Donna...Diana...Gloria...Vicki Sue..Thelma..Grace

Godiva
This topic is 2363 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have been planning my b-day party for the last few months. It will be early this year in a club I rented. Every detail is covered accept for the one thing that I hold dear to my heart...MUSIC...

I want nothing but Disco played.........Old Time Disco.......

I have an old D.J friend of mine who is digging through his vinyl collection :D to see if he can find the old hits. It will be a 70's theme. I don't want Pop Disco..I want the classics..He asked me my favorites and it was hard..but I narrowed it down to a few must haves..

1) The MacArthur Park Suite (17min) My absolute fave..(Donna Summer)

2) Souvenir(sp)..(Voyage)

3) Casanova Brown, How High The Moon, Do It Yourself (Gloria Gaynor)

4) Love In C Minor, Supernature (Cerrone)

5) The Boss (Miss Ross) 7min dance version..one of her many comeback hits that planted her firmly back on the charts. I remember when the extended dance version was played in the clubs and hearing Miss Ross whoop and shout like a church lady on the dance floor made us all crazy..

6) Do Or Die (Grace Jones) After Dark (Patty Brooks)

7) (Vicky Sue Robinson)..no not Turn The Beat...but her other major hits like Hold Tight, Daylight..etc

8) You Make Me Feel..Mighty Real...(Sylvester W/ Two Tons Of Fun)

AHHHHHH the memories

Wait..what song is this ..( I met him at a party, he said the sweetest things than he hit on me..wrapped up in his arms I was blinded by his charms and I couldn't see....) Who can remember the rest!!

Of course there is the (Holy Trinity) aaaaahhhhhhhh of Disco songs played everytime, everywhere.....

I Will Survive, Don't Leave Me This Way, Disco Inferno..

I want the Classics. I am sure that I am in the minority here but for those few of you who remember being in the middle of the dance floor looking up at that ball and hearing Karen Young..sing "when I'm with the crowd..and the musics loud and I'm feeling proud..I need a "Hot Shot"..ooooh now baby we who mama baby baby sweet sweet baby yeah yeah my fire is burning its making me hot... ...oops I'm sorry..

Please list any classics and the artist if you can remember ;-)

PS..I just recently aquired some old 78 (slate) records along with a barely workable old stereo player. As I scanned the collection I saw Nat King Coles Route 66, Bill Haley..Shake Rattle and Roll, Ink Spots, Benny Goodman..all 78s over 60. When I play them on this old system they sound like The Little Rascals use to sound with Miss Crabtree. Gee I better stop now I am dating myself.. Is there a market for these 78s?

Thanxs in advance

G

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of my favorites:

"It's Raining Men" by the Weather Girls

"My Baby Takes the Morning Train" by Shena Easton(sp?)

"Last Dance" by Donna Summer

There's always a market for your old 78 rpm records on eBay. But, don't expect to make a lot of money. Now, I've got 2 footlockers of old 78's (WW I vintage) that I got from my Grandfather. Those might be worth something. But I doubt the current generation would even recognize most of the artists. ;(

One that comes to mind (because everytime it was played at the Limelight Atlanta and I was dancing with some hottie on the bass speakers we'd get carried away with the music, start getting naked and then get thrown out of tea dance) was Kelly Marie's "Feels Like I'm In Love."

Oh! This is fun!!!

How about "More, More, More" (How do ya Like it) By the Andrea True Connection?

or...

Anything by Pamplemousse!

or...

"Don't buy the Orange Juice" off the famed "Crisco Disco" album, anonymous, but rumoured to have been recorded by Rod McKuen.

or...

"Where is my Man", Ms. Kitt's purrrfect

dance hit!

or...

My all time favorite disco apocolypse, the song where the mirrored-ball always comes crashing down from the ceiling, by the next inductees to the RnR Hall of Fame (or else!) Blondie... No, not Heart of Glass...

Atomic!

Your hair is beautiful, tonight...

La Trix

And by the way, the preview of the forum only showed "Donna...Diana" in the subject. It got my attention because...

Reznicek's "Donna Diana" overture has been a favorite for years. Old timers will remember it as the theme of "Sgt. Preston of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police" much the way some people only know "William Tell" as the Lone Ranger overture.

It's a kickin' overture, and it's a bitch to play! (for the woodwinds, at least)

One more for you Ms. Godiva. You must include Freak AKA Le' Freak by the band Chic. It was written at the back door of Studio 54. The band was set to perform and they couldn't get into the club. I believe it was Nile Rogers who came up with the memorable tune and tounge in cheek lyrics.

RT :)

Thanxs..Thanxs..Thanxs

Deej..Last Dance is always the last song I play at all my parties..

Yr..awesome..I forgot about Kelly Marie..and I actually have that one.

Novice..Thanxs for "FunkyTown"

I'm gonna add the Village People.."San Fransisco"

Keep them comming guys..This is an all night party;-)

I could sit here all day typing my suggestions because (a) I love music and have a lot of it and (b) I specifically love old disco and have a lot of it. So I'll just add a few titles now:

Jackie Moore's "This Time Baby"

Bonnie Pointer's "Heaven Must Have Sent You"

Evelyn "Champagne" King's "Shame" (though you could play some of her later hits, too, if you're willing to go into the '80s)

Odyssey - "Native New Yorker"

Cheryl Lynn - "Star Love"

Machine - "There But For The Grace Of God Go I"

Linda Clifford - "If My Friends Could See Me Now"

Geraldine Hunt - "Can't Fake The Feeling" (early '80s)

okay...I'll stop now.

