Havana, Cuba Within a Few Days

Axiom2001
This topic is 1791 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Gents, This is my first time posting in the "Traveling Members'" section. It never dawned on me until a few minutes ago when I read one of our fellow poster's thread. On Saturday of this week, the 28th of February, 2015, I hope to be in Havana Cuba for a mere week. I hope to hook up with a gay guide, Yunior Crispo who has a site via google; he and I will be doing a "gay tour" of Havana on the night of my arrival, but I'd like to hear from any of you who have traveled to this island country. What non cultural activities or connections did you experience? What are some of the quiet places or areas in which you partook?

I will be part of a People-to-People program with an educational focus. ...can't wait until we Americans can travel freely there!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there a year ago on a people-to-people exchange; there was a gay-friendly restaurant (apparently with a drag show) that our guide told us about; we tried to go but it was closed for the holiday; there are areas where guys congregate, too; ask your guide and I am sure he can tell you where you might find good places to go.

I was there a year ago on a people-to-people exchange; there was a gay-friendly restaurant (apparently with a drag show) that our guide told us about; we tried to go but it was closed for the holiday; there are areas where guys congregate, too; ask your guide and I am sure he can tell you where you might find good places to go.

Thanx!

First, you have no idea how much I envy your trip to La Habana. It's been 11 years since my trip, and I've been dying to go back ever since. There was so much that I enjoyed, but the one thing that stands out the most after all this time was learning about the day to day lives of Cubans. Life under communism is so different that it's impossible to sum up in a few sentences. My Spanish is fluent, so I was able to talk to Cubans everywhere. The hardship they endure, and their amazing ability to somehow find happiness despite that hardship, still make my eyes pop whenever I think of it. Even if you don't speak Spanish, you can find a few Cubans with decent English.

If your suitcases allow, pack bars of soap, powdered laundry detergent, and packages of socks & underwear. You'll find no shortage of people who will be profoundly grateful. Don't give money away, but tip everyone who helps you. A convertible peso or two is a godsend to maids, cab drivers, servers, bartenders, tour guides, etc. The official restaurants are awful (what do you expect? they're run by communists), but the private restaurants (paladares) are amazing. Treat a handsome cubano lad to dinner at a paladar & you'll have a great meal with a very appreciative companion. Just remember that the service fee at paladares is not a tip; it's a fee to pay for the staggering monthly tax on paladares.

A baseball is worth its weight in gold in Cuba, and an authentic MLB ball twice that. They play pickup baseball on every street corner, usually making do with a rock & scrap lumber. And a new pair of American sneakers is the Cuban equivalent of a Louis Vuitton bag, except way better. If you're feeling really generous, buy a standard size of Nikes or New Balance (10D?) and just give them to your handsome cubano after dinner (or whatever other evening activity). He might just break down & cry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Anxious to hear about your travels AX....Hope it met all your expectations. ;)

Culturally, I had a sterling trip, but in the sex department, it did not materialize as I'd desired and envisioned. Go to http:www.boytoy.com {South or Latin American section to read my lengthy take on my trip.} And although I was not completely disappointed, I do plan to return and operate this part of my venture much more differently.

Edited by Axiom2001

• 2 weeks later...

Axiom, I just read your report on the other site; thank you for posting this; and I am sorry there were all the miscommunications and expectations not met! Another trip may very well be better simply because you now know the lay of the land; I was traveling with my partner and did not really have a chance to explore, but it seems to me that finding a dependable gay guide would be the best alternative if I were going alone.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
Axiom, I just read your report on the other site; thank you for posting this; and I am sorry there were all the miscommunications and expectations not met! Another trip may very well be better simply because you now know the lay of the land; I was traveling with my partner and did not really have a chance to explore, but it seems to me that finding a dependable gay guide would be the best alternative if I were going alone.

Check Facebook for gay guides in Cuba. They're independent yet reputable. ...sorry I can't remember their internet addresses, but if one were to do as mentioned in the first sentence-- you should be fine. [in terms of their obtaining guys for you-- ask discreetly.]

