Grindr?

manTOman
This topic is 2323 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Does it work? Any horror and/or success stories?

I'm a very average looking guy and so far it's been lots of talk and not much else. It feels like the chances of getting lucky on there are equal to winning lottery?

Well the odds of getting lucky there are influenced by the same factors that influence how easy it is to get lucky anywhere else. How good is your product and how desperate is the seeker. I am sure 25 year old male models do not have difficulty hooking up on Grindr, should they choose to do so. They may have to fight their way through the kudzu of mere mortals, but ultimately, success is almost certain. A senior man, such as myself, could sit on Grindr for weeks, without any kind of nibble.

Does it work? Any horror and/or success stories?

I'm a very average looking guy and so far it's been lots of talk and not much else. It feels like the chances of getting lucky on there are equal to winning lottery?

Unless you are only interested in very young guys you should try Scruff. It's still a hook-up app and you must have reasonable expectations, but it's a much better place for anyone over 35.

• 1 year later...

One of four Texas men accused of using a dating app to assault and rob gay men has been sentenced to 15 years in prison.

Federal prosecutors say 21-year-old Nigel Garrett and three other Dallas-area men were charged with hate crimes, kidnappings, carjackings and using firearms to commit violent crimes.

An 18-count indictment alleges the men arranged meetings at victims’ homes through a social media dating platform for gay men. Investigators say most victims were tied up, assaulted and robbed at gunpoint.

The indictment alleges the suspects are responsible for four home invasions in North Texas, in the cities of Plano, Frisco and Aubrey, over about a three-week period early last year.

Garrett was sentenced Wednesday following a plea agreement. The other three suspects also have pleaded guilty. They’re awaiting sentencing.

My app-speriences:

Grindr, Scruff, BiggerCity, Growlr.

1. Not one guy I found interesting was interested in me. 90% no response at all, 10% would chat briefly, but refuse to meet.
  2. Some guys contacted me, but none were remotely of interest to me. In a bizarre twist, it was as if opposites of my desires somehow knew to contact me. I actually disappointed myself, discovered I'm more judgemental than I care to admit. Most frequent reaction to the guys who wanted to meet: yech!
  3. I found zero men for hire or even seeking generous
  4. Biggest shock of all... 2017, and there are still people titillated by the idea of collecting pictures online. 3-4 guys per day just wanted pics, generally 500 to 15,000 miles away.

Tried several times over past 18 months. Tried while traveling to see if locale was a factor. Tried past few weeks, to see if holiday season would mean different spirit, or bring visitors to my location.

All apps uninstalled 1/1/18

I guess we are talking about no fee hook ups.

Grindr has never worked for me, @LaffingBear list at post #6 perfectly describes my experience.

About 6 months ago I started trying Scruff. Much more interesting, 2 hook ups so far, no one to repeat.

My best no fee hook ups source continues to be Adam. Not only I hook up, I get regular guys.

And let's make clear I am not a pretty gurl.

I saw this phrase in someone's Grindr ad: "professional on the side." Was that a discreet mention that he was for hire, or was it just a joke that his day job was like a hobby?

Probably a clue to let know he is for hire. It is forbidden to offer paid services and there are users who report those who do it. So they have to be very careful.