Davey Wavey On Ageism-He Made Me Love Him...

Gar1eth
This topic is 3032 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The fact is most twenty somethings don't really give a rip about respecting their elders. I sure as hell didn't. Hey I knew everything I needed to know in life. I'm sorry but the only thing that will change that is age. Of coarse the 80's were different where people were forced to come together and look out for each other.

Amen! Always has been and always will be. I honestly don't think the young ones disrespect the senior gays as much as they are bewildered by their presence in bars that cater to young guys.

They definitely get an "As if!" attitude if they think you are cruising them. I clearly remember being in my 20's and thinking similar thoughts. What goes around comes around. Now I'm that guy! :)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My jaded side smells a contrived attempt from Davey to just increase vid traffic & likability with an older audience. My biz side says: Davey, mission accomplished, we are talking about ya. My critical side doesn't like that he is lumping all older men in gay clubs as having "paved the way" - a lot of these older men just stood on the sidelines while a few heroic gay & straight men & women fought for the rights we enjoy presently. My good-natured side does enjoy the message of respect. My heart says: What do we (forum) do now to support the attitude change we seek?

I'm gonna go do something about it and go bed an elder! ;)

Good call! ;)

I think that hanging out at gay bars before 1970 was an act of courage. After all, there was always a chance that it would get raided and the customers arrested. And watching law-abiding men being led out of a bar en masse must have generated sympathy in some straight people.

Also, many gay men, lesbians, and even straight people were dragged into the movement when they or their loved ones contracted AIDS.

Good call! ;)

I think that hanging out at gay bars before 1970 was an act of courage. After all, there was always a chance that it would get raided and the customers arrested. And watching law-abiding men being led out of a bar en masse must have generated sympathy in some straight people.

Also, many gay men, lesbians, and even straight people were dragged into the movement when they or their loved ones contracted AIDS.

The stonewall days and definitely the 80's were probably the one and only time you would see a coming together of the generations.

Amen! Always has been and always will be. I honestly don't think the young ones disrespect the senior gays as much as they are bewildered by their presence in bars that cater to young guys.

They definitely get an "As if!" attitude if they think you are cruising them. I clearly remember being in my 20's and thinking similar thoughts. What goes around comes around. Now I'm that guy! :)

Every blue moon I go out to a popular night club in Weho. I look at all the twenty somethings and I think to myself. Was I ever that stupid. Oh honey. Yes you were..... and then some. It's like a freaking time machine. Some things will just never change. Circle of life and all.

The fact is most twenty somethings don't really give a rip about respecting their elders. That's not something you can teach. It's a rebellious stage and older people represent authority. I know I sure as hell didn't. I knew everything I needed to know in life. I'm sorry but the only thing that will change that kind of stupidity for most is age.

Except when I was growing up most of the kids I knew my age DID respect their elders and we all at least had some common body of knowledge. That doesn't exist today.

I had 5 young men at my house for the holidays. As the sun started to set, we talked about what to do after dinner besides watch a movie and go into the hot tub. I suggested going down to the river (4 of the 5 said no, they didn't swim), I suggested playing cards (none of the the 5 knew how to play any card games, I suggested playing pool or billiards (only 1 of the 5 knew how) ... and on and on it went. This group of 20 somethings doesn't seem to know how to do basic social things that people that age of my generation, the generation before that, and so on ALL knew how to do.

If it doesn't involved their smartphone or their Ipad, they seem clueless. I collected the phones and IPads at the beginning of the weekend so that they wouldn't all be sitting in a group int he den on their phones.

It's really pathetic and it really is knew. Prior younger generations didn't behave this way.

I completely disagree. And Im talking about all types of young people, not just young gay men (who, admittedly are the WORST). Prior generations were not this bad. Not by a long shot. But we didn't have smart phones so that may be the difference. We also mostly had parents/guardians who were present and not absent leaving kids to not learn how to interact with older people.

As I said, PATHETIC!

My jaded side smells a contrived attempt from Davey to just increase vid traffic & likability with an older audience. My biz side says: Davey, mission accomplished, we are talking about ya. My critical side doesn't like that he is lumping all older men in gay clubs as having "paved the way" - a lot of these older men just stood on the sidelines while a few heroic gay & straight men & women fought for the rights we enjoy presently. My good-natured side does enjoy the message of respect. My heart says: What do we (forum) do now to support the attitude change we seek?

I had a similar reaction. It certainly isn't true that everyone (in any era) is an activist. Some people today are still closeted. It's difficult to accept the notion that someone "paved the way" when their lives were spent hiding. That being said, SOME middle aged and older gay men certainly "paved the way" so far that I appreciate Davey reminding his audience about that.