First, you have no idea how much I envy your trip to La Habana. It's been 11 years since my trip, and I've been dying to go back ever since. There was so much that I enjoyed, but the one thing that stands out the most after all this time was learning about the day to day lives of Cubans. Life under communism is so different that it's impossible to sum up in a few sentences. My Spanish is fluent, so I was able to talk to Cubans everywhere. The hardship they endure, and their amazing ability to somehow find happiness despite that hardship, still make my eyes pop whenever I think of it. Even if you don't speak Spanish, you can find a few Cubans with decent English.

If your suitcases allow, pack bars of soap, powdered laundry detergent, and packages of socks & underwear. You'll find no shortage of people who will be profoundly grateful. Don't give money away, but tip everyone who helps you. A convertible peso or two is a godsend to maids, cab drivers, servers, bartenders, tour guides, etc. The official restaurants are awful (what do you expect? they're run by communists), but the private restaurants (paladares) are amazing. Treat a handsome cubano lad to dinner at a paladar & you'll have a great meal with a very appreciative companion. Just remember that the service fee at paladares is not a tip; it's a fee to pay for the staggering monthly tax on paladares.

A baseball is worth its weight in gold in Cuba, and an authentic MLB ball twice that. They play pickup baseball on every street corner, usually making do with a rock & scrap lumber. And a new pair of American sneakers is the Cuban equivalent of a Louis Vuitton bag, except way better. If you're feeling really generous, buy a standard size of Nikes or New Balance (10D?) and just give them to your handsome cubano after dinner (or whatever other evening activity). He might just break down & cry.

It is an odd place. A frustrated place mostly. Free quality university and trades training and free quality healthcare and no shampoo or conditioner. These really smart and educated people that have access to very limited consumer goods. One thing about Cubans is that they feel very free to complain to anyone that is listening. And fun.

I wonder whether non-US flagged cruise companies will set up cruises from Santo Domingo or Kingston (or somewhere else).

That would be wonderful. Hope all travel companies will begin to circumvent what that "prick and his administration" has imposed! ...wish something very bad would happen to that fucker!

It is an odd place. A frustrated place mostly. Free quality university and trades training and free quality healthcare and no shampoo or conditioner. These really smart and educated people that have access to very limited consumer goods. One thing about Cubans is that they feel very free to complain to anyone that is listening. And fun.

I'm not so sure about the quality of health care for Cubans. Cuba has a two-tier health care system: a first-rate one for foreigners with money (and the well-connected communists, no doubt) and a very different one for everyday Cubans. Yes, doctors in Cuba are very well trained, but they lack technology, medicines, and even basic equipment. In conversations I had with two women who visit family in Cuba regularly, health care for ordinary Cubans sounds awfully sub-standard. X-rays are hard to come by, drugs are scarce, and some doctors don't even have their own stethoscope. Need an MRI? Pffft

I'm not so sure about the quality of health care for Cubans. Cuba has a two-tier health care system: a first-rate one for foreigners with money (and the well-connected communists, no doubt) and a very different one for everyday Cubans. Yes, doctors in Cuba are very well trained, but they lack technology, medicines, and even basic equipment. In conversations I had with two women who visit family in Cuba regularly, health care for ordinary Cubans sounds awfully sub-standard. X-rays are hard to come by, drugs are scarce, and some doctors don't even have their own stethoscope. Need an MRI? Pffft

The Kirchner family used Cuban medicine not to testify

How many tiers do Americans have?

Hmm, interesting. That's not what I was told by Cubans. And not what I experienced when I was in hospital with 'regular' Cubans. Just a regular neighbourhood hospital, I was the only foreigner in there. It was different, families were everywhere and often brought meals, to share, and felt more 'social' that my experience with hospitals here. But even as a foreigner it was free. Drugs are probably scarce, one of the effects of the continuing USA boycott and embargo on any kind of trade with Cuba. But still, Cuba does maintain better population level health outcomes that the USA, in terms of infant mortality rates, life expectancy and obesity rates (and no it's not from a food shortage). Certainly the health system in Cuba is less two-tiered than the USA system is. If a two-tiered health care system is a concern of yours, you must be up in arms about the for-profit health care system that completely dominates in the USA.

Edited by RealAvalon