Muscular Guys And Belly Buttons

Gar1eth
This topic is 2154 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

So I notice that the Forum is filled with frivolous posts. And I wanted to drag it back-whether kicking and scream or not-to something serious. And that serious topic is BELLY BUTTONS!!

I notice that a lot of muscular guys, especially bodybuilders, often have outies. I was wondering whether you had to be an outie to be a bodybuilder to begin with-maybe only outies have the proper genetics. Or I was wondering whether developing your abdominals caused the former innies to convert to outies. And I guess an outie might also be a sign you've developed a hernia from straining so much to lift heavy weights. But I'm not talking about humongous abdominal/umbilical hernias-just normal innies and outies.

And finally if outies are due to developing your abdominals, and if you stop working out as much, do the outies revert back to innies?

http://cbsnews1.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2011/07/13/a7596496-a643-11e2-a3f0-029118418759/resize/640x360/d5183103a722252bd7a223dc1f6bbe5f/bellybuttonsurgery.jpg

Gman

Now that I think about it, I don't think I have seen a pot belly that was an 'outie' so perhaps a lack of abdominal fat stretches out the abs and creates the outie. An interesting (and largely undiscussed) question you ask, Mr. Gman.

I have a potbelly, but I've always been an innie even when I was skinny ( some few years before The Flood if I'm remembering correctly. Yes, I'm antediluvian!!). Could it be we don't notice outies on us full-figured guys because our bellies roll over the button.

Gman

I'll add to the discussion. How many of you ( outies or innies) have a belly button that is sensitive to pressure and gives a nice stab of erotic pain/pleasure when touched? It's a tiny jolt that goes right to my groin.

yes, I have that, glen......I wouldn't call it a "jolt of erotic pleasure", but if I simply pick at my innie a bit, there's a bit of a connection to my groin.....strange

yes, I have that, glen......I wouldn't call it a "jolt of erotic pleasure", but if I simply pick at my innie a bit, there's a bit of a connection to my groin.....strange

I am belly button jolt free. Maybe I need some--

http://previewcf.turbosquid.com/Preview/2014/05/23__01_25_35/jolt.jpgDE9230AC-A8EB-44F7-9BD1F6715447D5BC.jpgLarger.jpg

To spark a connection!!

Gman

I notice that a lot of muscular guys, especially bodybuilders, often have outies.

I think you are probably referring to the 'roid tummy' that so many bodybuilders have. The steroids cause the internal organs to grow, hence the 'basket ball' shaped tummy that so many have. The abs are visible, of course, but the belly is ball-shaped. The internal pressure from the enlarged organs may cause the belly button to revert to an outie.

I think you are probably referring to the 'roid tummy' that so many bodybuilders have. The steroids cause the internal organs to grow, hence the 'basket ball' shaped tummy that so many have. The abs are visible, of course, but the belly is ball-shaped. The internal pressure from the enlarged organs may cause the belly button to revert to an outie.

You might be right. But I guess we'd need some natural bodybuilders for comparison.

Gman

I agree that the characteristic bodybuilder "roid gut effect" might indeed have something to do with it. Also, regarding hernia surgery, when done laparoscopically the surgeon enters near or through the navel and if scar tissue results an innie could possibly be turned into an outie. Of course it probably in most cases simply has to do with what happens at birth, or possibly genetics. That would be my real guess.

You might be right. But I guess we'd need some natural bodybuilders for comparison.

The roid tummy sounds familiar, but also outside of that it could have to do with the way the spine is curved. Some spines curve inward pushing the organs against the tummy. Others are more straight, and others curve outward, giving that slouched look...but a flatter abs.

i remember reading somewhere it has to do with how its tied and how long the umbilical cord is cut when born.

Totally unrelated! All of the cord that is left after the cut just dries up and falls off - doesn't matter if it's 1 inch or 6 inches. The cord is also not tied but clamped and cut so tying has nothing to do with innie or outie - luck of the draw!

i remember reading somewhere it has to do with how its tied and how long the umbilical cord is cut when born.

