How do you deal with stress?

geminibear
This topic is 3017 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The perfect storm has made landfall at my work. Incredibly 3 major projects have all come together at the same time and all have deadlines around the same time. I have called battle stations and the team is doing a good job of pulling it together. Still there are lots of moving pieces with each project requiring my input and approval almost daily. Being the introvert non social bear that I am, I easily find myself spending 12-14 hours a day and readily committed the future weekends working on these projects.

All that being said I enjoy my job and have no desire to change, and after these projects are complete we will go back to being a sleepy work group working on one or two long term projects at a time. But I do find myself extremely stressed out and constantly thinking about work. Too the point that I am only sleeping 4-5 hours a night and even then waking up in between to think of something that possibly was overlooked.

By not having a family or a spouse to come home to have I over prioritized work? Am I living to work and not working to live?

Here is your chance to psychoanalyze the GemBear and see just what makes him tick. :rolleyes:

How do you deal with stress?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went through a similar situation from early 2014 through Feb 0f 2015. I had little to no support at work, I was assaulted, threatened, bullied and harassed while getting the requested project completed. All the promised support never materialized. In the end I left the job after several decades with PTSD. I had a great medical team who took very good care of me and today, after 1 year I'm doing great.

Don't let things get to out of hand. Document everything. If your management won't help, step in when necessary (or when asked for), document that. Regrettably you can't trust the ownership/management to be there in the end

But for real.

#1 stay hydrated . Your body won't cope if it's not happy. Try some lemon and lime to play with your body PH.

#2 walk more, hit the gym or for lunch walk down tho block to the sandwich shop.

#3 read, listen to relaxing music and eat plenty.

#4 sleep aids. Try Tylenol pm or calamine tea, or even melatonin.

#5 find a good LMT to get you to relax, right now you need Parasympatheic Relaxation. Being awake but mentally I aware. Your body would love that right now.

#6 tell your friends, family and people you care about you love them. Tell them how stressed you are and offer to be open to suggestions, maybe someone wants to do something fun

With you

#7 is optional, it requires a trip to Colarodo, Oregon or Washington State. Medical marijuana. You'll be 100%!

There's different types. Mellow to intense. Depending on your mood. This would help you see both sides of yourself work and play. You'll be able to think less serious for a couple hours. Seems like that's what you need, maybe not weed, but to let things go for awhile. You need to focus on you.

Just like everyone told me after my burns. Time to sit down and sit still for awhile.

The things that BK mentions are all excellent - you need to care for yourself.

One other thing that i do when i am totally stressed is to carve out 45-min to a hour (with interruption under pain of death) and use the process of self hypnosis and visualization to totally relax and rejuvenate so i can come out swinging, if necessary. The best time FOR ME is early afternoon when things seem to be going wrong all around!

Gem, i also love my work and I obsess/stress out bc I'm so passionate about it. A couple of things I do:

1. Time with my pets. Whenever I can, I spend 1-2 quality hours with them. Playing, walking, watching them play with each other. Just being silly with them.
  2. Whenever i get a chance, I go outdoors. There is a beautiful park near me, where I just go and take in the scenery. I find quiet moments in nature help me focus. Get fresh air, change the scenery.
  3. I find it helpful and de-stressing to do something for others. Sometimes, I'm so stressed out that I can't bear focusing on myself, but if think of my team - which is probably feeling the stress too - it helps me deal with my own shit. I'm known to order a ton of pizzas late at night when the team is pulling an all nighter. I had a clown crash one of our staff meetings during a particularly stressful time. They loved it and bc they are having fun, I de-stress.
  4. Humor and fun are, to me, a major stress relief. It can be as simple as reading the Friday Funnies thread and as elaborate as planning a practical joke. Just laugh outloud as much as you can. A fit of laughter seems to do it for me.

When I'm stressed i do some of the following: Take a nap, listen to calming music, have a dance party, either solo or grab Spanish Gentleman kitty and dance around being silly, treat myself to a naughty sweet treat and remember you can do this, you got this and it to shall pass.

Hugs,

Greg

By not having a family or a spouse to come home to have I over prioritized work? Am I living to work and not working to live?

If you've been in this position more than once, yes. I've been on the career treadmill for too long and only when I reached 50 realized that my priorities were wrong. Prioritizing, in the one lifetime you are given, having a family or spouse over your work is a better plan. You may know this already but it is absolutely true that the window to have some things in life does close as we get older. Nobody on their deathbed wishes they had worked more, had more money or is thinking about how they'll spend their millions or billions in the afterlife (because by law their coffin won't have any money in it).

Make changes to put lovers, friends, family, recreation, hobbies, health, etc. at the top of your priority list or you're more likely than not to repeat my mistake and whats the sense in doing that? After physical pain, what hurt most? Regret.

Between us- I'm low today too. I wanna smoke and drink, however I'm gonna hit the pool, hot tub then the gym and find myself someone to spank at Flex Atlanta. :)

Don't be low Brian. I'm sure the guys will be queuing up & dropping their shorts, salivating at the thought of being spanked by your healed magic hands!