The other reaction I had is that Davey seemed to avoid pointing out the obvious that's already been mentioned by some others in this thread: One reason for younger men to not disrespect older men is that, unless they die prematurely, those younger men will one day be the older men. I'm not suggesting that all young gay men should be interested sexually in older men, but there's no reason to have an "ick" reaction just because someone older is interested as long as the older person isn't being obnoxious in his expression of that interest. In other words, looking at, smiling at, attempting to make small talk -- all okay. Repeated sexual advances even after being told "no" -- not okay.

I'm among those who found Davey amusing when I first became aware of him but haven't watched his videos regularly for quite some time because his topics are just generally not interesting to me.

Except when I was growing up most of the kids I knew my age DID respect their elders and we all at least had some common body of knowledge. That doesn't exist today.

I had 5 young men at my house for the holidays. As the sun started to set, we talked about what to do after dinner besides watch a movie and go into the hot tub. I suggested going down to the river (4 of the 5 said no, they didn't swim), I suggested playing cards (none of the the 5 knew how to play any card games, I suggested playing pool or billiards (only 1 of the 5 knew how) ... and on and on it went. This group of 20 somethings doesn't seem to know how to do basic social things that people that age of my generation, the generation before that, and so on ALL knew how to do.

If it doesn't involved their smartphone or their Ipad, they seem clueless. I collected the phones and IPads at the beginning of the weekend so that they wouldn't all be sitting in a group int he den on their phones.

It's really pathetic and it really is knew. Prior younger generations didn't behave this way.

They didn't know how to swim-and they are from

Austin or the rest of Texas? I always thought it was stupid, but Rice University had some type of swimming/survival test you used to have pass sometime before graduation.

Gman

I don't find Davey Wavey annoying but I found his newer vids trite and stopped watching.

Me too, I'd go back from time to time but not see any reason to visit regularly. Clearly if he posts something worthwhile someone will post a link here for us! Like Maninsoma (#32), Davey's posts no longer generally interest me, but wind back a couple of years and his messages to his (younger) target audience answered questions that to some extent I was still asking.

Yup. His lumping everyone together show's a lack of understanding and respect for the actual ones that did make a difference.

I agree that not all older men were activists, but that's a distinction that those of us who were there make. Much as we might like young men to make the same distinction we're kidding ourselves if we actually expect them to do so. I think Davey's message that these older men represent the generation that 'enabled you to walk down the street wearing your pink fucking tank top, holding you boyfriend's hand,' is just fine. To complain that Davey didn't acknowledge that some old guys didn't help at all is to reject the good in pursuit of the perfect.

Would Davey's message have been better if it said that young guys should respect their elders because, although some of them were safely in the closet hoping that no-one recongnised that they were gay, a lot of them were out there putting themselves at risk to secure the rights you now enjoy?

I did on Friday. He was almost 10 years older than me. But does it count since I'm elder-ish too?

Technically, the call-to-action came today, so I say you do each other again! ;)

It was a nice experience although nothing spectacular. I'm not sure whether we are compatible enough for another go around. o_O

But there is a good chance I'm meeting with a guy 5 years older than I am this week-more accurately 4 years, 11 months, and 24 days older give or take a few days. :rolleyes:

Mijo that's a lot of layers you got there.

My critical side doesn't like that he is lumping all older men in gay clubs as having "paved the way" - a lot of these older men just stood on the sidelines while a few heroic gay & straight men & women fought for the rights we enjoy presently.

As someone who was on the sidelines too long, I think Davey's message does apply to the entire group of older gay men. While we didn't all "pave the way," we definitely had a different life experience than the current generation. Yeah, he took some poetic license in including me in the same group as the activists that made change happen, I felt he was really honoring those that had the strength to lead the charge.

I had a 62 year old friend tell me that at Chicago Pride last year a young man he didn't know came up to him and asked to hug him saying "I just want to thank you for all you guys did to make my life the way it is today". Not all younger guys are clueless.

I had a 62 year old friend tell me that at Chicago Pride last year a young man he didn't know came up to him and asked to hug him saying "I just want to thank you for all you guys did to make my life the way it is today". Not all younger guys are clueless.

I have a 26-year-old friend who is also well aware of how he benefits from the struggles of previous generations, but he is a serious young guy, not one of the vapid ( pink-tank-top-wearing ) youths that Davey is talking about. He asks me questions about "those days" and I have to remind him that I'm not that old and it pre-date me also!

It's nice to know there's 1. What about the other 99.9% who are mostly clueless?

Archived