Sunday Morning Rituals?

Truereview
This topic is 3034 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have Sunday morning ritual other than coffee, feeding the dogs, and news. If it's fall it's football and tailgating. If summer it's getting out of town to the mountains with the dogs. Just depends on what's going on. In the near future I will be a workaholic with two major projects in the works, so my Sundays will be at the office. :(

I am now and always have been a loner so I admit this reluctance but I am a bit envious of those of you who have some sort of friends brunch. When my best buddy lived here he occasionally included me in one of these "boozy brunches" with some of his pals, it was generally fun, usually awkward for me, and occasionally quite fortuitous for a hook up with a buzzed but cute cub and/or otter or two. ;)

But my social awkwardness seems to dictate my morning routine and I find it much easier to spend time with the dogs by myself.

Sunday used to be a workday but in the last year or so I have had Sundays off. I usually sleep in until the dogs wake me up by jumping around and barking at some idiot walking his dog at 6 AM on Sunday morning. For G-d's sake (nod to MG) it is fucking Sunday morning, take your dog to bed day. Anyway, they run out and pee. I join them. Usually after I have peed but sometimes we all go together. Then it is back to bed. Snuggle with the four legged lovers and nap for several hours. Then a good yank on the man chain and off to shower. Saturday and Sunday NYTime crossword puzzle and then lunch, usually at home. Dog park.

Sunday is my "there are no calories in any food you eat on Sunday" day, so there is pasta and cake and bagels and pancakes and anything else I can think of that I do not eat all week long. Then football on the tube or baseball depending on the season. The Good Wife, Madam Secretary, Game of Thrones or other TV entertainment. Early to bed for the drudgery that is Monday.

Sunday used to be a workday but in the last year or so I have had Sundays off. I usually sleep in until the dogs wake me up by jumping around and barking at some idiot walking his dog at 6 AM on Sunday morning. For G-d's sake (nod to MG) it is fucking Sunday morning, take your dog to bed day. Anyway, they run out and pee. I join them. Usually after I have peed but sometimes we all go together. Then it is back to bed. Snuggle with the four legged lovers and nap for several hours. Then a good yank on the man chain and off to shower. Saturday and Sunday NYTime crossword puzzle and then lunch, usually at home. Dog park.

Sunday is my "there are no calories in any food you eat on Sunday" day, so there is pasta and cake and bagels and pancakes and anything else I can think of that I do not eat all week long. Then football on the tube or baseball depending on the season. The Good Wife, Madam Secretary, Game of Thrones or other TV entertainment. Early to bed for the drudgery that is Monday.

This all sounds strangely familiar. I'm starting to wonder about our similar Sicilian roots. Just what village was that?

Added: except for that crossword puzzle thing. :eek:

'round these here parts, "extremely highend" and "Mexican" are mutually exclusive terms......I need to hear more about this hifalutin' joint!!

If you ever come to Austin you have to try this place. The ceviche is the best I've ever had outside of a Mexican coastal town. Any shrimp dish uses the huge ones. High quality chicken, pork and beef in all the dishes. It's carnivore heaven.

Fonda San Miguel. 2330 W. North Loop Blvd. 512-459-4121, fondasanmiguel.com+

Austin’s original expansive temple to the flavors of Mexico.

Brunch hours: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday

Highlights: Sprawling buffet includes black drum ceviche, cochinita pibil, chicken mole poblano, chicken mole verde, jicama fruit salad, beans and rice, housemade tortillas, arroz con leche, bread pudding, almond flan

Guest countryboywny
Wake up, open all the drapes, panic for a moment, make a quick assessment of where everything is. Wallet check, money in wallet check, cell phone check, car keys check, car is one piece check...Whew all good. Feed the hound, walk the hound, make coffee. Reflect on Saturday night. Vow to never go out again...great, that's settled, time for a walk on the beach and to mentally reflect for an hour or so, realize life is good, then home for a nap.

Funny, BVB.. but very true! LOL :eek::)

I wanna go out with you on a Saturday night!

An endeavor that I would highly recommend!

Clocker! My heart aches for you! My babies had a similar issue early this year - vomiting tho. It was like a chain reaction...one would start and the others would follow...I would run after them cleaning up while holding my nose to avoid my throwing up myself. Not the kind of Sunday "ritual" I would wish on anyone! :(

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-tOObsorg97M/T4zUSBjZUcI/AAAAAAAAAQ0/bibx4Qo0myM/s1600/cartoon+kid+chasing+dog.jpg

It's just as much fun with cats. When we had three kittens and their teen-equivalent mom (mom's the one who lives with me now), the speediest of the kittens contracted a bad case of diarrhea. (Fortunately, none of the other cats caught it.) She ran all over the place while squirting poop. That's when I learned projectile diarrhea was a thing.

It took awhile to control, even with medication. We theorized that it originated from her habit of drinking from the toilet, so we had to keep the toilet lids closed. She hasn't had any relapses, although between the four cats (or even just the one who lives with me), I've seen yards' worth of cat puke.

