'Rescue Me'? Screw you!

glutes
This topic is 6106 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I stumbled on the the new F/X show portraying FDNY's "heros" in action last night, holy smokes - this should be a reality check for our HooVillians living in the Big Apple. There was ample use of the F-word (not 'fuck', nor 'Fox'), I mean 'FAG'. There was even a gay bashing scene by a Chief in a gay bar, kicking the crap another firefighter for his being 'open'. All this was interlaced with drinking, smoking and lots of other rough talk about gays & women. (No talk of blacks or jews, maybe that's for fall sweep weeks) Think I'd be hesitant to call FDNY for help.

At least SFFD has pink hoses!

'Rescue Me'? It may turn out great, but not that funny...

I think they had to start there to show change/growth. You saw the awkward scene at the end where a date is setup?

I think it shows a lot of potential, but the constant hallucinations and the direction its going (for a *comedy*) don't make me all that enthusiastic to see more. But not because I have any problem with its portrayal of the attitude towards gays in a firehouse by *some* firefighters though.

Is homosexuality going to be a pivotal plot point in any new F/X show from here on out? (Shield went pretty damn deep in as well...).

RE: 'Rescue Me'? It may turn out great, but not that funny...

>Is homosexuality going to be a pivotal plot point in any new

>F/X show from here on out? (Shield went pretty damn deep in

>as well...).

Yes, if it helps Ruperts profits, and the Republican cause.

My problem is two fold:

-I believe they are all a bunch of homophobes & homohaters at the FDNY. And you're to call them for help??

-F/X is a part of FOX, how convienent they get away with using the term 'fag' throughout the show. Would they use the 'N' word for African Americans, or the 'K' word for jewish people?

Janet Jackson flashes her diamond crusted titty on TV, CBS gets a fine.

>No shit. My dads a fire fighter, I grew up around fire

>houses, and trust me, they are all a bunch of red neck

>assholes. Heros my ass, more like a bunch of slackers that

>couldn't find a decent job, but didnt want to work at the

>DMV.

I know quite a few firefighters and they are not all as bad as you say. I think it is unfair to generalize an entire group of people because of a handfull that you are aquainted with. I believe we should all be thankfull when the firefighters are being as you said, "a bunch of slackers." To me that means that nobody is dying, or their house isn't burning. I think we should be appreciative of all firefighters and look past the flaws of a few and not judge 2,000,000 people because of the few that you know.

>>No shit. My dads a fire fighter, I grew up around fire

>>houses, and trust me, they are all a bunch of red neck

>>assholes. Heros my ass, more like a bunch of slackers that

>>couldn't find a decent job, but didnt want to work at the

>>DMV.

>

>I know quite a few firefighters and they are not all as bad as

>you say. I think it is unfair to generalize an entire group

>of people because of a handfull that you are aquainted with.

>I believe we should all be thankfull when the firefighters are

>being as you said, "a bunch of slackers." To me that means

>that nobody is dying, or their house isn't burning. I think

>we should be appreciative of all firefighters and look past

>the flaws of a few and not judge 2,000,000 people because of

>the few that you know.

Trust me, if they know you are gay, you might be real interested to hear how they talk when you are not around. True, not all of them are homophobes, but they are not a bunch of angels either. Even the guys that you consider friends will shoot the shit on down time, and you wouldn't like what being said.

That is, in fact the point of this show that Leary is doing. These are just a bunch of blue collar guys. They work 24 on, 48 off. They sit around some days, and work their asses off on others. BUT, they are not, to me anyway, worthy of hero worship. I know of what I speak here, and my opinion is my own.

Guest gman2115

Well, I for one work for the DMV (California) and not everyone here are slackers, only the ones that work in the cushy offices in HQ. }( They don't know what us grunts have to deal with day by day in the field offices and in the telephone service centers (my workplace). It amazes me how people with BMWs, Jaguars, Hummers, Porsches, etc. bitch about their annual registration fees when their car payments are paid monthly, and usually double the amount too. ;-)

>No shit. My dads a fire fighter, I grew up around fire

>houses, and trust me, they are all a bunch of red neck

>assholes. Heros my ass, more like a bunch of slackers that

>couldn't find a decent job, but didnt want to work at the

>DMV.

