How do you deal with stress?

geminibear
This topic is 3017 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

#7 is optional, it requires a trip to Colarodo, Oregon or Washington State. Medical marijuana. You'll be 100%!

I only have 1 word.

Eat.

Yegads. Smoke pot and eat. Just like so many of my patients. And then the insurance company wonders why this 350# person is on 15 meds, including 150 units a day of insulin.

http://img.medscape.com/thumbnail_library/am_150723_obesity_obese_overweight_couple_800x600.jpg

http://www.efectividad.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Binge-Eating-Disorder.jpg

http://www.noordinarydays.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Bad-Advice-and-Comfortless-One-Liners.jpg

http://lancecashion.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/bad-advice.jpg

http://quotes.lifehack.org/media/quotes/quote-Sophocles-no-enemy-is-worse-than-bad-advice-110016_6.png

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I went through something very similar last year. It was very important, the company was very focused on it, and the deadline was absolutely fixed. Failure was not an option. It was very long days and very high stress. This is what helped me get through it without eating up hours that I needed to spend getting the job done:

1. Constantly reminding myself that this was temporary and there was a light at the end of the tunnel.
  2. Recognizing that working the extra hours and long days was actually less stressful then trying to take more "me time" off. That little epiphany helped my attitude greatly.
  3. Sleep was critical. I took Ambien during this period. Maybe the good doctor [uSER=9945]@funguy[/uSER] could comment on this. I know that pills aren't the answer for everything, but it was important that I get five or six hours of good sleep. Ambien kept me down for that amount of time without waking up and doing the mental churn you are doing. There was no hangover and it really made a huge difference on how I felt physically.

#'s 1, 2 are absolutely necessary.

#3 - yes, sleep is critical. I am NOT a big fan of Ambien. If taken, I recommend only 5 mg and definitely NOT the Ambient CR - otherwise you will be raiding the fridge, driving around town, etc. unaware of doing such. If it works, take Advil PM - it has benedryl - I think 38 mg. Regular benedryl caps are 25 mg so 2 of the Advil PM usually works (or take 3 plain benedryl). If not, yeah, go for the occasional ambien.

I find hitting the gym and working out your frustrations there the perfect cure all if that's your thing. For me it is a form of relaxation so it always works perfectly. Also, just getting away from it all and listening to music always helps.

However, a good S&M session can work as well. Well usually does. However, A few years ago when under what has so far been the most stressful period in my life I went to the bondage club in NYC and had one of the head honchos there do some unspeakable things to me. It was really nothing that he had not done to me previously, but I freaked out. I guess the combination was too much for me to bear.

Fortunately, I'm over that now. Actually if I were in @Brian Kevin 's neck of the woods I would gladly drop my shorts and let him have his way with me until my butt had a healthy red glow. I would also invite @geminibear to watch and even participate in the fun. I think that would put all of us in quite a good mood!

All kidding aside, I had one of the most stressful jobs on the planet. I survived and made it to retirement. It was worth the ride. It's just that at times one needs to consider their own needs above and beyond work. However, for those of us who are not wired that way it is a difficult thing to consider doing. However, if you don't think of your health and well being first really no one else will do it for you. Plus, when a person is conscientious regarding their job what they consider putting them self first to entail is nothing in comparison to what the average person would consider doing.

There is a time when we all need to back off a bit, even bears and big guys! ;)

What about me!!!

One more thought. At times when we are over stressed and the world seems to be coming to an end one needs to put things in perspective. One needs to ask themselves how bad things really are and make a rational assessment of the situation and ask yourself what is the worst possible outcome. Most of the times it's really not that bad. Plus by looking at thing from a different angle it often gives one the ability to better deal with the situation. Still one must keep themselves healthy and balanced. Becoming a basket case never solves anything. It simply prevents you from functioning. At times backing off and backing away from a problem helps you ultimately tackle it in a fresh light with fresh ideas.

