Grooming Advice Needed - Growing a Beard

ArVaGuy
This topic is 2840 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Gentlemen,

I'm nearly two weeks into not shaving and growing out a beard. This is the longest time I've ever gone without the clean shaven look in my 54 years. In the past I've skipped the shave for a day or two but that's usually been due to either being sick or on some extended travel.

I've been on vacation and just decided to not shave my face for the whole time. It is a vacation right? However I do shave my neck and keep the beard at the jawline. (I don't like the feeling of whiskers on a shirt collar.)

Some friends have teased "when are you going to wash your face?" Others, mostly the women in my life, have loved it. I'm glad the ladies like it but they aren't the gender I'm trying to attract here. ;)

I also was curious on just where the grey hair was and that's another reason I decided to give the razor a rest. (But I'm not cancelling the Harry's subscription either.)

So guys, I open to any and all recommendations on growing this fuzziness out on my face. At this point what should I do to enhance the beard and take care of this new look?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions. :)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beard wax or oil and a beard comb. It'll help keep your beard soft and keep it more controlled so it's not coarse and sticking up all over your face.

I use Honest Amish beard wax. It's very lightly scented and super moisturizing. You can find it on Amazon for about 10 bucks and a little comb will run you 8-10.

I also enjoy reminding folks of how good my beard will feel between their legs.

There are more bearded men every day. It's a trend I love and I hope it lasts a while.

I used to really like to go around with a two -or three-day scruff, but now that most of my whiskers are white, it doesn't have the same effect. A while ago, I decided to try a close beard - just a week's growth. I kept it for about a month. My partner said it looked good, but gave me kind of a hard, mean look that he didn't like and he requested that I shave.

Beard wax or oil and a beard comb. It'll help keep your beard soft and keep it more controlled so it's not coarse and sticking up all over your face.

I use Honest Amish beard wax. It's very lightly scented and super moisturizing. You can find it on Amazon for about 10 bucks and a little comb will run you 8-10.

I also enjoy reminding folks of how good my beard will feel between their legs.

I just ordered this and Amazon offers same day delivery. Can't wait to to check this product out.

Oh, I fondly recall the feel of that sexy beard too. ;)

Thanks for the recommendation. :)

Beards -- especially short ones -- being unhygenic is a total crock. My beard gets washed at least twice a day just like my face.

Personally, I think the major factor on whether a beard improves your appearance or detracts is the the way you shape it and the amount of grey in it. A beard that is mostly grey will add ten years to your appearance. It's very easy to tone down the gray and make your beard look fuller if you're willing to do some extra maintenance.

I grew a full beard last winter for the first time in my life.

I loved it.

My thoughts.....

It's a lot more work that you realize. Once it grows out it's like having a hairdo....on your face.

All beards go through an "ugly faze"....just stick with it and let it grow...you will be rewarded.

Some people who "LOVED" me at work....suddenly stopped talking to me.

Some people who never said "BOO" to me at work...suddenly started talking to me all the time.

People will tell you what they think about your beard....whether you want them to or not. OWN it...and ignore the haters!

In general, men will be intimidated by your beard. Women will be drawn to it.

Wash your beard daily with shampoo like you wash all the other hair on your head.

Do not dye your beard...ever.....you will look like an idiot. You've earned the grey....show it!

Invest in good beard oil, beard wax, and a beard brush. Try lots until you find the ones that work for you.

If you want to get laid...Tom Ford's ridiculously expensive "Tobacco Vanille Beard Oil"...is pure SEX in a bottle!

Best of all....if you have a beautiful well groomed beard...young men will occasionally approach you

on the streets of New York and ask "can I touch your beard"...if they've got a beard...it's expected that

you feel theirs as well.....and they don't seem to think this is strange...or gay...at all.

Most of all...enjoy it...it's FUN!

Beards -- especially short ones -- being unhygenic is a total crock. My beard gets washed at least twice a day just like my face.

Personally, I think the major factor on whether a beard improves your appearance or detracts is the the way you shape it and the amount of grey in it. A beard that is mostly grey will add ten years to your appearance. It's very easy to tone down the gray and make your beard look fuller if you're willing to do some extra maintenance.

These days, guys groom and take care of their beards. But a beard that isn't well taken care of can be kind of smelly when you get up close to him.

I grew a beard, temporarily, in my 30's. I still have it in my 70's. It is white, but I think the added age is off set by my carefully trimmed sharp, firm-looking jaw/chin line which hides most of the effects of gravity. I look older when i shave it off. I do all of the maintenance recommended above and keep it daily trimmed and as short as possible. I love making love with a man with a beard........and one without!

@nycman this is very helpful advice. My office has a lot of guys with beards, mostly the younger millennials. The older guys with beards in my peer group are fewer but most have had theirs for years. I'm going to give this at least a month to gauge how I like it.

I'm expecting the typical ribbing and comments that come with such a grooming choice. The only thing that gives me pause is that I work for our CEO and I'm not sure what to expect from him. Most likely he'll be halfway oblivious like most on his level tend to behave. Our board chairman has a beard so I'm not concerned about his thoughts.

I've noticed the looks from younger guys who already have beards. If any of them want to feel my beard I will certainly be willing to oblige. :D

I grew a full beard last winter for the first time in my life.

I loved it.

My thoughts.....

It's a lot more work that you realize. Once it grows out it's like having a hairdo....on your face.

All beards go through an "ugly faze"....just stick with it and let it grow...you will be rewarded.

Some people who "LOVED" me at work....suddenly stopped talking to me.

Some people who never said "BOO" to me at work...suddenly started talking to me all the time.

People will tell you what they think about your beard....whether you want them to or not. OWN it...and ignore the haters!

In general, men will be intimidated by your beard. Women will be drawn to it.

Wash your beard daily with shampoo like you wash all the other hair on your head.

Do not dye your beard...ever.....you will look like an idiot. You've earned the grey....show it!

Invest in good beard oil, beard wax, and a beard brush. Try lots until you find the ones that work for you.

If you want to get laid...Tom Ford's ridiculously expensive "Tobacco Vanille Beard Oil"...is pure SEX in a bottle!

Best of all....if you have a beautiful well groomed beard...young men will occasionally approach you

on the streets of New York and ask "can I touch your beard"...if they've got a beard...it's expected that

you feel theirs as well.....and they don't seem to think this is strange...or gay...at all.

Most of all...enjoy it...it's FUN!

I've had a beard for 45 years. I have brown hair, just now starting to get some gray but in my 30's (oh so long ago) all of a sudden it started coming in in different colors - red (my mom had red hair), brown, gray, white. One day as I was getting a haircut my barber - stylist - suggested that it should be dyed, BUT BY A PROFESSIONAL. I let him mix up a color which exactly matched my dark brown at the time hair and an hour later it was PERFECT!!!! Unfortunately it grew so fast that at 2 weeks I had my different colored roots again and for about 6 months I had it dyed every 3-4 weeks. Tho it looked great, it took an hour each time. Another year or 2 and it was one color- gray, then a few years later, white in my 40's.

I grew my first beard last fall. It's pretty much all silver to go along with my hair. I let it grow out to a trimmer guide 6 level. I wash and condition it daily, use a balm, and comb and brush (boars hair bristles) it daily. My only problem is trying to shape it - still haven't mastered that.

I waited to grow one until I was sure that it would be all white. It pleases me as long as I keep it trimmed to about a 2-level. Longer than that and it begins to take on a rather caprine quality. http://www.boytoy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

http://www.shelburnenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/April-14-E-YWP-S.jpg

Archived