Apparently Spelling Is Dead Also....

Gar1eth
This topic is 2930 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

No, I believe he meant Rusty C. Shively. I was in fact invited to his memorial service but had to watch it in TV since it was raining at the time and I had no clean cloak to wear:

TruHart1 :cool:

Perhaps I should supply additional info on the Italian tradition of Rusty C Shively. It is related to an old custom where a "rusty pizza" is served. In Italian it is known as a "pizza rustica". However, is has nothing to do with what Americans think of as traditional Italian pizza. It is actually derived from an old medieval custom where a knght (cavaliere) would honor a fallen brethren with a funereal feast that would feature this unique form of pizza. Hence the origin of the Italian term "Cavalleria rustica" or more often "Cavalleria rusticana" and referenced by @TruHart1 as the tradition of "Rusty C. Shively".

Here is the some of the music that traditionally would be performed midway through the festivities:

Here is the Rusty Pizza that traditionally would be served:

http://blog.cookaround.com/battistiforever/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/pizzarustica-fuoco2.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope y'all were kidding. 'Shively' obviously = 'Chivalry'.

Gman

You're probably right, but I would never have gotten "chivalry" out of what was written on my own. There's a point at which I stop trying to parse something that doesn't make sense as written.

As for chivalry itself, I prefer kindness and manners. I don't have a problem with men opening doors for me as long as they don't have a problem with me opening doors for them if, for example, they're carrying something in both hands and I'm not. But I prefer to put on my own coat, thanks. It's usually faster and more efficient.

These days, whenever possible, I use the automatic doors. :)

I hope y'all were kidding. 'Shively' obviously = 'Chivalry'.

Gman

Given the comment about manners right before, I immediately thought "chivalry" as well.

I don't have a problem with men opening doors for me as long as they don't have a problem with me opening doors for them
Agreed.

I don't hold the door open for women--I hold it open for anyone right behind me. It's just good manners.

I don't hold the door open for women--I hold it open for anyone right behind me. It's just good manners.

I hold doors frequently for either sex although maybe not always. Sometimes it depends on circumstance. The main time I seem to end up holding doors for other men is when I'm at a restaurant. I hold a door open for a woman. Then a big family group comes by immediately after that. There always seems to be a bit of awkwardness as to whether I'm going to keep holding the door open for the next family he is a part of or whether he is going to take over the door holding responsibilities from me. I usually just keep holding the door open.

Often there is an outer door and then a waiting area with an inner door into the restaurant. And the guy I held one of the doors for ends up holding the next door for me as he holds the door open for his family. A guy will usually thank me as I've held the door open for him and his family. Then as he holds the next door open for me, I mumble a 'thank you too'. But the handover of doors between guys can definitely be a bit awkward.

Gman

I hold doors frequently for either sex although maybe not always. Sometimes it depends on circumstance. The main time I seem to end up holding doors for other men is when I'm at a restaurant. I hold a door open for a woman. Then a big family group comes by immediately after that. There always seems to be a bit of awkwardness as to whether I'm going to keep holding the door open for the next family he is a part of or whether he is going to take over the door holding responsibilities from me. I usually just keep holding the door open.

Often there is an outer door and then a waiting area with an inner door into the restaurant. And the guy I held one of the doors for ends up holding the next door for me as he holds the door open for his family. A guy will usually thank me as I've held the door open for him and his family. Then as he holds the next door open for me, I mumble a 'thank you too'. But the handover of doors between guys can definitely be a bit awkward.

Gman

Why is it awkward? If someone holds a door open for you, say thank you. No need to feel awkward or mumble.

If they don't, especially after you've held one open for them, silently curse them with a big smile on your face.

Why is it awkward? If someone holds a door open for you, say thank you. No need to feel awkward or mumble.

If they don't, especially after you've held one open for them, silently curse them with a big smile on your face.

Ahhhh Silently. that would probably be better.

It's the changeover of whether I'm still going to hold the door open for him or whether he's taking over for me. I misspoke (miswrote) in describing my verbal response back. My reply, when I said mumble, I only meant I said it in a more quiet voice. I mentioned in another thread my voice has a tendency to carry.

Gman

Phew! [Wipes sweat from brow.] I saw the headline and I thought Tori died ...

:rolleyes:

I thought it referred to that Catholic cardinal, and was thinking, of course he's dead. He would be about 150 y o now! Then, I realized his name was Spellman. What a relief.

If I am entering a store at about the same time as someone is exiting (or vice versa), I always hold the door and let them go first. More often then not, people behind the person I hold the door for speed up to get through the door I am holding before I can enter. If they had not increased their pace, I could have entered and they could have exited without breaking their pace. I always say, "If you are going to treat me like the doorman, then at least tip me."

You're probably right, but I would never have gotten "chivalry" out of what was written on my own. There's a point at which I stop trying to parse something that doesn't make sense as written.

As for chivalry itself, I prefer kindness and manners. I don't have a problem with men opening doors for me as long as they don't have a problem with me opening doors for them if, for example, they're carrying something in both hands and I'm not. But I prefer to put on my own coat, thanks. It's usually faster and more efficient.

These days, whenever possible, I use the automatic doors. :)

If I'm late to my Personal Training sessions, I don't go and change; I just go to the trainer's room, and put my shirt somewhere.

When we're done, he picks it up and helps me put it on. He also carries my water bottle for me. Chivalry, yes, but it all makes me incredibly uncomfortable.

250px-Shively.jpg

Shively is also a city near Louisville. It's called "Lively Shively" derisively - so when I saw that "Shively is dead" I thought: Yeah, I know.

If he was referring to Shively, Kentucky, his grammar still sucks, but not necessarily his spelling.

