians are the gold standard. It's terrifying and disgusting. Those are the people I had to deal with all afternoon yesterday. And now I'm going to get 100 replies about what a fascist I am, or some such, but so be it. In the words of my youthful colleagues, "Whatever. I'm, like, so over it." All I wanted to do yesterday was pick up a package and exchange a shirt, and it turned into a day of rudeness and aloofness and endless stupidity in spite of my valiant attempts to be pleasant, tolerant, engaged and patient. Fuck 'em. Maybe I should be glad they're glued to their cell phone screens instead of talking to me!

At least the sun was out - we haven't seen any sunshine here for weeks and weeks.

I am impressed that you had the fortitude to suffer through those encounters and not have a breakdown. I hope you had a large Gin & Tonic when you got home.

You're absolutely right to make fun of me! With all that's going on in the world, the stuff that I'm bitching about is truly insignificant, so thank you for bringing me out of my stupid cloud and making me chuckle. And yes, I did have a G&T, read the paper, fixed a salad and tried to have a cranky free evening!

actor61,

You must have gone to the Post Office on Broadway near Lawrence. When you mentioned you were from Chicago, then described the Post Office, I thought, hmmm, sounds like mine on Broadway. Then I saw your zip!

The Post Office is one of the least customer friendly places and they wonder why people don't mail as much. And Macy's customer service leaves a lot to be desired, especially after Field's. Though to be fair, I work in a public service environment and people have very poor to no social skills these days, so perhaps salesclerks are so burned out being yelled at and treated like dirt. Still no excuse, but perhaps we on the other side of the transaction (I am NOT implying any sort of behavior on your part) but in general, need to start being more civil overall especially to people in service positions.

Actually, as a fellow Chicagoan, I can attest that pretty much all of our post offices are terrible-Lincoln Park ones sound just like what you've described.

I worked at that Macy's for several years. It is definitely a shell of what it was when I was there. They cut so many jobs, and now only pay minimum wage-you get what you pay for, that's for sure.

There are people in all sorts of professions who don't have the temperament to do their jobs well. ;)

One of my local "favorites" was a restaurant that only seemed to hire youngish people who had an attitude about everything? Ask for a glass of water? Eye roll. Request your check? Server goes to the bar and has a long conversation with the bartender instead of preparing your check immediately. I liked the food and it was reasonably priced, but I stopped going to the place because I couldn't tolerate being served by people who had so much contempt for their customers. Fortunately the business owner or manager must have figured things out because a friend invited me to go there and the wait staff was no longer surly twenty-somethings but slightly older Latinos who are reasonably friendly and efficient.

I have grown to loathe young people on sight, which is really unfair and mean of me but I'm appalled at their lack of courtesy, intelligence and absent language skills. We've raised a new generation of numb skulls who use the word "like" to express themselves, and emogees to show the simplest emotions,

I was on your side until the above quote.

Only some young people are as you mention, not all. About ten years ago, I decided to live with it and have not had a problem since.

Pay attention to all the good things people have to offer, and you will be more tolerant (and happy).

I was on your side until the above quote.

Only some young people are as you mention, not all. About ten years ago, I decided to live with it and have not had a problem since.

Pay attention to all the good things people have to offer, and you will be more tolerant (and happy).

+1

I hire a lot of young people for my businesses. It's a different group with a different view on life! But I've been working in my industry for 40+ years and that pool of employees has morphed themselves more than once! There's really good "kids" out there

Completely true.

I am sorry for @actor61, those complains are so minor.

Perhaps he should visit the World War 2, Korea and Vietnam war memorials in Washington and think about the horror that so many families endured when losing a lived one.

Oh please - you're getting way too serious about all of this. I had an irritating day, I'm a bit fed up with young people because I spend so much time with them (teaching), but my perspective is fine, thank you very much. Most kids are good. They talk too much, use their cell phones too much and don't always get all the facts to form a thorough opinion but they're basically fine people. At my age, though, I just want to take them in smaller doses because my patience is thinning as quickly as my hair.

I don't need to visit war memorials to be reminded that teenagers have died in senseless wars. I'm as cognizant and appreciative of their sacrifices as anyone on the planet. I lost a 19 year old niece to that nonsense.

I'm really going to be much more cautious about what I write on here. In fact, I think I'll stay out of any discussion other than show business - which is where I work. From now on, I'll just stick to the Comedy & Tragedy forum where people won't accuse me of gross insensitivity and intolerance if I didn't like Glenn Close in Sunset Boulevard.

I had an irritating day, I'm a bit fed up with young people because I spend so much time with them (teaching), but my perspective is fine, thank you very much

My sixth grade teacher was an unusually honest person. She talked to the class bluntly about what other teachers say at conventions. She would have included your comments above as what not to say in public.

Ten years ago I asked a college professor about students using the word like in class. He just smiled and said nothing.

It's been over 50 years since the 6th grade, but I'll always remember my teacher's wise comments.

Sunset Boulevard. [/i]

One of the reasons that I don't like texting and emailing is that the words come out more harshly than they are meant. Spoken language gives room for nuance and emotion. I, for one, hope you will keep on expressing your thoughts and feelings about the everyday annoyances, and joys. Unfortunately, there are people that prefer to turn everything into a negative. Let them roll off your back and please keep on writing. I enjoy your epistles. Also...."Gross insensitivity and intolerance for not liking Glenn Close in "Sunset Boulevard"? I applaud your taste!

Oh please - you're getting way too serious about all of this

I only added my comment because you have an unusual screen name. So I know this is not the only you have posted your complaints about every day life.

Nobody has the knowledge about theater to equal your contributions to the Comedy and Tragedy forum. If anything, I wish you post there far more often.

On a personal note, until recently, I have spent a lot of time around students. I understand how you feel, but again you have expressed the some complaints here before and more than once.

I only added my comment because you have an unusual screen name. So I know this is not the only you have posted your complaints about every day life.

Nobody has the knowledge about theater to equal your contributions to the Comedy and Tragedy forum. If anything, I wish you post there far more often.

On a personal note, until recently, I have spent a lot of time around students. I understand how you feel, but again you have expressed the some complaints here before and more than once.

Gosh, I'm sorry for being repetitive and wasting your time. William, lighten up, please.

Gosh, I'm sorry for being repetitive and wasting your time. William, lighten up, please.

I tried very hard to meet you half way, which is something I try to do on this site often. This is one of the very few times I have not receive at least a semi-positive response.

Geez, people, could we have a reality check here? Actor61, everything you said rings true to me. The comment above about the world situation is totally off the mark and inappropriate. Of course the world is a mess - we all know that. But that is no excuse for letting slide so many little things that go to the heart of day to day quality of life. It seems that some people feel that issues that go to our quality of life closer to home have no importance or validity - we should just suck it up and wait for something really important that matters on the worldwide scene because our own little lives don't matter? So I guess the postoffice workers who always are in the back having what sounds like a drunken orgy out of sight of the burgeoning lines in the lobby should just be given a wink and nod about being utterly incompetent at doing their job and we should just apologize to them for interrupting their day. I don't live in Chicago, but I've learned to avoid going to my local post office unless I want to receive religious tracts or feel excluded by the in crowd who always seem to be having a great time in the back where they don't need to wait on the customers.

Please Actor, don't restrict yourself to the arts thread. I enjoy your observations - don't always agree with them, but that's life.

Archived