Fitness Age

Philly50
This topic is 3259 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Well, if I'm reading that graph right, most of us should still be here in 2215. I wonder if the discussions will change all that much. http://www.boytoy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

http://static.leonardo.it/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2014/04/large_393217457.jpg

Why the hell did I pay up front? . . . . Ask Marylander, he'll know.

Didn't that guy pull that before? . . . . He's still on Time-out.

Hilarious Lookin....

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you believe the predictions ... it's going up.

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/media/img/posts/2014/09/ChartForPhone_Easterbrook-1/1fb623aff.png

Strangely enough, in my family the graph has been going in the other direction. My parents generation had two centenarians and four members in their 90s (one still alive), but so far 51 has been the average age at death of my generation, most of whom are already gone; seven of my eleven adult first cousins predeceased one or both of their parents.

Interestingly I took the test again and declined to answer the additional questions. My fitness age came in at 42.

I then answered the additional questions and changed one answer to reflect my eating habits a bit more accurately. The result was 42 years again.

The end result was that I am now a year younger since tasking the test yesterday. Perhaps I should take it again tomorrow and I'll gain another year or two!

Back to the topic in question: Philly50, I took the test.

Result: My fitness age is 20 years old.

I train intensively 5 times a week with 3 Body Combat and GRIT group classes.

Regardimg Steven's results...

Judge Judy always says that today's 20 year olds are half baked. Therefore with Steven we get the best of both worlds!

The prowess of a 20 year old in a smart, fit, and totally sexually cultivated package! What could be better!

Perhaps if you were born in 2015, but I suspect we are already well on our way to reaching the average life expectancy limit. I know I am fast approaching that age. I have doubts about such predictions but looking at the past 100 years perhaps the U.S. life expectancy will continue to rise. Wars, global epidemics had little impact on the rise and perhaps technology will ameliorate the effects of the rise of early onset diabetes, increasing obesity, lack of exercise, etc. etc. that threaten to curb the increase.

I'm 59, took the test, and got "fitness age of someone over 75" which was no surprise (a disappointment, but not a surprise) because I have physical limitations that aren't obvious on first glance. I can't stand for very long without pain and fatigue, can't walk very far without pain and fatigue, and can't exercise for long without pain and fatigue. Cardiovascular exercise is the worst; I have a higher tolerance for stretching and resistance band/weight training. I can't sit at a desk for very long or my neck starts hurting, at which point I lie down (neutral neck, no pillow). Lying down is also the only immediate solution to the pain and fatigue from standing, walking, or other exertion.

Medication only does so much. I have never been successful on any narcotics. Lorazepam, which I use as a muscle relaxant (at lower doses, it's also the only sleep aid that works for me) helps but is sedating and can leave me groggy. I take iburpofen daily but that has limitations too; it's more to make sure things don't get worse than to improve them.

That's what life is like when you have the conditions I have. But I would argue that it doesn't give me the fitness of a 75 year old. I can get around fine 99% of the time. It's just that 50% of the time, I'm too tired or in too much pain to want to.

Somewhere back at the half century mark I stopped thinking and worrying about my age. I took the test and it threw an age at me which is probably fairly accurate. Think social security and AARP then subtract 30, but I wouldn't have cared what it said. I get up every morning and put one foot in front of the other until I reach the kitchen, that's where the coffee is and then I know things will soon be all better. I workout everyday, eat the best I can, drink in moderation until the world is just a tiny bit funnier than it is when I'm sober, and pretty much feel that tomorrow will take care of itself. In other words, "Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff." Mentally I still remember how to get home, but can't remember my birthday, which is by choice. So age means very little to me. I don't think much about what's going to happen 5 or 10 or 15 years from now, nor do I count how many Christmases I have left. I'm like my dog, I sort of just live in the moment...

Yesterday in one of those infamous Florida downpours, the roof started to leak. The cute little roofer man said that structurally she was still sound and that I could seal it for 10k and that would give me a solid 7 years of water not dripping on my head in the kitchen...OR....I could replace it for 20k and I could probably get 30+years out of her. My mind for some reason went into calculator mode, no there's money in the bank to fix it, but my head went to the 30 year life of the roof, and I started laughing, and I looked at the cute little twenty-something roofer man and said, "seal it, shit, I won't be here in 30 years".....he didn't get it. Now I'm suddenly all depressed, and all that BS about not caring about how old I am suddenly went right out the window, and the cold hard reality of aging just slapped me across my face. :(

When I hear people talking about our sins and what they do to us, I am reminded of the story of a prominent citizen who lived to be ninety-six years of age. On his ninety-sixth birthday the newspapers sent their reporters out to interview him. One of them asked, "To what do you attribute your long life?"

The old man replied, "I attribute it to the fact that I have never taken a drink of an alcoholic beverage or smoked a cigarette in all my days."

At that moment they heard a noise in an adjoining room that sounded like a combined earthquake and cyclone. One of the newspaper reporters said, "Good Lord, what is that?"

The old man said, "That is my old daddy in there on one of his periodic drunks."