I thought [the headline, Apparently Spelling Is Dead...] referred to that Catholic cardinal, and was thinking, of course he's dead. He would be about 150 y o now! Then, I realized his name was Spellman...

So, y'mean, he'd be very shrivel-y?

Perhaps I should supply additional info on the Italian tradition of Rusty C Shively. It is related to an old custom where a "rusty pizza" is served. In Italian it is known as a "pizza rustica". However, is has nothing to do with what Americans think of as traditional Italian pizza. It is actually derived from an old medieval custom where a knght (cavaliere) would honor a fallen brethren with a funereal feast that would feature this unique form of pizza. Hence the origin of the Italian term "Cavalleria rustica" or more often "Cavalleria rusticana" and referenced by @TruHart1 as the tradition of "Rusty C. Shively".

Here is the Rusty Pizza that traditionally would be served:

http://blog.cookaround.com/battistiforever/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/pizzarustica-fuoco2.jpg

Looks delicious...now that's the original stuffed crust pizza, WG, so now I wish you good knight!!!

Looks delicious...now that's the original stuffed crust pizza, WG, so now I wish you good knight!!!

It's at the very least an all day project to make and quite costly as well. As such it is usually made only once a year at Easter time. Given the ingredients you don't want to have your cholesterol level checked after having eaten it! :eek:

I am a door holder! When my dad was alive and I was his primary caretaker I always appreciated when I got a helping hand as he not only used a walker but was legally blind as well.

What irritated me was that regarding restaurants the help received was always inversely proportional to the quality of the eatery. If we were at a diner folks would run out of their way to offer a helping hand. At a five star establishment help was often non existent. I recall one such restaurant in Naples Florida that had a very heavy ornatly carved wooden door. Not only did customers waiting to be seated not help, but neither did the hostess. All seemed to be looking at us and were wondering who would fall down first the old guy who could not see where he was going or the younger guy struggling to help him. I kid you not! Needless to say I never returned to that damned place.

I am a door holder! When my dad was alive and I was his primary caretaker I always appreciated when I got a helping hand as he not only used a walker but was legally blind as well...

I am also a door holder for everyone. I was not my dad's primary caretaker, but I would fill in as the reliever. It was ALWAYS nice when someone would hold the door open. Corralling an ornery senior citizen while making sure he doesn't fall and break something is a tough job.

I am also a door holder for everyone. I was not my dad's primary caretaker, but I would fill in as the reliever. It was ALWAYS nice when someone would hold the door open. Corralling an ornery senior citizen while making sure he doesn't fall and break something is a tough job.

Well my dad "fired" all the help that I set up for him and I was the only one left standing. So in that regard he was an "ornery senior citizen". At times I did not always do what I had to do with a smile on my face, but I gladly did it. In retrospect I am happy having done what I needed to do and as such have no regrets.

I am a door holder! When my dad was alive and I was his primary caretaker I always appreciated when I got a helping hand as he not only used a walker but was legally blind as well.

What irritated me was that regarding restaurants the help received was always inversely proportional to the quality of the eatery. If we were at a diner folks would run out of their way to offer a helping hand. At a five star establishment help was often non existent. I recall one such restaurant in Naples Florida that had a very heavy ornatly carved wooden door. Not only did customers waiting to be seated not help, but neither did the hostess. All seemed to be looking at us and were wondering who would fall down first the old guy who could not see where he was going or the younger guy struggling to help him. I kid you not! Needless to say I never returned to that damned place.

I had a funny experience at a place that was a bit higher class than Denny's -more like a Perkins. An elderly woman and man had come in and eaten. I thought they were married. But they weren't. The man had a few glasses of wine with dinner. As they left, he fell in the parking lot. I think he cut his scalp and it was bleeding.

Several people rushed to help. I thing we got him a chair to sit on in the parking lot. Management called 911, EMS came, and they decided to have him checked at the Emegency Department. That left the woman stranded at the restaurant. I was still under the impression that they were married at this point. It was eventually explained to me that they weren't. The woman was, I think, embarrassed about the whole incident-especially since the man had been drinking. I had just arrived and had only been served a root beer when all this occurred. It turned out the woman didn't live very far away in an apartment in a retirement community.

I took the woman home. This man had apparently lived in the same community at one time but had moved. So all the way to the apartment-the woman tried to tell me how she barely knew the man and had just gone to dinner with him. I ended up staying with the woman at her apartment for about 30 minutes because even though she barely knew the guy, she thought she had the phone number of a relative of his whom she wanted to call to let them know he was in the hospital. She couldn't find it-but she did tell me about how she didn't approve of drinking. I get back to the restaurant eventually. The manager says that despite the woman's claims to the contrary they had come to the restaurant together before.

Gman

I thought it referred to that Catholic cardinal, and was thinking, of course he's dead. He would be about 150 y o now! Then, I realized his name was Spellman. What a relief.

A thread about Francis Cardinal Spellman, the former archbishop of New York, would be tantalizing. As you may know, Franny is the Patron Saint of Closeted Gays.

"Indeed, Cardinal Spellman’s taste for chorus boys was no secret amongst Irish Catholics it would seem. The MSM complied with the conspiracy to keep quiet as well on the subject of the biggest queen in America, red dress and all, living in the Bishop’s Palace at 50th St. and Madison Avenue in New York City on the grounds of St. Patrick’s Cathedral.

An aside, I don’t think that J. Edgar Hoover was as big a queen as Francis, as some say. J. might have been a closeted gay and maybe even asexual. I don’t think that he wore dresses. I think those stories about J. Edgar are exaggerated and revenge after that blackmailing bureaucratic snake went to his eternal reward and have been perpetuated by his many, many, many enemies."

Franny is among several illustrious gays (Walt Witman, J. Edgar, James Buchanan) to have high schools dedicated to their memories.

Archived