In any event, I as many others here have been there many times. I always made it through the storm, and I am sure many others have as well... as will you.

One final thought. Think about whom you will be hiring when all is said and done. I went on a rampage when the issues noted in my posting above were all resolved!

How do you deal with stress?

This is what actually works, literally in the long run. You'll burn off the catecholamines and sleep better, too. Sleeping pills if and only if the stress is of a defined, brief duration.

Man-jogging-in-park.-Imag-010.jpg

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/e3/e3c522381e4cad262001f325d5cfc329e9f5edb469ed0ff039f9123a23158c9f.jpg

1383cb20198ef473df3d3f0de3a4b2a7.jpg

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/5149640_f260.jpg

i7rQiGqtNyJ9yvhfDvkKHlm-fSW5PjLis_UF_xQ2axasiU7FpmSHDLhCT94ku-jHxQJbI4o2NbC70RSeypGWwmL4ERA=w426-h240-n

Yegads. Smoke pot and eat. Just like so many of my patients. And then the insurance company wonders why this 350# person is on 15 meds, including 150 units a day of insulin.

http://img.medscape.com/thumbnail_library/am_150723_obesity_obese_overweight_couple_800x600.jpg

http://www.efectividad.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Binge-Eating-Disorder.jpg

http://www.noordinarydays.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Bad-Advice-and-Comfortless-One-Liners.jpg

http://lancecashion.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/bad-advice.jpg

http://quotes.lifehack.org/media/quotes/quote-Sophocles-no-enemy-is-worse-than-bad-advice-110016_6.png

I'd happily continue the physc meds and 30 MG percoset for my pain after surgery. Even though it's been many years, i still can feel it on cold days, rainy days. Medical marijuana he done me wonders, got me off pain meds, anxiety meds, depression meds and a couple more were all stopped after i found out Providence,RI had medical marijuanna and since I don't miss a meal. I don't have to smoke every day or everyweek . I went from looking like a meth addict to looking extremely well fed, and it made my ass fat. Plus the wind won't n knocking me over again any time soon.

I agree though unicorn, weed and eating is not the only answer ! But it sure does help you feel better temporarily.

I'm closing, id like to thank you for pointing thisout so I could elaborate. We're all here for one reason, Gemini! I hope you can get your pts to cut down on the weight a d embrace life head on. After the fog of 1 tablet 3-5 x a day of 30mg perc, I was happy to be able to open my eyes again and embrace life. To stop just sitting and start embracing, learning a d thriving. I felt like Forest Gimp when he broke off his leg braces, you can only allow something to hold you back for so long. Then enough is enough, you have to keep more than just your head above water or you'll drownd.

One day at a time everyone.

this is the perfect time to share my favorite saying.

LONGEVITY EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!

MAY YOU LOVE LONG AND PROSPHER. We're here far to short to fall victim to ourselves, or others.

I'd happily continue the physc meds and 30 MG percoset for my pain after surgery. Even though it's been many years, i still can feel it on cold days, rainy days. Medical marijuana he done me wonders, got me off pain meds, anxiety meds, depression meds and a couple more were all stopped after i found out Providence,RI had medical marijuanna and since I don't miss a meal. I don't have to smoke every day or everyweek . I went from looking like a meth addict to looking extremely well fed, and it made my ass fat.

Be still my heart!!!!!

This is what actually works, literally in the long run. You'll burn off the catecholamines and sleep better, too. Sleeping pills if and only if the stress is of a defined, brief duration.

Man-jogging-in-park.-Imag-010.jpg

While you're not wrong about the effects of physical activity, you are wrong (and I bet you know you're wrong) to recommend running without qualification. For many people, it is too hard on the joints.

