The End of International Male & Undergear

Kevin Slater
This topic is 2482 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I loved the models but I thought the clothes were silly. I used to think, " Who would actually wear this stuff?" There was another similar company with a similar line, long gone now called "Ah-men," same type of models, clothes that were all skin tight and codpieces.

I loved the models but I thought the clothes were silly. I used to think, " Who would actually wear this stuff?"...

A guy I had a date with about ten years ago, that's who. He showed up wearing a leopard print silk shirt and gauze pants. The man looked absolutely ridiculous. Over the course of conversation I learned he shopped almost exclusively at International Male.

A guy I had a date with about ten years ago, that's who. He showed up wearing a leopard print silk shirt and gauze pants. The man looked absolutely ridiculous. Over the course of conversation I learned he shopped almost exclusively at International Male.

Exactly. The look was unmistakable. If anybody approached me sporting the IM look, I reflexively dismissed him as a lightweight.

Years ago, I took some classes in Japanese brush painting. I had produced a particularly nice painting and I was getting ready to add that final stroke that would have ruined it. Before the brush hit the paper, the instructor said, "Know when to stop!"

Some of the IM designs weren't bad, but their designers had an uncanny ability to ruin a nice garment with unnecessary doo-dads and gaudy prints. They didn't know when to stop.

A brief comment on their clothes and other tight or skimpy attire; when I came out a few years ago (I was over 60), my first best friend convinced me to buy clothes that made "me" feel good and to stop worrying what others might think about my dress. I have followed this ever since. Now I have a large collection of Andrew Christian underwear and 4-5 very skimpy bathing suits which I do wear and wear them proudly. They pass the test of making me feel great when I put them on.

Sad to see em go. They were pioneers in bringing some sexy men to my mail box!

Years ago, I took some classes in Japanese brush painting. I had produced a particularly nice painting and I was getting ready to add that final stroke that would have ruined it. Before the brush hit the paper, the instructor said, "Know when to stop!"

Way off-topic but anyway: somewhat similar with writing. A magazine editor I knew advised his writers to draft their article, then delete the first and last paragraphs and see if that didn't immediately make it better.

Dr Johnson put it best: "Read over your compositions, and where ever you meet with a passage which you think is particularly fine, strike it out."

...Some of the IM designs weren't bad, but their designers had an uncanny ability to ruin a nice garment with unnecessary doo-dads and gaudy prints. They didn't know when to stop.

One of my former F-buds worked for them as a systems analyst. He told me that even their own staff used to laugh at some of their designs.

Several years ago, my spouse bought some l t-shirts through the catalog, and they still look good today.

Some of their merchandise was great. I bought some socks there that I absolutely loved.

• 2 years later...

Ha ha, a bar buddy gave me one of those tuxedo shirts from there after one of my oxford shirts got ripped up when we were dancing. He said the problem with getting anything from them was that, since every gay guy got the catalog, everyone would know exactly where you got it.

Shirt on the cover shown here

https://jezebel.com/5039045/the-international-male-1986-holiday-catalog-the-recockulous-jackpot

Archived