>...hearing Miss Ross whoop and shout like a church lady....

Never ever mention Church Ladies here...

There was a guy here once who got all bunged up over church lady references....

WAIT....you were here for that big mess!

LOL...Welcome back Godiva!

[ul][li]Cher - Take Me Home

[li]The Supremes - I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking

[li]Ashford and Simpson - Found a Cure

[li]Gap Band - You Dropped a Bomb on Me or Burn Rubber

[li]The Jacksons - Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)

[li]Skyy - Call Me

[li]Rose Royce - Car Wash

[li]Foxy - Hot Number

[li]Secret Weapon - Must Be The Music[/ul]

and of course, how could I leave out:

Anything from The Ethel Merman Disco Album! :7

(Gee, I hope I get invited...I'm a great dancer, you know...especially if there's a podium to jump up on). :p

Wow, sounds like a fun party!!! Here's a few of my favorites that always got my ass onto the dance floor at the Salty Dog in New London CT during my youth:

Relight my Fire...Dan Hartman

Love Sensation...Loleatta Holloway

Love Pains...Yvonne Elliman

If You Could Read My Mind...Viola Wills

Mandalay...La Flavour

Cruising The Streets...BoysTown Gang

Menergy...Patrick Cauley

Let Me Take You Dancing...Bryan Adams (am I the only disco queen in here who remembers that Bryan Adams started out as a disco singer)

Hope you have a GREAT birthday!!

TinyBubbles..

P.S. Fin Fang Foom, what disco songs were you listening to while you were blowing guys in the Prayer Tower at college?

I do agree with all of the choices above (especially the Ethel Merman Disco album-good pick Rick) and have a few more to add on

France Joli-Come to Me

Carol Douglas-Doctor's Orders

Ashford and Simpson-It Seems to Hang On

A Taste of Honey-Boogie Oogie Oogie

Tavares-It only Takes a Minute

Sister Sledge-He's the Greatest Dancer

Odyssey-Native New Yorker

Brothers Johnson-Stomp

(Sorry if any of these choices have been listed before)

Found a Cure, Vertigo/Instant Replay, Weekend, We Are Family, Lost in Music, Got the Feeling, La Vie en Rose, I Need A Man, Do Ya Wanna Funk, Hit and Run, Forbidden Love/Fire In Your Heart, Street Player, Smalltown Boy, Lady Marmalade, What Can I Do For You, Chain Reaction, Love Insurance, Harmony/I Got It, Everlasting Love, Runaway Love, Let's Stay Together, Knock On Wood, In the Name of Love, Can You Handle It, Guilty, Angel Eyes, Can You Feel It, Feels Like I'm In Love, Seconds, Let No Man Put Asunder, How Much-How Much I Love You, Romeo and Juliet, Love and Desire, Dancing Queen, Ya Mo Be There, Don't Turn Around, and Tittle-Tattle.

Feels good tho just think about these songs.

Thanxs guys..can you imagine trying to remember all these gems.. While at work today.. I realized that I had all Divas and no male screamers.

I thought of Dan Hartman and when signed on tonight some of you posted his name..;)

Guyinsf..How could I have forgotten "This Time Baby"..that song put me on table tops..and Linda Clifford ouch..Run Away Love..

Rick..thanxs for Le Cher..I am a huge fan of Donna Summer and I remember they made a big deal when Cher signed with Casablaca (Summers label) and said that her song "Take Me Home" would make her discos new Queen.. x( well all know that never happened but I have the extended version somewhere. The Supremes have a dance medley of their Motown hits that I love..

Tiny..Loleatta Holloway is da bomb..she can out scream anyone..Thanxs for the memories.

mmk..I completely forgot about Dr Orders..

Hotdad..thanxs for your hit list..although I remember some of the artist of the songs I don't remember all of them.

My Dj asked me to see if anyone here knows who sings "The Devils Gun"

"Caught Up In One Night Love Affair" He can't believe how many tunes we have come up with and they are all classics..

Keep them comming guys...

G

>My Dj asked me to see if anyone here knows who sings "The

>Devils Gun"

>"Caught Up In One Night Love Affair" He can't believe how many

>tunes we have come up with and they are all classics..

"Devil's Gun" was recorded by C. J. & Co.

and "Caught Up In A One Night Love Affair" was done by Inner Life

(Godiva, I didn't know the answers but I am a Master Googler.) ;-)

I like Last Dance, too, of course. That's probably genetic. :-)

But I prefer it earlier in the night because it used to be such a great song to meet guys to at the bars. For the actual last dance, I've always been partial to "Dancing the Night Away".

If you need disco music, someplace, somewhere I have a fair number of disco singles in album format. (I'm almost embarassed to admit that.) I suppose I could probably transfer them to digital and send them to you , but not if you need the music next week.

Happy Birthday, by the way, whenever it is.

And, echoing the others, welcome back... again. :-)

BG

>BTW, I just looked at One Finger's avatar...thats one hot mothafucka !!

Thanks for noticing. Took me a long time to find an appropriate picture that fits my handle. Now, I can only wish that picture was me (or someone very close to me). But, alas, I'm an old, fat, balding queen. :+

For those that would like a larger view:

http://rasik.de/data/fotos/159.jpg