As for sleep aids, what is your treatment plan for people with long-term sleep problems unrelated to specific stressors? Too many are viewed as drug-abusers and seekers because what works for them isn't supposed to be taken long- term. A miserly approach like the one you seem to espouse consigns such people to sleeplessness, depression, anxiety, working at their jobs and living life under less than optimal conditions. (Not to speak of the effect it has on driving and reaction times.) That doesn't make any sense and is not only lacking in compassion but is (or at least should be) substandard medical practice.

Signed, someone fortunate enough to be able to take generic Ativan long-term without dependence (1/2 of .5 mg as a sleep aid, full .5 mg to bust muscle spasms, as I can't tolerate muscle relaxants) and to have a PCP willing to prescribe it that way. And even then I sometimes go through episodes like one I went through back in November where I didn't sleep for a period of close to 84 consecutive hours. The only other treatment that comes close to Ativan's effectiveness is Xanax. I have tried melatonin, Lunesta, Ambien and Valium; none of them work for me.

1. Money: no armored car ever followed a funeral procession. I know plenty of people with net worth greater than ten million who feel they are financial failures and constantly worry about money. Avoid those circles of people.

2. Power and prestige. The more you rise in the ranks, the greater the pressure. It sucks. But it's a privilege also.

3. Unhappiness. Life isn't all positivity and effervescence. The people around you aren't as happy as they are pretending to be.

All that being said, there are two things you can change to alleviate your stress: your external environment and your internal environment.

External environment: other posters have given good recommendations on how to change this. You need to create a physical space around you that is not going to exacerbate your stress. Anything you can do to create tranquility and serenity within your external environment is going to help you be a fitter, happier, more productive employee. Putting framed pictures of me on your office desk is a good first step for creating the optimal office work environment. You also need to try to surround yourself with people who will not stress you out. Avoid situations in which people are creating unnecessary anxiety.

Internal environment: It is crucial to have perspective on your stress-inducing problems, to understand the ultimate triviality of your problems in the larger scheme of the universe. While they are certainly important, in the grand scheme of things they really aren't that important.

In addition, with great power and prestige in the workplace comes great responsibility. Unfortunately stress is an almost inevitable inveterate byproduct of being six successful at work. You have to take a moment to appreciate all of the perks that your position of power and responsibility.

There are many things out of your control at work, but things are more in your control than you might think at first blush. You have the latitude to structure your life differently so as to reduce your stress in the workplace. It is difficult to do this when everyone around you has tunnel vision and is trying to race up the ladder and measures their self-worth by achievements and racing up the corporate hierarchy or receiving great performance evaluations. However, you might want to focus on long-term performance rather than short-term profit and project goals, even though this is antithetical to a corporate mentality. Ultimately, you are doing more good for your company if you can extend your work life at that company and not completely burn out. You don't want to end up leaving cynical and jaded or making extra nelly costly mistakes on behalf of the company. (Not sure what my voice to text was trying to say when I said nelly, but Gurl, I know you make nelly mistakes a lot!)

In the long run, your happiness is of the upmost importance and can be prioritized even without sacrificing company productivity.

If none of the above advice works, big bear hugs work wonders.

Oh and one more thing that should help--I miss you.

1. Money: no armored car ever followed a funeral procession. I know plenty of people with net worth greater than ten million who feel they are financial failures and constantly worry about money. Avoid those circles of people.

2. Power and prestige. The more you rise in the ranks, the greater the pressure. It sucks. But it's a privilege also.

3. Unhappiness. Life isn't all positivity and effervescence. The people around you aren't as happy as they are pretending to be.

All that being said, there are two things you can change to alleviate your stress: your external environment and your internal environment.

External environment: other posters have given good recommendations on how to change this. You need to create a physical space around you that is not going to exacerbate your stress. Anything you can do to create tranquility and serenity within your external environment is going to help you be a fitter, happier, more productive employee. Putting framed pictures of me on your office desk is a good first step for creating the optimal office work environment. You also need to try to surround yourself with people who will not stress you out. Avoid situations in which people are creating unnecessary anxiety.

