Florence Foster Jenkins?

g56whiz
This topic is 2817 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My High School Music Appreciation teacher used Ms. Russell's Ring analysis as our introduction to Wagner. Years later I attended my first complete Ring in San Francisco, and thought back to that recording, and how hysterically right she was about everything.

When I was a Freshman music student in college one of the required courses was a music literature class. It was actually pretty easy and fun, mostly listening and studying scores. Exams were a hoot. There was always a written portion followed by a "drop the needle" (it was the day of the LP recording, after all) portion. The instructor would randomly drop the needle in a recording of pieces we'd studied and we'd have to identify it.

The TA always got a roar from the room when she'd use Anna Russell or PDQ Bach or Victor Borge on one of the pieces.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a MUST SEE movie. I just saw the movie this afternoon and highly recommend seeing it. It's funny and poignant. Streep, as always, is great in the role of FFJ. Hugh Grant gives one of his best performances in years. Simon Helberg has several great scenes and holds his own with Streep in the most touching scene (for me) when FFJ visits his character's apartment. I'm sure there will be some award nominations for cast and crew

I'm planning to see this movie again and will buy the DVD. Go see it.

The movie is FANTASTIC, and Simon Helberg practically steals the show from Streep. Absolutely priceless. And in a touch of authenticity, the scrawny guy is lifting weights when Meryl shows up at his apartment. (I checked the story out on Wikipedia, and it seems he eventually became a professional weight trainer.)

OMG. I just finally brought myself to listen to that audio clip I posted above.

It is like the Portsmouth Sinfonia! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portsmouth_Sinfonia

Fascinating! Thank you, AS. I somehow missed this "orchestra" altogether! Here's a short example (not short enough though!:eek::eek::eek:)

The opening fanfare from Strauss' "Also sprach Zarathustra!"

It's interesting that the Wikipedia article states that by the time the group disbanded, about 10 years more or less after they began, so many of the long-time members had mastered their instruments' techniques so well that they played much better and most of the humorous aspect of the Sinfonia performances was lost.

TruHart1 :cool:

OMG. I just finally brought myself to listen to that audio clip I posted above.

It is like the Portsmouth Sinfonia! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portsmouth_Sinfonia

Well I only got halfway through the laughing song and could not take it any longer!!! I really want to see this movie, but I am having second thoughts... ;):eek:

Regarding the Portsmouth Sinfonia, it reminds me of a local group from a number of years ago. They began the concert with the Berlioz (they announced the piece as being by Bir-lee-oiy-zz) Le Corsaire Overture. I was with a person who has a doctorate in music composition. He started to laugh so hard that I thought he was going to split a gut trying to contain it. Of course that got me going as well! I never saw so many violin bows going opposite directions at any one given point in time.

The concert was free, so we got our money's worth. Possibly......

Anna Russell was a true genius, starting out as an aspiring musician who was perhaps a mediocre singer at best (though she was an excellent musician on piano and other instruments) who turned that liability into a major comedic career, enjoyed by both classical musicians (except perhaps composer Ned Rorem :rolleyes:) and non-musicians alike. For some of her best lines/anecdotes check out her obituary in The Guardian after she passed at the age of 94 in 2006: https://www.theguardian.com/news/2006/oct/24/guardianobituaries.obituaries1

Ms. Russell brings to mind the great Danish-born classical comedian Victor Borge. I was lucky enough to meet him once at a concert locally when I was attending as a volunteer, helping out the concert venue (and getting to see the concert) as a friend of venue management. Mr. Borge always travelled with a soprano who was a part of his comedy act. I got the duty of going out to get the soprano's young son his dinner, a McDonalds cheeseburger, fries and drink! Here is that part of his act with soprano Marilyn Mulvey:

TruHart1 :cool:

When I was a kid, I used to spend summers with my grandparents in Ohio. My grandfather adored Victor Borge and whenever he was on the Ed Sullivan or other variety shows, Grampa and I would sit in front of the Zenith in his living and cry with laughter. One year, Borge gave an outdoor concert and we went, taking our own chairs to sit in the grass. Borge used his famous line, "Those of you sitting on the lawn will have to move. They're going to mow", and my grandfather literally fell out of his chair with laughter. My grandparents had a piano in their living room and "hands off" was our favorite phrase.

Loved Victor Borge for his magnificent piano skills as well as his humor. In one skit he announced that he would be playing the Minute Waltz which was taught to him by his sister. He stopped after about 30 seconds explaining that she was his half-sister.

Loved Victor Borge for his magnificent piano skills as well as his humor. In one skit he announced that he would be playing the Minute Waltz which was taught to him by his sister. He stopped after about 30 seconds explaining that she was his half-sister.

Another line of his that made me howl was in a routine about opera when he described that the "messy soprano" was hiding behind a tree. It took me a couple of seconds to realize he was referring to the mezzo but when I finally got it, I was a goner. Does anyone remember the routine?

I saw "Florence Foster Jenkins" today and enjoyed every moment. Streep is as excellent as she always is but it's really Hugh Grant's movie. He's superb and I pray he receives an Oscar nomination for his performance. Helberg is great too and will probably get a Supporting nod.

I saw "Florence Foster Jenkins" today and enjoyed every moment. Streep is as excellent as she always is but it's really Hugh Grant's movie. He's superb and I pray he receives an Oscar nomination for his performance. Helberg is great too and will probably get a Supporting nod.

+1

I also saw it today and thoroughly enjoyed it. Hugh Grant has the really noteworthy performance in this movie. Perhaps the best performance of his life.

Another line of his that made me howl was in a routine about opera when he described that the "messy soprano" was hiding behind a tree. It took me a couple of seconds to realize he was referring to the mezzo but when I finally got it, I was a goner. Does anyone remember the routine?

I think it might be this one (the "messy soprano" begins at about 4:06)

Saw it and loved it too. It's a great "whore" movie. Meaning that you don't have to be perfect to feel like you are perfect. The ethos behind Hugh Grant's character speaks volumes to me about what it means to be a "good whore." Not exactly a heart of gold, but a more than decent human being.

Like "The Devil Wears Prada," it got under my skin and as much as it was comic and witty it also had volumes to say about what we'll do for love, money, and fortune. I loved it.

Archived