• 3 years later...

SFFD, 'Rescue Me'?

- - -

The San Francisco Fire Department is investigating a tailgate party involving about 30 off-duty firefighters outside a soup kitchen run by nuns with Mother Teresa's order - and the rumor that a booze-fueled firefighter may have groped a female kitchen volunteer, then dropped his pants in front of a second volunteer in a bathroom.

According to those familiar with the investigation, it all began when the off-duty firefighters were holding a barbeque at the old fire station just down Third Street from AT&T Park after attending a Giants day game Aug. 29.

The brick building is the home of both the firefighter union's Toys for Tots program and a soup kitchen run by Mother Teresa's Missionaries of Charity.

Reportedly there was a tussle, either between two firefighters or between the firefighters and some of the homeless who eat at the soup kitchen, or both.

There are disturbing reports of what happened next. The Fire Department is investigating whether one of the firefighters, who appeared to be intoxicated, came into the old station's kitchen and groped one of the volunteers from behind.

The department is also investigating whether another female volunteer was confronted in the bathroom a short time later by the same drunken firefighter with his pants around his ankles.

The top nun at the local Missionaries of Charity, Sister Zavetia, said she hadn't been at the soup kitchen at the time and didn't want to talk about the incident. She did say that the order had made a call to 911 asking for police assistance, and believed that officers had been sent to check out the scene, but by then the party had broken up.

Sister Zavetia said the volunteers didn't want to press charges. The head nun, however, made it clear that she would be willing to talk with the fire chief herself.

The nuns also said they had contacted firefighters union President John Hanley, based on the mistaken impression that he was the chief.

Hanley, in Boston to attend two firefighter funerals, told us Tuesday that he had urged Sister Zavetia twice to call the police because "this is a police matter."

"That said, let's wait until all the facts are in and we have a thorough investigation before we pass judgment on San Francisco's firefighters," Hanley said, adding, "This does not sound like any of the men and women I've worked with."

Chief Joanne Hayes-White, who first heard of the incident from us, sent an investigator to talk with the nuns.

"The allegations seem to be very serious," the chief said afterward. "If any of the allegations are true, there would be no tolerance. I'm making this a top priority."

RE: SFFD, 'Rescue Me'?

To change the focus of this just a bit. I have had my home burn down. Not a pleasant experience. Many years of things, my things, destroyed; but, not by fire but by the firemen's actions. The water destroyed much, much more than the fire did.

House fires do not do what many think they do and that is burn from the bottom up but they burn from the top down. You see on TV someone starting a fire on some drapes or whatnot and the house goes up. Don't bet on it.

It goes to the roof and then from there down. The firemen rush to the site and save all your belongings. Don't count on it. They come to put the fire out so it won't spread to the neighborhood. They do whatever is necessary to contain the fire to your house. That might mean destroying all your possessions and much more damage.

I respect them for doing a necessary job but they will not likely do any thing that is personally rewarding.

You may carry this out to any scale you wish.

I have other advice for any who might suffer a house fire but will stop here.

Best regards,

KMEM

>>

>It goes to the roof and then from there down. The firemen

>rush to the site and save all your belongings. Don't count on

>it. They come to put the fire out so it won't spread to the

>neighborhood. They do whatever is necessary to contain the

>fire to your house. That might mean destroying all your

>possessions and much more damage.

>

>I respect them for doing a necessary job but they will not

>likely do any thing that is personally rewarding.

>

>If I lived next door and your chach-kis got destroyed by water damage and my house didn't burn, I think I might have a different view of the efforts of the fire department. I might find that they did do something which was rewarding. Fortunately, the only fires I have had in my home, I was able to put out myself. And even there, there was more damage done by me putting it out than there was by the fire. The bigger picture is, left on its own, I would have had no home instead of some ruined prints and water logged carpets.

Of course, you would feel differently. My house was destroyed, including all my saved possessions, and yours was prevented from burning. That is like what is the difference between recession and depression. Recession is when my neighbor is layed off; depression is when I am layed off.

