Cast Iron cookware

mmk123
This topic is 2977 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

okay, this is going to be a really gay thread (and lite-hearted which I think is needed)

for some bizarre reason, I have decided to switch over to all cast iron cookware and get rid off all of my other pots and pans (with the exception of a big stockpot). So far I have got the following

• Lodge 8 inch skillet
  • Lodge 3.2 Combo cooker (10 inch deep skillet with a lid that is a 9.5 shallow skillet/griddle
  • Le Creuset 5 quart oval dutch oven (red, of course)

I am definitely going to get a 12 inch pan (from Lodge) but I do think I will need one more piece. I was thinking of a pot for when I need to heat up sauce or acidic foods (since I have read that acidic food like tomatoes can break the seasoning down in cast iron). Since I know some of you probably have kitchens that would put Martha and Julia and Rachel Ray to shame, any advice?

(I also got a Le Creuset Square Casserole dish that is stoneware because it is always good to have a versatile piece that can go in the freezer, microwave and oven)

(like I said, this is a mega gay thread-LOL)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know cast iron is all the rage right now (and I have quite a bit of it) but I can't imagine it being the only thing in a kitchen.

Tomatoes are indeed acidic. It's citric acid, to be specific, which also means any use of lemon, lime or grapefruit rules out cast iron. You'll need something different for those shrimp stir-fry dishes that need a squeeze of lemon.

You'll need a variety. Always. Julia always had an omelette pan that was't cast iron. I do too!

I’m kinda doing much the same thing with my cooking stuff. But I have just a simple kitchen. And I am just a simple cook. I would never claim to be a “chef”.

+1 on the Lodge Combo Cooker. I also have one. Wonderfully versatile!

And yes, acidic foods are hard on cast iron. So I’m looking at a porcelain / enamel pot. I’m leaning towards a Lodge Enameled Cast Iron 3qt Dutch Oven. Price is reasonable and reviews indicate it’s a very good design with the rounded transition between the bottom and sides. Helps to keep things from sticking and makes for easy cleaning.

I’m also likely to get a mid sized stainless steel fry pan. Probably a Lodge 10”.

I agree that you might need a couple different size sauce pans. Look at a couple French copper pans also... . copper is great to cook with and has a nice look in the kitchen. Cooking sheets are useful. I know you said pots and pans, but you should have some Corning ware.

If there is a William Sonoma or Sur la Table in your area, great for ideas.

One other suggestion..... If you're into estate sales or second hand stores, many times you can find wonderful old copper and cast iron pans at great prices.

I know cast iron is all the rage right now (and I have quite a bit of it) but I can't imagine it being the only thing in a kitchen.

Tomatoes are indeed acidic. It's citric acid, to be specific, which also means any use of lemon, lime or grapefruit rules out cast iron. You'll need something different for those shrimp stir-fry dishes that need a squeeze of lemon.

You'll need a variety. Always. Julia always had an omelette pan that was't cast iron. I do too!

Vinegars breakdown the cast iron seasoning too if you use any in shrimp boils, etc. vinegars and citric acid also not great in aluminum...you'll wonder how your aluminum got so clean when you cooked up that lemon based boil...

okay, this is going to be a really gay thread (and lite-hearted which I think is needed)

for some bizarre reason, I have decided to switch over to all cast iron cookware and get rid off all of my other pots and pans (with the exception of a big stockpot). So far I have got the following

• Lodge 8 inch skillet
  • Lodge 3.2 Combo cooker (10 inch deep skillet with a lid that is a 9.5 shallow skillet/griddle

I am definitely going to get a 12 inch pan (from Lodge) but I do think I will need one more piece. I was thinking of a pot for when I need to heat up sauce or acidic foods (since I have read that acidic food like tomatoes can break the seasoning down in cast iron). Since I know some of you probably have kitchens that would put Martha and Julia and Rachel Ray to shame, any advice?

