Meet Alex from Target

bigvalboy
This topic is 3472 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

He seems like a sweet kid. With Christmas shopping season beginning (it now starts after Halloween - eek!), Target should use this kid to bring his hundreds of thousands of fangirls into the stores. Hopefully the kid makes a bundle of $$$ from whatever advertising campaign he's featured in.

I liked his comeback to Ellen when she was trying to figure out if he had a talent he could reveal now that he's enjoying his 15 minutes of fame: I guess I bag groceries really well.

As to the sudden explosion of fame, it seems like the water is murky. The original photo was taken and tweeted by someone not affiliated with Breakr, the internet marketing group claiming to be behind Alex's sudden rise in popularity, so the phenomenon did, in fact, start organically. Apparently someone at Breakr then decided to use the photo to test how powerful exploiting a cute teen boy's image to a market of a bunch of teen girls could be. Turns out one can quickly make a celebrity this way, but this is hardly news.

I liked his comeback to Ellen when she was trying to figure out if he had a talent he could reveal now that he's enjoying his 15 minutes of fame: I guess I bag groceries really well.

As to the sudden explosion of fame, it seems like the water is murky. The original photo was taken and tweeted by someone not affiliated with Breakr, the internet marketing group claiming to be behind Alex's sudden rise in popularity, so the phenomenon did, in fact, start organically. Apparently someone at Breakr then decided to use the photo to test how powerful exploiting a cute teen boy's image to a market of a bunch of teen girls could be. Turns out one can quickly make a celebrity this way, but this is hardly news.

I'm curious to see how Target will make use of all of this. Since Alex has quickly become a national "celeb" of sorts (not just something local to the Texas store he works at), will the company try to make him part of their ad campaigns? We're used to celebs endorsing products, or "characters" created to do that - from Ronald McDonald to Flo - but it seems rare that just an "ordinary person" becomes a symbol like that. We shall see...

I'm curious to see how Target will make use of all of this. Since Alex has quickly become a national "celeb" of sorts (not just something local to the Texas store he works at), will the company try to make him part of their ad campaigns? We're used to celebs endorsing products, or "characters" created to do that - from Ronald McDonald to Flo - but it seems rare that just an "ordinary person" becomes a symbol like that. We shall see...

I would love to see Target take this further, but I rather suspect that his 15 min of fame is rapidly coming to a close. He is a cutie pie, and whatever happens, I wish the young man all the success in the world.

I would love to see Target take this further, but I rather suspect that his 15 min of fame is rapidly coming to a close.

Yeah, like most internet memes the expiration date comes quickly.

But while it was going on, the Target corporate Twitter account did tweet "We heart Alex too". They're aware.

A follow-up to Alex of Target fame. He is now relegated to stockroom, harassed at high school and has reservations being outside. Fame has its costs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/13/style/alex-from-target-the-other-side-of-fame.html?module=Search&mabReward=relbias%3Ar%2C%7B%221%22%3A%22RI%3A11%22%7D&_r=0

Who would have guessed. Poor kid.... Fifteen minutes isn't what it used to be.

Archived