San Francisco?

Mikegaite
This topic is 2817 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Walk across the Golden Gat Bridge, view the bay from Coit Tower, check out the Academy of Science, take in the new MOMA, brunch at the Cliff House, the cable car barn and museum, the museums, both the De Young anf the Plaace of the Legion of Homor, farmers market on Saturday at the Ferry Building, take a tour of the performing arts buildings and this list is just for starters.

... brunch at the Cliff House...

Save your carb intake and have a biscuit or 2 or 3 at the cliff house!

Also, brunch at Top of the Mark (the view) or the Ritz (the ambience & food). Plus check out the view from the top floor of the mandarin oriental. Waterbar if you'd like a good seafood dinner with a nice view.

The hidden stairways - The Saturn steps, the Vulcan steps, Macondray Lane, the stairways in Telegraph Hill, the Moraga Steps, the Greenwich Steps. Forest Hill and Golden Gate Heights are honeycombed with stairways that run between the streets and avenues. There is an unbelievable panoramic view of the ocean, the Peninsula and the Golden Gate at 10th Ave. and Quintara St. There are websites devoted to the hidden stairways of San Francisco.

There are old-fashioned band concerts in golden gate park sundays at 1 pm in the music concourse between the DeYoung museum and the academy of sciences. The Goldman band in NYC winked out of existence about a decade ago; but there's still a regular series in Chicago's Grant Park.

I think the Asian art museum in SF is fairly unique. The restaurants in town are *fabulous*.

Vietnamese? try Slanted Door or Le Colonial. French? Fringale on 4th street is really, really good and Lardoise in the Castro is comparable. Over in Berkeley is the epicenter of california cuisine - Chez Panisse - you don't need reservations upstairs in the cafe, but be prepared to wait.

I'm sure locals here could recommend dozens of others!

Buy a ticket and do one of those jump "on and off" tours. The touring and sightseeing is done at one's own pace. Board a ferry and go to Alcatraz and back.

On a clear day this makes for a phenomenal view of the city. If you have an auto, drive to Diamond Heights and Twin Peaks and take in the fantastic views of "The City." Go to SFGate.com and see what's there. Go to Facebook and type in San Francisco. A lot is provided there, too. But Mike, it would have been great if you'd listed more specific interests.

Walk The Castro. It's evolved over the years, but I still prefer it when it was in its heyday during the late 70s, the 80s, and the 90s. There is a GLBTQ History Museum on 18th Street, one block from Castro. I have yet to go but recently read some good and encouraging information regarding it. The Buena Gardens area is nice for a stroll and a visit to some of the museums that are there.

For restaurants, check out what's provided at www.KQED.com/CheckPlease. Check the web for SF musts.

To end this I like what has been given by others here, esp. from sf west coaster.

Andrew Maroc

Gman

Lol...I had hoped someone would mention the #1 attraction & best reason to visit SF ;) Ty, Gman!

@honcho, ty for remembering the Slanted Door! Yum!

Now True-you are misquoting me just a bit. I put @Mikegaite at number 1. But I will admit that Andrew is very special. I'm not really one for ménages a troi, but I'm sorry I never thought of it with Mike and Andrew.

Gman

PS. However did you make those hearts? Enquiring minds want to know.

Now True-you are misquoting me just a bit. I put @Mikegaite at number 1. But I will admit that Andrew is very special. I'm not really one for ménages a troi, but I'm sorry I never thought of it with Mike and Andrew.

Gman

PS. However did you make those hearts? Enquiring minds want to know.

Wait, MG lives in SF? I thought he lived around the Bay Area...

As far as the little hearts, it happens automatically every time I type ♥️Andrew Maroc♥️ I'm sure if my keyboard had little hard-on emoticons, those would also pop up ;)

Wait, MG lives in SF? I thought he lived around the Bay Area...

As far as the little hearts, it happens automatically every time I type ♥️Andrew Maroc♥️ I'm sure if my keyboard had little hard-on emoticons, those would also pop up ;)

Mike lives in San Jose. My knowledge of California geography is scant (actually any geography:confused:-I never had a 50 states or state capitols test). But I would have thought San Fran, Oakland, San Jose, San Mateo, and etc were all considered part of the Bay Area.

Gman

Mike lives in San Jose. My knowledge of California geography is scant (actually any geography:confused:-I never had a 50 states or state capitols test). But I would have thought San Fran, Oakland, San Jose, San Mateo, and etc were all considered part of the Bay Area.

Gman

That sounds right about the Bay Area. So technically, I believe you and I agree that ♥️Andrew Maroc♥️ Is the #1 attraction in SF except for whatever time MG spends there. during that time, I think you and I should fly up and put this all to a test.

That sounds right about the Bay Area. So technically, I believe you and I agree that ♥️Andrew Maroc♥️ Is the #1 attraction in SF except for whatever time MG spends there. during that time, I think you and I should fly up and put this all to a test.

In Texas terms the distance between San Jose and San Francisco is negligible. They might as well be part of the same city. That's why I put @Mikegaite as #1. If you are going to be a stickler about city limits, then I'll agree with your comments on Andrew M.

Gman

• 3 weeks later...

Geek that I am (normally, I'm just a Nerd):

My first visit to San Francisco was part of a three-city tour that culminated in a medical school interview at UCSD. This is ca 1974-75.

I got into San Francisco at who knows when (from Boston). I got on a streetcar the wrong way, which I quickly discovered (I never lose my direction). I went to my guesthouse, on Parnassus Way. Something like the Parnassus Way Guest House. It was ... well, like a rooming house, for want of a better description, but at $6 / night (!!!!) it was worth it. I left my stuff, such as it was, and the first thing I decided to see was the Motor House for the Cable Car system. I had to find out how the hell that thing worked.

To be complete: I went to LA for a day or two, and went to a law class. One of my fraternity brothers was at USC in law school:

"
WHO ARE YOU??"
the Professor asked.

"Umm ... I'm a friend of Michiro's," I answered.

"Mr. [last name deleted]! We do
NOT
have guests in class without asking the professor!"

So much for Law School. I was much better suited for medical school.

Thence to San Diego. It was a late-afternoon repositioning flight: A DC-10 from LA to SD. I think it was a half-hour. They put ALL the passengers in first class.

I had the strangest interview at UCSD. It made me doubt my own sanity. A week or so afterwards, I got a letter from the MEd School, telling me that, if I thought I had been misrepresented at my interview, I should write them, telling them of my experience, and why I thought I should be considered. Very, very strange.

But: I had to see the Motor house for the cable car system.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
What would you generally recommend to someone who is visiting San Francisco?

The thing about SF is that all the "cheesy" tourist attractions are actually pretty great!

I like:

North Beach for its restaurants and coffee houses

Chinatown

Coit Tower for the amazing view

Pier 39--touristy, but great if the sea lions are in town

The Embarcadero--Ferry Building and farmer's market on Saturday mornings

Golden Gate park and the De Young Museum for its architecture

By all means, ride the cable cars with the rest of the tourists--they are a national treasure

Cliff House is fun for lunch

MOMA is a fine museum

I like the Mission district for good Mexican food

Boat tours on the bay are great and I hear Alcatraz is worth the trip

Take the ferry to Sausalito

If you have a car, drive up to Point Reyes, Muir Woods and Stimson Beach for a great day out of town.

Dress in layers. No matter how warm it may be in the afternoon, when the sun goes down and the fog rolls in, the temperature will plunge 40 degrees and you will freeze in a T-shirt.

Archived