(I also got a Le Creuset Square Casserole dish that is stoneware because it is always good to have a versatile piece that can go in the freezer, microwave and oven)

Yikes, yeah where to start. In addition to a full set of All-Clad Copper Core for "everyday", I also have 3 different Scanpan non-sticks, 3 stainless stock pots (16-18 quart each), and a couple copper sauté pans.

For Cast iron- (mostly Lodge brand, not all though):

2 of the lodge combos mentioned by the OP, mainly for baking artisan bread, but very versatile

1 - 12 quart cast iron pot, for gumbo roux, fry chicken, etoufee', carnitas, etc.

1 - 2 quart cast iron pot, fun for small batches of roux, small frying or sauces, gravy

2 - cast iron skillets for frying, or blackening fish etc. on outdoor propane burner

1 - cast iron skillet with the grilling ridges, don't use a lot

1 - cast iron pizza stone for the oven or outdoor grill

Oh yeah, and a 40 quart aluminum stockpot with basket for deep frying turkeys or steaming lobsters on the propane burner.

Lol, I'm probably forgetting a few...

Cast iron is wonderful, but as Deej and others suggest, keep a couple others pots and sauté/fry pans of a different material around.

I am not going to go strictly cast iron - I am looking at enameled pieces, whether that are cast iron enabled or steel enameled. (I forgot to mention that I got a carbon steel wok that I am in the process of seasoning)

I was thinking about the Lodge 3 qt enameled cast iron Dutch Oven but some of the reviews have not been that great (chipping, enamel flaking off)

Having carpal tunnel syndrome rules out cast iron for me (too heavy). Instead I have Circulon that I just love. It is nonstick, but it browns nicely.

You will need a few saucepans. My suggestion is 1- and 3-quart.

I've a 12" cast-iron skillet handed down from my grandmother, about 2" deep that I use for everything from searing steaks to making paella. I don't use the lard that she did but I do follow her advice to not use detergent'ish soaps on it - just rinse it out and dry it. Easy-peasy.

there is a Le Creuset outlet store about 40 miles from me that sells "seconds". The seconds are mostly cosmetic on the outside. Still not cheap, but cheaper than 1st run. Over time I have picked up 6 pieces of cookware. All are cast iron with an enamel interior. They are my go to cook ware. I also have an omelet pan and a couple of stainless stockpots.

I have all sorts of cookware, a couple of cast iron pieces, Scanpan stainless steel (not non-stick), enamel ones I bought 40 years ago and others I 'inherited' [for want of a better word] from mum (and my grandmother) and others. And some corningware and pyrex. What sort of cooktop you have will affect what you use. Electric ones heat up and cool down slowly and heavy cookware enhances that effect, whereas gas hotplates provide instantaneous heat that can be turned off instantly. Light weight cookware helps you to use that characteristic. You need to think about how residual heat, whether in the cooktop or the saucepan affects what you are trying to cook. Sometimes, even, continued heat works, at other times (stir frying for example) the ability to apply and stop heating quickly is important.

At one point, Julia had a saute pan that was solid gold. It was a little heavy, but conducted heat well, had a high heat capacity, and released it slowly. $10,000 was a little high for frying an egg, though.

books?id=wivWWGuzd9oC&pg=PA23&img=1&zoom=3&hl=en&ots=f7nQwGQ1qk&sig=ACfU3U1eNt5ibgjpVfO8NVsjcBBknBSr4A&w=1025

there is a Le Creuset outlet store about 40 miles from me that sells "seconds". The seconds are mostly cosmetic on the outside. Still not cheap, but cheaper than 1st run. Over time I have picked up 6 pieces of cookware. All are cast iron with an enamel interior. They are my go to cook ware. I also have an omelet pan and a couple of stainless stockpots.

craigville, thank you for posting this. It reminded me that Marshall's, HomeGoods, and TJMaxx often have Le Creuset "seconds" at very decent prices. Also, don't overlook the clearance rack at your local department store. One of my favorite "finds" ever was at a Carson's that had undergone a major renovation. $50 for a comforter from a designer I liked at the time. Original price was over $300. Used the thing until it fell apart from old age.