As far as Mexican food is concerned I'm with azdr0710. I was born and raised in Southern California and grew up eating home cooked Mexican food. Mrs. Garcia, our next door neighbor, was like my abuelita and I ate at her home nearly every day. Nowadays if I want good Mexican food I look for a hole in the wall restaurant in a local immigrant neighborhood. Whenever I go into a high priced, trendy "Mexican" restaurant I usually take a long look at the menu and then head for the exit. Most of these restaurants have "chefs" in the kitchen who attempt to make a name for themselves by combining a multitude of different cuisines with an overlay of Mexicanismo. No thank you. When it comes to Mexican food I want a cook in the kitchen NOT a chef.

As far as Mexican food is concerned I'm with azdr0710. I was born and raised in Southern California and grew up eating home cooked Mexican food. Mrs. Garcia, our next door neighbor, was like my abuelita and I ate at her home nearly every day. Nowadays if I want good Mexican food I look for a hole in the wall restaurant in a local immigrant neighborhood. Whenever I go into a high priced, trendy "Mexican" restaurant I usually take a long look at the menu and then head for the exit. Most of these restaurants have "chefs" in the kitchen who attempt to make a name for themselves by combining a multitude of different cuisines with an overlay of Mexicanismo. No thank you. When it comes to Mexican food I want a cook in the kitchen NOT a chef.

Yo tambien. (Me too for those of you that think "On the Border" is Mexican food) :eek:

Now there is a border that needs a wall built. :p

My Sundays of late have been spent sleeping in. I'd wake up at 11AM, try and cook for myself lunch, watch an hour or two of TV, and fall asleep again until dinner. By the time I have the proper constitution to do anything, it's already 9PM, and I have to get to bed at 11PM.

Before work started becoming overbearing, my Sundays are very different. I spend an extraordinary amount of time in the kitchen. I cook a full breakfast, lunch, and usually a long-simmering dinner (I've made Boeuf Bourguignon so much that I think I can do it with both eyes closed). Like Truereview, I also try to catch the sun as it rises whenever I can—Manhattan is at its most gorgeous then, I think. I work out at some point too, either at the gym or with the equipment I have at home. I read the Times at a leisurely pace and take long baths.

I almost never open my computer (nor check my iPhone as often as I do any other day) on Sundays.

My Sundays of late have been spent sleeping in. I'd wake up at 11AM, try and cook for myself lunch, watch an hour or two of TV, and fall asleep again until dinner. By the time I have the proper constitution to do anything, it's already 9PM, and I have to get to bed at 11PM.

LOL

Before work started becoming overbearing, my Sundays are very different. I spend an extraordinary amount of time in the kitchen. I cook a full breakfast, lunch, and usually a long-simmering dinner (I've made Boeuf Bourguignon so much that I think I can do it with both eyes closed). Like Truereview, I also try to catch the sun as it rises whenever I can—Manhattan is at its most gorgeous then, I think. I work out at some point too, either at the gym or with the equipment I have at home. I read the Times at a leisurely pace and take long baths.

I almost never open my computer (nor check my iPhone as often as I do any other day) on Sundays.

I don't know what you do for work, but this doesn't sound healthy.

For anyone that doesn't have an Amazon Echo, it's awesome and you should consider getting one! My ritual every day is listening to the news and weather from Alexa while getting ready.

I'm freaking loving my Echos. I've used Wemo and IFTTT to control my living room lights by voice and also to start my morning coffee when I wake up and give the command. I also used an IFTTT recipe to add things to my to do list and then email a copy to work. It's great for when you're about to drift off and remember something that you really need to do the next day at work. A couple of voice commands and there is a reminder waiting in your email when you login. I just ordered a Nest thermostat so that I can control my HVAC. I can't wait to be able to say "Alexa raise the temperature 5 degrees" before I get out of bed. :)

I'm freaking loving my Echos. I've used Wemo and IFTTT to control my living room lights by voice and also to start my morning coffee when I wake up and give the command. I also used an IFTTT recipe to add things to my to do list and then email a copy to work. It's great for when you're about to drift off and remember something that you really need to do the next day at work. A couple of voice commands and there is a reminder waiting in your email when you login. I just ordered a Nest thermostat so that I can control my HVAC. I can't wait to be able to say "Alexa raise the temperature 5 degrees" before I get out of bed. :)

Using IFTTT and Echo to add to-dos is probably my favorite feature since there are so many times where I think of something I need to do but don't have a chance to write it down, especially before I go to sleep or right after I wake up and don't feel like getting out of bed!

Wake up at 6:30 or so. Take a whiz and peek outside to see what the weather is like. Crawl back into bed a kindly request the dog to sleep awhile longer. Dog eventually starts to wiggle so up we get for a nice long walk/run/play. Home to start the coffee before showering and trying to make myself look like a human being. Coffee with the NYTimes. Decide what to make for dinner (Sunday is "cook a big meal to have leftovers" day) and head to the store to do shopping. If in the mood, see if any friends want to come over. By now it's noon.

A little nosh, and prep stuff for dinner. Settle down on the couch with the NYTimes crossword (only paper version, and only in ink) and promptly fall asleep for a hour or so.

Afternoon walk for the dog, and then clean house if friends are coming. Begin dinner.

Eat and then when friends leave crash on the couch with trash TV, while finishing off the puzzle if not done earlier.

Out with the dog and then off to bed.

Plan B:

Morning as above, then meet a friend for lunch and an afternoon of wild monkey sex.

Archived