Internal environment: It is crucial to have perspective on your stress-inducing problems, to understand the ultimate triviality of your problems in the larger scheme of the universe. While they are certainly important, in the grand scheme of things they really aren't that important.

In addition, with great power and prestige in the workplace comes great responsibility. Unfortunately stress is an almost inevitable inveterate byproduct of being six successful at work. You have to take a moment to appreciate all of the perks that your position of power and responsibility.

There are many things out of your control at work, but things are more in your control than you might think at first blush. You have the latitude to structure your life differently so as to reduce your stress in the workplace. It is difficult to do this when everyone around you has tunnel vision and is trying to race up the ladder and measures their self-worth by achievements and racing up the corporate hierarchy or receiving great performance evaluations. However, you might want to focus on long-term performance rather than short-term profit and project goals, even though this is antithetical to a corporate mentality. Ultimately, you are doing more good for your company if you can extend your work life at that company and not completely burn out. You don't want to end up leaving cynical and jaded or making extra nelly costly mistakes on behalf of the company. (Not sure what my voice to text was trying to say when I said nelly, but Gurl, I know you make nelly mistakes a lot!)

In the long run, your happiness is of the upmost importance and can be prioritized even without sacrificing company productivity.

If none of the above advice works, big bear hugs work wonders.

Oh and one more thing that should help--I miss you.

Damn, that's good! And should any the above fail (unthinkable!), think short-term, tug at it, and squirt (preferably while looking at Mike Gaite's framed grin).

While you're not wrong about the effects of physical activity, you are wrong (and I bet you know you're wrong) to recommend running without qualification. For many people, it is too hard on the joints.

As for sleep aids, what is your treatment plan for people with long-term sleep problems unrelated to specific stressors? Too many are viewed as drug-abusers and seekers because what works for them isn't supposed to be taken long- term. A miserly approach like the one you seem to espouse consigns such people to sleeplessness, depression, anxiety, working at their jobs and living life under less than optimal conditions. (Not to speak of the effect it has on driving and reaction times.) That doesn't make any sense and is not only lacking in compassion but is (or at least should be) substandard medical practice.

Signed, someone fortunate enough to be able to take generic Ativan long-term without dependence (1/2 of .5 mg as a sleep aid, full .5 mg to bust muscle spasms, as I can't tolerate muscle relaxants) and to have a PCP willing to prescribe it that way.

Of course, the lawyer will point out that my photo didn't come with those critical legal disclaimers: "Make sure your health care provider has determined that your heart is healthy enough for physical activity. This photo is intended to suggest healthful aerobic physical activity, and may vary according to each person's physical status..." . The point, which I think most people of average intelligence would understand (and I'm sure you understood), was that over time burning off the stress chemicals with physical activity will be more effective than chemical means. Patients with arthritis who exercise actually have less pain than those who are sedentary, by the way. Sitting around smoking pot and overeating will make knee arthritis worse. Swimming is a good alternative for those with excessive joint pains (many can also tolerate a stationary bicycle, cross-trainers, and so on).

On the subject of legal disclaimers, the prescribing information on Ativan specifically states "Lorazepam should be used for only a short time." http://www.drugs.com/lorazepam.html

Interesting that a lawyer would state that a physician who follows the prescribing guidelines "is ...substandard medical practice." Not that one always has to follow guidelines, mind you. That being said, if you have to use lorazepam all of the time, and have problems if you don't, then you have drug dependence, by definition. That doesn't mean you're an addict, but it does mean there's dependence. Drug dependence isn't necessarily bad at all. Diabetics may be dependent on insulin, for example. You might want to try swimming, though. Healthful physical activity, an active sex life, and virtuous living: that should help you sleep better.

http://www.olympiaresort.com/files/9813/9088/5051/indoor-pool-olympia-resort-oconomowoc.jpg

http://justjenn.me/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/woman_eight_hours_sleep_happy_3.jpg

Archived