Book Forum, Anyone?

quoththeraven
This topic is 1088 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Do textbooks count? I'm taking a music history class (20th century music) for which

the main textbook is a "Music of the 20th Century Style & Structure" by Bryan R. Simms

434pp used paperback - $135.

I also have an incomplete to make up from a previous class, so I have Thayer's "The life of Beethoven",

"Bethoven's Chamber Music in Context" and a master's thesis from NYU about Beethovens wind chamber

music. (All from university libraries).

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just started reading Gore Vidal's memoir Palimpsest, and I am fascinated by it. I hadn't read anything by him in years--Myra Breckinridge when it was published may have been the last novel--and I had forgot what a viciously witty writer he was.

If you care about GV you must read Palimpsest. His later memoir, not nearly as good, is also fucking great if that makes any sense. God damn I wanted to fuck that man. His best and most important fiction is Burr. And if you really really like GV, buy "United States" it's about 1100 pages of the best essay writing you'll ever find on subjects you are interested in and others in which you become interested. I return to it nearly monthly. Buy the hardcover, the paperback is unwieldy:

http://www.amazon.com/United-States-Gore-Vidal/dp/0767908066

I assume the $10 was for the kindle edition. I paid Au$22.99 for a paperback edition, which for here was not a bad price.

Yes, it was. That's the format in which I have the first two books also. I'll spend that much (or sometimes more) for a well-known traditionally published mystery writer or series, but I don't usually spend that much for genre romance, whether m/m or otherwise.

On the other hand, although Manga in America is very readable (with the possible exception of one chapter), it is a specialized academic study published by the scholarly arm of Bloomsbury, so I expected to (and did) pay more -- $23 for the Kindle edition. (Softcover would have cost $30.)

For those of you who might be interested, here's a spoiler-free joint review of King's Rising at an influential website devoted to reviewing romance novels that rates it as a recommended read. There are links to reviews of the earlier volumes as well.

I'm absolutely in love with this thread. You guys have (unfortunately) given me a ton of new books to pick up.

I mainly flirt in scifi/fantasy and most of my favorite books are by more recent authors but I need to pick up more complex writing to help with my own.

Oddly enough, my favorite book of all time has not a hint of scifi to it. It's The Elegance of the Hedgehog and I fully recommend picking it up. It's a very bittersweet novel about a parisian apartmenthe concierge who hides her cleverness from the world for fear of rejection and the girl genius she befriends who feels like she's reached her intellectual peak and has resolved to end her life before it all goes downhill. It's a great read and not as maudlin as it sounds.

• 5 years later...