Totally unrelated! All of the cord that is left after the cut just dries up and falls off - doesn't matter if it's 1 inch or 6 inches. The cord is also not tied but clamped and cut so tying has nothing to do with innie or outie - luck of the draw!

Well yes, I've got multiple nieces and one nephew, so I've seen clamped cords. And I'll agree you are right about the clamping/cutting and about it not making a difference, funguy. But wouldn't you think that in an earlier epoch cords were most likely tied off and and then cut?

Gman

Well yes, I've got multiple nieces and one nephew, so I've seen clamped cords. And I'll agree you are right about the clamping/cutting and about it not making a difference, funguy. But wouldn't you think that in an earlier epoch cords were most likely tied off and and then cut?

Gman

You are right Gman but there were innies and outies then, too.

• 3 weeks later...

Many bodybuilders over the course of time will get hernias and only the responsible ones and the ones with the means, correct them and go through the procedure to rectify the problem. Sometimes what looks like an "outie" is just a hernia....

• 2 months later...

Some also inject themselves with insulin for the anabolic effect. A side-effect is that it causes visceral fat to accumulate.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old discussion, but I found this thread in a Google search for bodybuilder's bellybutton hernias, and I wanted to add a few things. I don't have a full answer for why the bellybuttons of bodybuilders so often stick out, but I may have some partial answers. Guys can have hard outies when, for some reason, their navel pits are shallow or their navel scars are thicker than usual. Or they can have soft outies if they have bellybutton hernias. Often these are congenital, but they can develop in adulthood, because the bellybutton scar is a weak point on the stomach wall. Roid guts can produce bellybutton hernias, from the inside-out pressure, but you often see hernias on physique competitors, who have flat, rippling stomachs and presumably use little or no steroids or growth hormone. See, for example, James Alexander-Ellis. I am pretty sure that the intra-abdominal pressure of heavy lifting can cause buttons to pop. You can have fat inside the stomach muscle wall, and this can sometimes cause the button to pop, but usually guys with extra weight also have fat under the belly skin, which does not grow over the navel. So most of us with some gut have innies, even if there is a small underlying soft or hard outie. By contrast, bodybuilders have no belly fat, and their outies show up very nicely. How do you know if you have a hard outie or a hernia? The wider the button and the more it sticks out, the more likely it is to be a hernia. Dime-sided outies may be either, but quarter-sized or bigger and it's probably a hernia. Or just do what a surgeon would do and stick your finger into the bulge. If you can get your fingertip into your guts, it's a hernia! Qustion: does a bellybutton hernia have to be " fixed? " A surgeon would say yes, but then surgeons make a living by cutting. Actually, bellybutton hernias carry small medical risk and it is essentially all about appearances. Do you want your button to stick out? Most guys would prefer having an innie, but not every guy. I have an upper navel hernia, but the scar below is holding, so I look more innie. But, if my button TOTALLY popped, I think it would look incredibly cool. What about the question of the erotic sensitivity of the bellybutton? There are a lot of nerve endings in the pit of the button, but I am not sure why that makes navel massage feel so sexy! I don't always feel tingling in my dick, but touching my gutbutton always gets me hot! Remember the 80s, when guys wore cutoff t-shirts? I think the only reason to wear a half-shirt is to show off your bellybutton! Bellybuttons, innies or outies, are so funky-sexy, that you think you're seeing an alternative sex organ! One that's allowed to be on public view. And navels are centered on a guy's stomach...which is often the sexiest part of his anatomy. Sure, I love ripped abs. But if a guy is tanned, muscular, and athletic, then I also love seeing some fat around his innie! Would love to grind my bellybutton into his! Bring back the 80's!

I'm an outie! Ive always had abs, not sure what the connection is though. I think it starts from birth....but the genetics thing could be true too.

I'm an outie! Ive always had abs, not sure what the connection is though. I think it starts from birth....but the genetics thing could be true too.

I was in hospital recently. A nurse, about to give me an injection, started laughing and commented that I have the smallest belly button she has ever seen. One more thing to be self conscious about.

I would think that would be a good thing.

Gman