I admit the value of saving the town, the neighborhood, etc. What I am trying to focus on is what happens to the individual who loses every thing he ever owned and valued. Who cares about him or helps him?

Not the fire department; they did their job and prevented the fire from spreading. Not the local politicians. After all, the fire department did their job.

All I am trying to say is there is a personal aspect to what happens in these circumstances and it is not covered by the fire department, the local government, the federal government or your insurance company. This is a private matter and must be dealt with privately.

You know your own loss and are appreciative of any of those who are able to relate to your (permanent) loss.

Best regards,

KMEM

Guest ReturnOfS

>>Is homosexuality going to be a pivotal plot point in any

>new

>>F/X show from here on out? (Shield went pretty damn deep in

>>as well...).

>Yes, if it helps Ruperts profits, and the Republican cause.

>

>My problem is two fold:

>

> -I believe they are all a bunch of homophobes &

>homohaters at the FDNY. And you're to call them for help??

>

> -F/X is a part of FOX, how convienent they get away with

>using the term 'fag' throughout the show. Would they use the

>'N' word for African Americans, or the 'K' word for jewish

>people?

>

>Janet Jackson flashes her diamond crusted titty on TV, CBS

>gets a fine.

>

>

Believe it or not, I honestly don't know what the 'K' word is, but I think that ignorance is bliss in this situation.

, or the 'K' word for jewish

>>people?

>>

>>

>

>Believe it or not, I honestly don't know what the 'K' word is,

>but I think that ignorance is bliss in this situation.

i believe the word in question is a member of the family of words that includes: bike; like; dike; hike; but strangely not nike.

I appreciate what you are saying. I watched a condo burn down two years ago and I was appalled at how the firemen handled the situation. It took ages before they dealt with a fire that started on the roof and by the time they had turned on the hoses, the place was destroyed from top to bottom, four stories. The initial hose action wasn't much stronger than a garden hose. I filmed the entire operation and it was twenty five minutes after I got there that they turned on the water. They spent twenty minutes hacking around on the roof with axes and opening holes which just sucked in the oxygen and fed the fire in the roof. If this was fire protection, spare me.

Probie: Straight, Gay or Confused

The writing on the four seasons of "Rescue Me" has been all over the place. Yet, Denis Leary deserves credit for the Probie/Mike character played by the very sexy Michael Lombardi.

Probie has been all over the sexual waterfront from Bi to straight to very confused. The old term metrosexual is probably the best word to describe Probie. This season it turned out that the character's

late parents (mother and father) were gay. As real NYFD guys said in the "Rescue Me" Season Two special features, Probie wouldn't last a week in

an actually NY firehouse. Leary has got many thing wrong with Probie, but the character has endured and Leary should get some applause.

>I appreciate what you are saying. I watched a condo burn down

>two years ago and I was appalled at how the firemen handled

>the situation. It took ages before they dealt with a fire that

>started on the roof and by the time they had turned on the

>hoses, the place was destroyed from top to bottom, four

>stories. The initial hose action wasn't much stronger than a

>garden hose. I filmed the entire operation and it was twenty

>five minutes after I got there that they turned on the water.

>They spent twenty minutes hacking around on the roof with axes

>and opening holes which just sucked in the oxygen and fed the

>fire in the roof. If this was fire protection, spare me

You know I don't condone homophobes--however I could see how people in potentially self-sacrificial occupations might be adrenaline junkies/good old boys who might not be especially known for enlightened thinking. I mean that is the stereotype and some stereotypes do have a basis in truth. While I don't accept their judgments on my lifestyle-I am glad there are people who are willing to sacrifce their life for others even if they aren't perfectly enlightened specimens in other facets of their life.

I may not be expressing myself well. The point I guess is that I am defintely not brave enough to be either a firefighter or policeman or career soldier (with the chance of being sent to a war zone). While not all of the people in these occupations are aangels, I have to believe that there is a significant proportion who do go into them for at least some altruistic feelings or patriotic beliefs.

Gman

Archived