In your situation it is easy to become ruled and overwhelmed by "the list", the things right in front of you that demand to be done NOW!!!! If they don't get accomplished and crossed off " the list", one gets anxious and discouraged, right? Try this.... At the end of the day, make a list of what you DID accomplish, instead of focusing on what you did not. Then cross the completed tasks off "the list", Pat yourself on the back and get some r and r. You are working hard as you can and making great progress; celebrate your successes.

I find hitting the gym and working out your frustrations there the perfect cure all if that's your thing. For me it is a form of relaxation so it always works perfectly. Also, just getting away from it all and listening to music always helps.

However, a good S&M session can work as well. Well usually does. However, A few years ago when under what has so far been the most stressful period in my life I went to the bondage club in NYC and had one of the head honchos there do some unspeakable things to me. It was really nothing that he had not done to me previously, but I freaked out. I guess the combination was too much for me to bear.

Fortunately, I'm over that now. Actually if I were in @Brian Kevin 's neck of the woods I would gladly drop my shorts and let him have his way with me until my butt had a healthy red glow. I would also invite @geminibear to watch and even participate in the fun. I think that would put all of us in quite a good mood!

All kidding aside, I had one of the most stressful jobs on the planet. I survived and made it to retirement. It was worth the ride. It's just that at times one needs to consider their own needs above and beyond work. However, for those of us who are not wired that way it is a difficult thing to consider doing. However, if you don't think of your health and well being first really no one else will do it for you. Plus, when a person is conscientious regarding their job what they consider putting them self first to entail is nothing in comparison to what the average person would consider doing.

There is a time when we all need to back off a bit, even bears and big guys! ;)

* Get into a routine

* Get organized/ make a list of things to accomplish everyday. Do the hardest thing first, then go through your day.

* Drink plenty of fluids

* Eat healthy/very healthy

* Exercise/indoors outdoors, doesn't matter.

* Meditate in the morning/ and at night

* Log on to Daddy's...You'll realize you're not the only one stressed out, and your life will look pretty damn good.

Failing all of the above...

Happy Hour...A good scotch rocks, just to take the edge off, then call Brian Kevin, take him to a buffet, then take him home...http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/happy/smileys-happy-474071.gif

I went through something very similar last year. It was very important, the company was very focused on it, and the deadline was absolutely fixed. Failure was not an option. It was very long days and very high stress. This is what helped me get through it without eating up hours that I needed to spend getting the job done:

1. Constantly reminding myself that this was temporary and there was a light at the end of the tunnel.
  2. Recognizing that working the extra hours and long days was actually less stressful then trying to take more "me time" off. That little epiphany helped my attitude greatly.
  3. Sleep was critical. I took Ambien during this period. Maybe the good doctor [uSER=9945]@funguy[/uSER] could comment on this. I know that pills aren't the answer for everything, but it was important that I get five or six hours of good sleep. Ambien kept me down for that amount of time without waking up and doing the mental churn you are doing. There was no hangover and it really made a huge difference on how I felt physically.

#4 sleep aids. Try Tylenol pm or calamine tea, or even melatonin. Doxylamine is kind of like benadryl [in being another antihistamine] that works well. You may combine 5-HTP [5-hydroxytryptophan; it acts like eating a turkey dinner] and valerian. Or go to your doc and get ambien, lunesta, etc.

#5 find a good LMT to get you to relax, right now you need Parasympatheic Relaxation. Being awake but mentally I aware. Your body would love that right now.

#6 tell your friends, family and people you care about you love them. Tell them how stressed you are and offer to be open to suggestions, maybe someone wants to do something fun

With you

#7 avoid alcohol, unless you know how it affects you long term.

I think all the advise above is really good...Brian's, Seaboy, all.....maybe except I would suggest no drugs of any kind. Everything mentioned....., exercise, sleep, even dancing with kitty, etc, all good but these are OUR routines for relaxing and relieving stress. So Geminib , what have you done in the past that you've enjoyed and maybe got your mind off of work??? Sometimes even the most simple things help...watch a movie, take a nice long bath, close your eyes and let your mind wonder.

Personally, I find that Glennnn's 'LIST' works, really works!!!!!....., no matter how simple a task.... add to the list ......things that include work and everyday chores (do dishes, pay bills, put stuff away, whatever) and there is satisfaction in completing the smallest task. Break some of your work projects down to the smallest tasks, list them, then cross each one off when complete. It just feels good with each crossed off.

When I'm stressed i do some of the following: Take a nap, listen to calming music, have a dance party, either solo or grab Spanish Gentleman kitty and dance around being silly, treat myself to a naughty sweet treat and remember you can do this, you got this and it to shall pass.

Hugs,

Greg

I want to see a pic of you dancing with kitty, please. What a wonderful sight that would be. Can I assume you're naked in this dance? Hope so. ;)

Archived