Just when you thought you've heard it all...

Beancounter
This topic is 2342 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

@Beancounter , as much as I wanted to "like" your post bc of your find and witty comment, Im honestly still in shock. I do believe it is a good idea bc no one would really want injury or death to befall a child, or for that matter a clueless adult. However, this makes me wonder if I will have to start bringing a chin strap for my next date to ensure I get eye contact. The thought of of us flirting via text across the dinner table is revolting yet possible. And, yes, sadly it has happened to me. :confused:

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/e1/1c/47/e11c4781c0fd7d997260654f8af7a268.jpg

@Beancounter , as much as I wanted to "like" your post bc of your find and witty comment, Im honestly still in shock. I do believe it is a good idea bc no one would really want injury or death to befall a child, or for that matter a clueless adult. However, this makes me wonder if I will have to start bringing a chin strap for my next date to ensure I get eye contact. The thought of of us flirting via text across the dinner table is revolting yet possible. And, yes, sadly it has happened to me. :confused:

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/e1/1c/47/e11c4781c0fd7d997260654f8af7a268.jpg

Well two things: You had a date. You flirted. That puts you way ahead of the likes of me. I would be happy to supply eye contact, if you are in need.

Well two things: You had a date. You flirted. That puts you way ahead of the likes of me. I would be happy to supply eye contact, if you are in need.

LOL..how can I say "no" to that look, that covergirl look...

http://icons.wunderground.com/data/wximagenew/t/tardo/779.jpg

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/e1/1c/47/e11c4781c0fd7d997260654f8af7a268.jpg[/quote

Ahh..I like the puppy picture and since I'm not a dog owner I'll take it at it's word. Very fascinating. One of the few animals that actually look you in the face so obviously there is some kind of eye communication going on.

I would say cats too though. They just act like they don't care.

Edited by caliguy

Ahh..I like the puppy picture and since I'm not a dog owner I'll take it at it's word. Very fascinating. I would say cats too though. They just act like they don't care.

When I look at Gato, my cat, in the eye, he looks back with disdain and probably thinks " payback is a bitch" He then proceeds to lick the area where his nut sac used to be.

Staring into the screen of a smartphone just holds no appeal - don't understand it. When I go out to restaurants where techies hang out, it is so comical. Each has his/her smartphone sitting on the table at his/her side. They don't look at each other, just the phones. And there is near-complete silence between them.

When I look at Gato, my cat, in the eye, he looks back with disdain and probably thinks " payback is a bitch" He then proceeds to lick the area where his nut sac used to be.

My parents owned a Siamese cat named Franky. He was their baby. Frank's eyes would turn black when he was angry which was often. Not sure if he cared or understood yours but if you were smart you would understand his.

Staring into the screen of a smartphone just holds no appeal - don't understand it. When I go out to restaurants where techies hang out, it is so comical. Each has his/her smartphone sitting on the table at his/her side. They don't look at each other, just the phones. And there is near-complete silence between them.

Depends on the circumstances. In that case it's ok since they're all into it. However, going out to dinner with me you'd be best to put the phone down. A certain grace period is ok. I've gotten up more then once to leave though.

Depends on the circumstances. In that case it's ok since they're all into it. However, going out to dinner with me you'd be best to put the phone down. A certain grace period is ok. I've gotten up more then once to leave though.

Even people who used to object to it are now active participants. I have a friend who has a partner quite a bit younger. The younger guy is one of those google whores who, during conversation, is constantly googling whatever is being talked about and reporting what he finds. This used to drive my friend crazy and led to a couple serious disagreements between them. But now, my friend sits there with his Ipad in his lap and does the very same thing. Somehow it's different because he's on an Ipad rather than a phone.

Even people who used to object to it are now active participants. I have a friend who has a partner quite a bit younger. The younger guy is one of those google whores who, during conversation, is constantly googling whatever is being talked about and reporting what he finds. This used to drive my friend crazy and led to a couple serious disagreements between them. But now, my friend sits there with his Ipad in his lap and does the very same thing. Somehow it's different because he's on an Ipad rather than a phone.

Ha. Well, that could actually work. As long as he's sharing the shit he finds it can add to the moment. PS.. I do that myself so I'm not exactly impartial here. Lol

Ha. Well, that could actually work. As long as he's sharing the shit he finds it can add to the moment. PS.. I do that myself so I'm not exactly impartial here. Lol

I don't like it - yet another reason for people to ignore each other and stare into a screen as a substitute for interaction.

="Truereview, post: 1116347, member: 12213"]@Beancounter , as much as I wanted to "like" your post bc of your find and witty comment, Im honestly still in shock. I do believe it is a good idea bc no one would really want injury or death to befall a child, or for that matter a clueless adult. However, this makes me wonder if I will have to start bringing a chin strap for my next date to ensure I get eye contact. The thought of of us flirting via text across the dinner table is revolting yet possible. And, yes, sadly it has happened to me.

While I'm in complete agreement that any loss of life is tragic I also realize that humanity cannot engineer itself a risk free environment. At some point people must assume personal responsibility for their actions. I suppose now it's the government's fault because it "should have known or could have foreseen" this was going to happen. Can you see the family now saying "Show me the money? My little angel was killed because there weren't stoplights on the sidewalk and she was texting. You are liable nanny state".

On a lighter note, you can flirt with me anytime, Truereview! I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

We are moving fast into an era where people are not expected to take any personal responsibility for their actions. And those with phones glued to their palms makes me sad and worried. Ditto for those whose eyes are glued to said phones.

Edited by LADoug1

• 1 year later...

A judge in Massachusetts shot down a New Jersey man’s lawsuit claiming a Bay State university was to blame for his violent rampage because they did not enforce underage drinking laws, according to reports.

Essex Superior Court Judge Salim Rodriguez Tabit tossed the lawsuit last week filed by Dillon Destefano, who cited Massachusetts’ social host liability law in his lawsuit against Endicott College and its president, the Boston Herald reports.

“The court is aware of no case, and the parties have cited none, where a Massachusetts court has entertained a claim of negligent supervision where a plaintiff argues that the defendant has a duty to protect him from himself,” Tabit wrote. “Unlike every other meritorious negligent supervision claim where a plaintiff seeks to recover damages caused by someone’s conduct, here, Destefano seeks to recover damages he himself caused.”

Destefano, of River Vale, pleaded guilty in 2014 to assault, battery and witness intimidation charges, admitting to randomly punching students after getting drunk at a dorm party earlier that year. One student suffered a broken and dislocated jaw, while a second victim had a shattered orbital bone and sinus cavity.

Destefano was sentenced to four years behind bars, but was paroled last year. He then filed a lawsuit in February seeking losses for damages to his reputation and for pain and suffering. Prior to the random attacks, Destefano claimed he had an “exemplary record” at the college — in Beverly, Mass., near Boston — and was known as a “quiet, peaceful, sociable and caring individual.” But campus police failed to intervene after he and other students drank an “inordinate amount of alcohol,” according to the lawsuit.

Attorneys for the college, meanwhile, said Destefano didn’t prove any instance where Endicott officials served him booze.

“To call the violent felon’s claims in this case wholly untenable states the proposition too mildly,” wrote Robert Smith, an attorney representing Endicott. “Indeed, his claims are patently absurd.”

Smith said a troubling precedent could have been set if Destefano’s lawsuit was allowed to proceed.

“This would have opened the floodgates to litigation,” Smith told the Boston Herald. “This would mean that a college would be responsible every time an underage student had too much to drink and hurt themselves or hurt someone else.”

Attorneys for Destefano, who no longer attends Endicott College, did not return messages seeking comment, the Boston Herald reports.