I have a secret

seaboy4hire
This topic is 3161 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

So, its been a long just over 5 years but I've finally done it. I'm not trying to gloat or brag. I hope that my experience helps others. Five years ago when I moved to Chicago I was tipping the scale at 195 pounds. I was wearing large, almost extra large shirts and my waist was pushing 34. Today I am about 135-130, I can now work an extra small shirt comfortably and I can now rock 29 wasit jeans. It hasn't been easy getting down to what I was in my late teens. These are the steps I've SLOWLY introduced over the last few years. One, I've cut high fructose corn syrup out of 98% of my diet. Two, when buying produce it's either frozen or local and organic when it's not crazy expensive. Three, I've gotten off my ass and walk more even when I don't want too. Most days I am walking 5-8 miles. Four, I don't eat out as often. Which is really hard to do in such a great city with so much damn good food! Five, I stay away mostly from the aisles at the grocery store and stick to the perimeter when grocery shopping. I don't like quick change. For me, I had to make these changes slowly to work for me. They aren't super big changes but they do add up over time. Hope this encourages those trying to drop a few pounds.

Hugs,

Greg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, its been a long just over 5 years but I've finally done it. I'm not trying to gloat or brag. I hope that my experience helps others. Five years ago when I moved to Chicago I was tipping the scale at 195 pounds. I was wearing large, almost extra large shirts and my waist was pushing 34. Today I am about 135-130, I can now work an extra small shirt comfortably and I can now rock 29 wasit jeans. It hasn't been easy getting down to what I was in my late teens. These are the steps I've SLOWLY introduced over the last few years. One, I've cut high fructose corn syrup out of 98% of my diet. Two, when buying produce it's either frozen or local and organic when it's not crazy expensive. Three, I've gotten off my ass and walk more even when I don't want too. Most days I am walking 5-8 miles. Four, I don't eat out as often. Which is really hard to do in such a great city with so much damn good food! Five, I stay away mostly from the aisles at the grocery store and stick to the perimeter when grocery shopping. I don't like quick change. For me, I had to make these changes slowly to work for me. They aren't super big changes but they do add up over time. Hope this encourages those trying to drop a few pounds.

Hugs,

Greg

Hi Greg,

Congrats sweetie as that's quite an accomplishment you succeeded by keeping yourself in shape, and be self-motivated to keep progressing further onward by staying fit.

I'm quite proud of you too, bro.

Well Job, Well Job.

Hugs,

Greg

This is awesome! What you have done is also documented in a very interesting movie that I urge folks to watch. It essentially documents the effects of sugars in our diets. In particular, fructose, and impact on our bodies.

Check it out!

http://www.thatsugarfilm.com/

Nice job. You did it exactly the way the professionals say to do it in order to be successful for the long term - habit change , not dieting.

Yup and it wasn't huuuuge changes either but still changes that added up to a positive. I forgot one other thing, I did not do this by doing anything non fat low fat crap. Nope! No one is keeping me away from my smothered fried chicken, ice cream or bacon. LOL

Hugs,

Greg

It seemed after cutting out most of the hfc is when I really started to notice the difference.

Hugs,

Greg

I did that too. It works really well. It is just amazing how HFC is into most processed foods. I don't eat processed foods anymore. Everything I eat his home made, from scratch. It made a huge difference in my life! Congratulations!!! I hope you stick to it for the rest of our life. Not only will you look better, you will LIVE better ...

It seemed after cutting out most of the hfc is when I really started to notice the difference.

Hugs,

Greg

I did that too. It works really well. It is just amazing how HFC is into most processed foods. I don't eat processed foods anymore. Everything I eat his home made, from scratch. It made a huge difference in my life! Congratulations!!! I hope you stick to it for the rest of our life. Not only will you look better, you will LIVE better ...

Yes! One needs to READ THE LABEL! I was buying a salad dressing and checked for Hi Fructose Corn Syrup. I didn't notice any. After I got it home I double checked and it was the FIRST (most abundant!) INGREDIENT! I don't buy any preprocessed crap and certainly not any so called "all natural" salad dressing! Yes, "from scratch" certainly is the way to go!

As an aside, my ophthalmologist swears the HFC is related to the increased incidence of cataracts.

Keep walking...it'll do a body good. http://www.boytoy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/yes.gif

I'm not a gym person. I've tried a number of times but I found it to be boring and repetitive zzzzzzzzz. I enjoy a good walk. I get to see things and experience new things. Chicago is an amazing walking city especially walking the neighborhoods. Often times I'll be walking through a neighborhood and see random pieces of art or admire the architecture. Plus I am a block and a half from the beach and walking path. The views, billion dollar!