-- Sam Ervin, Congressional Record, March 4, 1964

Well I'm guaranteed to at least age 92 I had a couch reupholstered a couple of years ago and I was told that the couch was so well constructed that I would be sitting on it for at least the next thirty years. Works for me!

Oh, and I did spring for the 30 year roof as well! ;). Heck, if I'm gonna be sitting in the couch for thirty years I certainly don't want water dripping on my head! :D

Well I'm guaranteed to at least age 92 I had a couch reupholstered a couple of years ago and I was told that the couch was so well constructed that I would be sitting on it for at least the next thirty years.

Me too -- like Jeremy Bentham! :p

http://blogs.ucl.ac.uk/transcribe-bentham/files/2010/04/Auto-Icon.jpg

My fitness age was 29. I think the results depend a lot on how you define exercise and exertion level ("take it easy" vs. "sweat a little"). Does exercise have to mean going to the gym or lacing up running shoes, or does my habit of jumping around to music count? Even if it doesn't bring down my fitness age, it must amuse those in the nearby buildings who own a set of binoculars.

Does cholesterol still count for something? My LDL randomly dropped by nearly 50% (!) on the last reading, so I hope so.

(BTW, I took it a second time and noticed that fitness age decreases with weight, even below BMI=20. This graphic that Unicorn posted implies a different, less comforting conclusion.)

http://michigantoday.umich.edu/archive/2012/11/bmi_health.jpg

Given the limitations of online tests, if I had to suggest a website where the test is probably a bit more accurate it would be www.realage.com.

It actually takes more factors into consideration, fitness being only one component. Don't expect to come out being told that you are half your age.

Excellent WG. Just took this, and the bad news is that I didn't get the results that I had hoped for. :( The test knocked 7 years off my actual age. The good news is that while I thought I would do better, the test did reveal where my weaknesses are. They are clearly in my diet, and I knew that, but still a real eye opener when you begin checking boxes, and realize that some old habits need to be broken. Thanks for the link.

Excellent WG. Just took this, and the bad news is that I didn't get the results that I had hoped for. :( The test knocked 7 years off my actual age. The good news is that while I thought I would do better, the test did reveal where my weaknesses are. They are clearly in my diet, and I knew that, but still a real eye opener when you begin checking boxes, and realize that some old habits need to be broken. Thanks for the link.

Well, I have been taking the test periodically for a number of years. At one time I was ten years younger. Taking it last night I was only 6.3 years younger. Still, I guess Father Time catches up with all of us sooner or later. I'm not sure what else I can do as I exercise and watch my diet religiously. I have not eaten a French fry in twenty years, but fried calamari that another story! Still, that's not something that you can do every day. But heck, ya gotta enjoy life a little bit!

Given the limitations of online tests, if I had to suggest a website where the test is probably a bit more accurate it would be www.realage.com.

It actually takes more factors into consideration, fitness being only one component. Don't expect to come out being told that you are half your age.

It's best to avoid anything endorsed by America's number 1 quack, Dr. Oz.

The New York Timss wrote an article a few years ago about this test.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/26/technology/internet/26privacy.html?_r=0

From the article:

Pharmaceutical companies pay RealAge to compile test results of RealAge members and send them marketing messages by e-mail. The drug companies can even use RealAge answers to find people who show symptoms of a disease — and begin sending them messages about it even before the people have received a diagnosis from their doctors.

It's best to avoid anything endorsed by America's number 1 quack, Dr. Oz.

The New York Timss wrote an article a few years ago about this test.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/26/technology/internet/26privacy.html?_r=0

From the article:

How did I not see his picture staring at me this morning...LOL...Thanks for the link WmClarke. So improve my diet, but delete his emails to me...Got it.

For the record I HATE Dr. Oz and with a passion!!!!

It is only more recently that he has been overtly associated with Realage.com. Incidentally it has been probably almost ten years since I have been periodically taking the test. Incidentally, I have declined all email contact with the site. I am sure that this is all a marketing scheme, but it is also the best such test that I have come across. For example, it did get me to reduce my red meat intake years ago. At that time they were recommending it only once per week. I have more or less stuck to such a regimen ever since. If I want red meat I go elsewhere! ;)

For the record I HATE Dr. Oz and with a passion!!!!

It is only more recently that he has been overtly associated with Realage.com. Incidentally it has been probably almost ten years since I have been periodically taking the test. Incidentally, I have declined all email contact with the site. I am sure that this is all a marketing scheme, but it is also the best such test that I have come across. For example, it did get me to reduce my red meat intake years ago. At that time they were recommending it only once per week. I have more or less stuck to such a regimen ever since. If I want red meat I go elsewhere! ;)

Our hatred of "Dr." Oz now binds us....;)

As long as people are aware of the marketing-driven nature of the site, they can make informed decisions about using it.

The test says I have the fitness level of a 51 year old, which sounds good. However, when my father was 71, his physician told him he had the body of a 40 year old--and less than a year later he was dead.

It occasionally happens that somebody falls over dead from a massive heart attack in the same day that his/her doctor tells him/her that they have a perfectly normal EKG.

Archived