Old Hollywood

Moondance

On 11/11/2021 at 9:26 PM, Danny-Darko said:

Johnnie Ray's 1951 mugshot after being arrested outside Detroit's Brass Rail club for "sexual vagrancy". Ray, known for the number one hit "Cry", was gay.

The single "Cry" came out five months after his arrest and started a six-year string of top ten hits that saw Ray make music history by being the missing link between crooners such as Frank Sinatra and Frankie Laine and early rockers such as Elvis Presley and Little Richard thanks to his unusually high (for the times) singing voice and erratic, wild antics onstage, which included climbing atop curtains and ripping them off, kick his piano stand and do high flying moves, ripping his hair and falling on the floor while screaming, a habit later picked up by singer James Brown.

Despite his only marriage to Marilyn Morrison and a platonic affair with gossip columnist Dorothy Kilgallen, most of Ray's personal romances and sexual flings were with other men.

Born in Dallas, Oregon on January 10, 1927, he died on February 24, 1990 from complications of liver cancer in Los Angeles. He was 63.

blob.jpg

I feel a song coming on...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Actor Charles Farrell (1901 - 1990) was born in MA, became a major star during the silent screen era (1920s, 1930s). In the 1940s, he was well known for his on-screen romances with actress Janet Gaynor in over a dozen films. Farrell turned to television in the 1950s, with shows such as 'My Little Margie' and his own show 'The Charles Farrell Show'. He left his acting career by the early 1960s, and he turned to local politics and civil affairs in Palm Springs, CA where he served as Mayor for a short time. He died in Palm Springs at the age of 88 in 1990.

272188135_4567972236635268_4095057031391823695_n.jpg

IN 1957, MIKE HENRY WAS CO-CAPTAIN OF THE USC TROJANS FOOTBALL TEAM. HE LATER PLAYED PROFESSIONALLY FOR THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS AND THE LOS ANGELES RAMS. IN THE ACTING CAREER THAT FOLLOWED, HE WAS TARZAN IN THREE FILMS MADE IN THE 1960s, BUT BOWED OUT OF THE FRANCHISE AFTER BEING BITTEN BY A CHIMP. HE LATE PLAYED JUNIOR JUSTICE IN THE SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT MOVIES, AND WAS ONE OF TWO ACTORS TO PLAY  LT. COL. DONALD PENOBSCOTT--WHO WAS BRIEFLY MARRIED TO HOT LIPS HOULIHAN--ON THE TV SERIES M*A*S*H. BORN IN 1936, HE DIED LAST YEAR AT 84.

cfeabffa1e3606bf072cffe5ea13014208acebb1

1ab7ed63214b02bd6ad14a2a582e5161.jpg

acXp8QlOkP2UfspSEypOuGucIoln9hQCM=&risl=

Edited by Whitman

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, poolboy48220 said:

I'm going to have to watch his naked wrestling scene in "Women in Love" again. I don't remember him being that hung.

I imagine being in an abandoned country house with the production crew watching and endless retakes results in a certain amount of shrinkage, plus it was filmed in the fall so certainly not a warm, relaxing environment.

• 1 month later...