Hugs,

Greg

I'm not a gym person. I've tried a number of times but I found it to be boring and repetitive zzzzzzzzz. I enjoy a good walk. I get to see things and experience new things. Chicago is an amazing walking city especially walking the neighborhoods. Often times I'll be walking through a neighborhood and see random pieces of art or admire the architecture. Plus I am a block and a half from the beach and walking path. The views, billion dollar!

Hugs,

Greg

Jealous of that view, sir!

Once upon a time, younger Tyro weighed or measured everything she ate (yes, everything) and consumed no sugar, no sugar wannabes, no wheat, no flour, and no caffeine. Yes, fo' realz. Your plan focuses on eliminating the "heavy hitters" and sounds more sustainable than what I did way back when. Well done.

T

Indeed, there is an association between HFCS consumption, and many people believe it may be related to our obesity epidemic. Fructose, unlike sucrose or glucose, doesn't cause people to feel full when they eat it or drink it (so they eat more, which is what food manufacturers want).

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-n2HL9Tkozp0/U-Tq4v_Z1RI/AAAAAAAABJY/zxXvj9E-ojQ/s1600/HFCS.jpg

Of course, epidemiological data can only show associations, and definitely do NOT show causation. Epidemiology only can suggest the need for scientific studies. Examples of associations without causation:

http://calorielab.com/news/wp-images/post-images/hfcs-mere-coincidence-graph1.jpg

Yes! One needs to READ THE LABEL! I was buying a salad dressing and checked for Hi Fructose Corn Syrup. I didn't notice any. After I got it home I double checked and it was the FIRST (most abundant!) INGREDIENT!

As an aside, my ophthalmologist swears the HFC is related to the increased incidence of cataracts.

So that's why you missed that first ingredient!

Jealous of that view, sir!

Once upon a time, younger Tyro weighed or measured everything she ate (yes, everything) and consumed no sugar, no sugar wannabes, no wheat, no flour, and no caffeine. Yes, fo' realz. Your plan focuses on eliminating the "heavy hitters" and sounds more sustainable than what I did way back when. Well done.

T

I'mnot a big bread person but I do love my pasta. No way I would be willing to cut out my coffee. The Chicago river woud be red. I do stay away from sugar subs. If I sub sugar I go for honey, but no splenda, equal, sweet and lo etc. I do portion out my meals. I go by if the portion is bigger than my fist its too much and that works for me. Unless it's a steak then the bigger the better lol.

Hugs,

Greg

So that's why you missed that first ingredient!

LOL, well I was wearing my glasses, but one would think that something called Honey Mustard salad dressing would have either honey or mustard as the main ingredient, so I never even looked at the first ingredient! It goes to show how much crapola is in processed food.

Also, given my background I am totally aware of hidden sugars in processed foods. It everywhere. That's why business was go good for all those years! Plus, the average person has no clue. People actually think that Juicy Juice is all natural juice and totally healthy. I would hate to read the ingredients!

Also, given my background I am totally aware of hidden sugars in processed foods. It everywhere. That's why business was go good for all those years! Plus, the average person has no clue. People actually think that Juicy Juice is all natural juice and totally healthy. I would hate to read the ingredients!

As with all juices, Juicy Juice provides mostly empty calories, devoid of any nutritional value other than the Vitamin C they add. I generally advise people to minimize fruit juices in their diets due to these empty calories. It is especially harmful in children, where the 100 calories from a box of juicy juice provides a lot of calories without nutritional benefit. That being said, Juicy Juice is pretty natural and devoid of additives. The only chemicals added are natural ones, ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), and malic acid (malic acid occurs naturally in all fruits and many vegetables, and is generated in fruit metabolism).

http://c1.q-assets.com/images/products/p/nus/nus-044b_4z.jpg

I'm not a big bread person but I do love my pasta. No way I would be willing to cut out my coffee.

An easy way to make pasta a more healthful part of a meal is to eat whole grain pasta. Only a very small minority of people are harmed by coffee. There are some studies which suggest that coffee might provide some protection against colon, prostate, and maybe even brain cancer, diabetes, and dementia. We don't know for sure yet, but why risk it? I drink about four cups daily...

https://www.fredhutch.org/en/news/hutch-magazine/2013-12/q-a-can-coffee-reduce-cancer-risk.html

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/08/17/coffee-drinking-tied-to-reduced-risk-of-colon-cancer-recurrence-but-dont-pour-a-cup-just-yet/?_r=0

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/mcolletterogers/CIMG4104.jpg

Archived