Someone also mentioned Sur La Table. I recently bought a Staub enameled cast-iron grill pan when it was on sale. Love the thing. They also have a clearance rack and you would be surprised by some of the things you can find there.

Happy hunting!!!

Last time I was in the Le Creuset outlet store here I told the lady what I was looking for and she opened every box in stock looking for the least flawed. I didn't even see any of the flaws! That stuff really is completely usable if you don't mind an occasional spot of color in what should be white. It won't affect the way the pot works!

Another source for enamel-coated cast iron, believe it or not, is the Kirkland brand at Costco. They're affordable and as serviceable as anything made by Le Creuset. Of course, shopping at Costco requires accepting whatever they have in stock that day. It takes patience.

One of my favorites that I have had for almost 20 years is a cast iron oven-ready pan for anything needing to be roasted or cooked in the oven at high heat. I can't live without it because I can use it on top of the stove, too.

On the rare occasion that I am doing steak on the BBQ and the propane runs out (I had multiple problems with my gas line) I can heat this sucker at high heat on the burner before I use it and get a good char to the steak!

It is indispensable!

I also heard that the old fashioned cast iron cookware had to be "cured" before use. Can't remember how.

I think I oiled it and simply heated it up on the stove burner - it's been many years since I did it. But, that's the beauty of having this kind of pan - it really will last you a lifetime!

I think I oiled it and simply heated it up on the stove burner - it's been many years since I did it. But, that's the beauty of having this kind of pan - it really will last you a lifetime!

You can also oil it up (what kind of oil much debated), wipe the oil in, then bake the cast iron in the oven. I do this with multiple pieces at the same time if they need re-seasoning.

From the Lodge website:

"Apply a very thin, even coating of MELTED solid vegetable shortening (or cooking oil of your choice) to the cookware (inside and out). Place aluminum foil on the bottom rack of the oven to catch any dripping, and set temperature to 350 – 400 degrees F. Place cookware upside down on the top rack of the oven."

https://www.lodgemfg.com/use-and-care/lodge-frequently-asked-questions.asp

• Lodge 8 inch skillet

I love love love to cook and almost exclusively use cast iron. I do have a pot to boil water in for coffee (I use a French press) and a large stockpot, but otherwise it's cast iron all the way. I got all my cast iron at flea markets and yard sales because I like the feel I get from an older item, but newer items are just as great. The big "thing" about cast iron is the seasoning. Some folks are inclined to believe it is a lot more fragile than it actually is. You most certainly CAN use acidic items in a cast iron skillet - you may not want to let them sit around in there for days after, but you can cook with them. The seasoning is not just a layer of oil, it's a layer of polymerized oil - it's stuck to the iron chemically, not just spread on and waiting to come off. My advice is to learn how to care for your pan - including cooking, washing, and seasoning - and then do the work it takes! I've included a link that I think you may find helpful.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-truth-about-cast-iron.html

I love love love to cook and almost exclusively use cast iron. I do have a pot to boil water in for coffee (I use a French press) and a large stockpot, but otherwise it's cast iron all the way. I got all my cast iron at flea markets and yard sales because I like the feel I get from an older item, but newer items are just as great. The big "thing" about cast iron is the seasoning. Some folks are inclined to believe it is a lot more fragile than it actually is. You most certainly CAN use acidic items in a cast iron skillet - you may not want to let them sit around in there for days after, but you can cook with them. The seasoning is not just a layer of oil, it's a layer of polymerized oil - it's stuck to the iron chemically, not just spread on and waiting to come off. My advice is to learn how to care for your pan - including cooking, washing, and seasoning - and then do the work it takes! I've included a link that I think you may find helpful.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-truth-about-cast-iron.html

*swoon* he cooks, he cleans, he seasons...life is no fair!

*swoon* he cooks, he cleans, he seasons...life is no fair!

Come for dinner (I'm a great cook - especially Middle Eastern, Italian and NE regional American), stay for drinks (I make my own cocktail bitters and shrubs), get too tipsy and stay for breakfast (I bake my own bread to go with your eggs. Or you can go lighter and have some of my homemade yogurt). Still swooning? :)

Archived