Davey Wavey On Ageism-He Made Me Love Him...

Gar1eth
This topic is 3044 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, Gman, I wish I saw your post before the other one I replied to! Nonetheless, I agree with you and it is worth a second watch. Thank you for posting.

What other post? Did I accidentally post something someone else did first?:(

Gman

I think I'm safe. It looks as if I posted this before LIGuy.

Gman

I think I'm safe. It looks as if I posted this before LIGuy.

Gman

LOL. Yes, you are "safe." I was reading from the top down and saw your post after I saw the other one. Nonetheless, if two posts about DW's vid make more people aware of it then that's just great!

I feel the same way about drag queens. Even though I'm not much of a fan I totally respect the culture and what it all meant and the risk those performers had to take in order to bring joy to their audience.

I love good drag and give props to them all whether they be average or amazing!

Now Davey Wavey...meh?! So much of what he does is trite that it's hard to switch gears and take him seriously. The good thing is that I think the majority of his fan base is quite young, so it might make a few of them stop and think.

I love good drag and give props to them all whether they be average or amazing!

Now Davey Wavey...meh?! So much of what he does is trite that it's hard to switch gears and take him seriously. The good thing is that I think the majority of his fan base is quite young, so it might make a few of them stop and think.

I liked DW when he first started out but as time went on he did too many vids that didn't interest me. Now this one is a worthy effort and I may start to watch him again. He certainly got animated on this one which was good to see.

His message is a stark reminder that is applicable across-the-board: elders, minorities, females, physically impaired, emotionally endangered, and others.

Emotionally endangered? Never heard that one before. Dare I ask what the heck that means?

I've always enjoyed Davey-Wavey. He's good for a quick laugh but sometimes he also makes good points.

Emotionally endangered? Never heard that one before. Dare I ask what the heck that means?

If you have to ask...:rolleyes:

But, seriously, I'm referring to individuals who are confronted with a range of extraordinarily stressful circumstances from feeling overwhelmed by responsibilities to depression so great that they consider taking their own lives (or the lives of others).

My jaded side smells a contrived attempt from Davey to just increase vid traffic & likability with an older audience. My biz side says: Davey, mission accomplished, we are talking about ya. My critical side doesn't like that he is lumping all older men in gay clubs as having "paved the way" - a lot of these older men just stood on the sidelines while a few heroic gay & straight men & women fought for the rights we enjoy presently. My good-natured side does enjoy the message of respect. My heart says: What do we (forum) do now to support the attitude change we seek?

I'm gonna go do something about it and go bed an elder! ;)

If you have to ask...:rolleyes:

But, seriously, I'm referring to individuals who are confronted with a range of extraordinarily stressful circumstances from feeling overwhelmed by responsibilities to depression so great that they consider taking their own lives (or the lives of others).

Oh, thanks for the explanation. I just never heard the phrase before (but I think there are lots of new phrases I've never heard before). Like a young black man recently said to me "I'm not on BS." I looked at him, like, "wtf are you talking about?" I though "BS" was some new kind of cigarette or drug. When he explained what he meant I said "why not just say "I'm not full of shit" it makes more sense?

Cool. I'll be waiting for him to add older guys into his videos now. That would really show some respect.

He's probably afraid he'd get less views. I recently had a young man say to me "I hope you're not one of those old school guys who thinks that everyone in their 20s doesn't know what they're talking about." I responded by saying "I hope you're not of those 20-somethings who thinks they know it all and that anyone over 30 has nothing to contribute."

I think I was very lucky that from a young age I was surrounded by people who were older (my parents died when I was quite young) and so I never developed that attitude that most young people do about "old school" and all that bias against older people. What's that old story about the 20 year old who thinks he's parents are so dumb and then when he turns 30 says to his parents "when did you guys get so smart?"

I'm not sure what it is that makes these 23 year olds think they know everything. I recently had a young man at my house and there was a painting on the wall and he said "what's that?" I said that's a Picasso and replied "never heard of that." I made some look and he got all hissy and named some rave band and said "I bet you never heard about that." I said it really isn't remotely the same thing. We're talking general knowledge, blah, etc. but it was pointless. He didn't see it at all.

Heck I haven't been in my 20s since Carter was president and I know I'm still learning.

Oh, thanks for the explanation. I just never heard the phrase before (but I think there are lots of new phrases I've never heard before). Like a young black man recently said to me "I'm not on BS." I looked at him, like, "wtf are you talking about?" I though "BS" was some new kind of cigarette or drug. When he explained what he meant I said "why not just say "I'm not full of shit" it makes more sense?

I agree. It's not what is said but how it is said (and who says it).

I think I was very lucky that from a young age I was surrounded by people who were older (my parents died when I was quite young) and so I never developed that attitude that most young people do about "old school" and all that bias against older people. What's that old story about the 20 year old who thinks he's parents are so dumb and then when he turns 30 says to his parents "when did you guys get so smart?"

I'm not sure what it is that makes these 23 year olds think they know everything. I recently had a young man at my house and there was a painting on the wall and he said "what's that?" I said that's a Picasso and replied "never heard of that." I made some look and he got all hissy and named some rave band and said "I bet you never heard about that." I said it really isn't remotely the same thing. We're talking general knowledge, blah, etc. but it was pointless. He didn't see it at all.

Heck I haven't been in my 20s since Carter was president and I know I'm still learning.

Your words caused me to recollect some words I heard a long time ago: "the older we get the smarter our parents become."

My jaded side smells a contrived attempt from Davey to just increase vid traffic & likability with an older audience. My biz side says: Davey, mission accomplished, we are talking about ya. My critical side doesn't like that he is lumping all older men in gay clubs as having "paved the way" - a lot of these older men just stood on the sidelines while a few heroic gay & straight men & women fought for the rights we enjoy presently. My good-natured side does enjoy the message of respect. My heart says: What do we (forum) do now to support the attitude change we seek?

I'm gonna go do something about it and go bed an elder! ;)

Yup. His lumping everyone together show's a lack of understanding and respect for the actual ones that did make a difference. Allot stayed in the safety of the closet or just didn't care. Not everyone was marching in Act-Up and fighting with society for a better world. Now if he spent any time at all with older guys and not just constantly surround himself with hairless twinks he might know this.

He's probably afraid he'd get less views. I recently had a young man say to me "I hope you're not one of those old school guys who thinks that everyone in their 20s doesn't know what they're talking about." I responded by saying "I hope you're not of those 20-somethings who thinks they know it all and that anyone over 30 has nothing to contribute."

The fact is most twenty somethings don't really give a rip about respecting their elders. That's not something you can teach. It's a rebellious stage and older people represent authority. I know I sure as hell didn't. I knew everything I needed to know in life. I'm sorry but the only thing that will change that kind of stupidity for most is age.

Archived