Robin Williams Found Dead

big-n-tall
This topic is 3354 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Armadillo, I had not seen this. They will never change. We couldn't have a couple of days just to celebrate his life, before FOX started judging him. There is plenty of time for that. Let the man go in peace, and let his family grieve.

I wonder whether an event triggered this? People cite "depression," but sometimes an event triggers suicide attempts. The event may seem minor to other people, but in the depressed person's mind, it's blown up into something that threatens his happiness forever.

For example, maybe someone rejected a script that he wrote, and he thought it meant that he was finished.

I wonder whether an event triggered this? People cite "depression," but sometimes an event triggers suicide attempts. The event may seem minor to other people, but in the depressed person's mind, it's blown up into something that threatens his happiness forever.

For example, maybe someone rejected a script that he wrote, and he thought it meant that he was finished.

Some say it was the cancellation of his latest TV series.

But his friends are starting to say they could feel him pulling away in recent months. The signs were there.

Bipolars like Robin Williams can certainly have the deepest of depressions. But usually when someone commits suicide, there's some sort of major loss or stressor that sets it off. It could be getting canned, getting divorce papers, legal troubles, etc., but I haven't heard of any major stressors in Williams' life. For God's sake, he's had a career to be proud of, enough money to be able to retire comfortably without having to lift a finger again, a loving family, and so on. I really have to wonder what was such an insurmountable problem in his life that he felt he couldn't deal with it (with the help of his ample resources). I'm quite a bit younger than Williams, yet as I see my retirement years coming up, life gets less and less stressful. Although I don't necessarily plan to retire in three years, I have had analyses by my financial advisors, who tell me that I could retire in relative comfort in three years. I mean, I wouldn't be living in a beautiful bayside home in Tiburon like Williams, but I wouldn't have to sweat it either. I guess we may never know, but I really have to wonder what was so awful that he couldn't deal with it. I mean, I have patients who live in poverty, have kids who are on death row, and really have it tough. I guess there really is no greater pain than in the mind?

On Actors and Depression:

"With a career guaranteed to fluctuate, you may need steadying forces in your life to maintain balance. Certainly family, friends, and hobbies should play a role".

"One of the multiple reasons actors struggle with problems such as anxiety, depression and substance abuse could be related to a blurring between what is reality and what is acting".

"Performing can be a high. It feels good to receive praise. But what about when the praise ends? It's impossible to be in the limelight 24/7. Or what happens when there is a bad review? Performers are highly creative people. They have a gift. But with that gift, there is often a price - certain vulnerability, a heightened level of sensitivity. A performer may be more predisposed to struggle with self-esteem issues. And substance abuse could be one of the maladaptive coping mechanisms".

more: http://memphisactor.blogspot.be/2013/01/actors-and-depression.html

On Actors and Depression:

"With a career guaranteed to fluctuate, you may need steadying forces in your life to maintain balance. Certainly family, friends, and hobbies should play a role".

"One of the multiple reasons actors struggle with problems such as anxiety, depression and substance abuse could be related to a blurring between what is reality and what is acting".

"Performing can be a high. It feels good to receive praise. But what about when the praise ends? It's impossible to be in the limelight 24/7. Or what happens when there is a bad review? Performers are highly creative people. They have a gift. But with that gift, there is often a price - certain vulnerability, a heightened level of sensitivity. A performer may be more predisposed to struggle with self-esteem issues. And substance abuse could be one of the maladaptive coping mechanisms".

more: http://memphisactor.blogspot.be/2013/01/actors-and-depression.html

All of this is very true. It's always puzzled me that everyone in the business is aware of this but there are no real outlets for help. People are more likely to look the other way. Of course, when you're mid-production and in close contact with colleagues, you're at the "high" point that this article speaks of. You don't get to see how a person is after the performance ends and they go back to waiting for that next gig or big break.

Social media is also a potential factor for greater harm. Reviews, public opinion and the like come out within minutes of a production or some gaffe by a celebrity. People feel free to use the most awful language when judging the performance and conduct of public figures. This too takes it's toll. After all, Robin's body was barely cold before Fox's Shep Smith started commenting on Robin's "cowardice," with no regard to the feelings of the family or fans or with any real knowledge of this situation.

Lohengrin

Robin Williams' wife Susan Schneider writes:

"Robin spent so much of his life helping others. Whether he was entertaining millions on stage, film or television, our troops on the frontlines, or comforting a sick child — Robin wanted us to laugh and to feel less afraid.

Since his passing, all of us who loved Robin have found some solace in the tremendous outpouring of affection and admiration for him from the millions of people whose lives he touched. His greatest legacy, besides his three children, is the joy and happiness he offered to others, particularly to those fighting personal battles.

Robin's sobriety was intact and he was brave as he struggled with his own battles of depression, anxiety as well as early stages of Parkinson's Disease, which he was not yet ready to share publicly.

It is our hope in the wake of Robin's tragic passing, that others will find the strength to seek the care and support they need to treat whatever battles they are facing so they may feel less afraid."

"The Westboro Church calls Williams a "homosexual enabler" and will show up at this funeral...

I'm sure there's a special place in Hell waiting for the members of that church."

Here's to all the Westboro "Church" members making it to that special place in Hell.

http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/archive/segment/53ef9887fe34447c790004a1

The Westboro Church calls Williams a "homosexual enabler" and will show up at this funeral...

I'm sure there's a special place in Hell waiting for the members of that church.

Ironic that I had recently posted about how insensitive Shepherd Smith's comments were - his "cowardice" statement is pittance compared to the idiocy of the Westboro spawn.

"Special" is not the right word to use in terms of their place in hell. They deserve nothing "special" at all.

Ironic that I had recently posted about how insensitive Shepherd Smith's comments were - his "cowardice" statement is pittance compared to the idiocy of the Westboro spawn.

"Special" is not the right word to use in terms of their place in hell. They deserve nothing "special" at all.

Special as in a nasty circle just for them.

Hypocrisy, our national sin.

I hope plenty of anti-westobor angels will show up again.

http://www.glaaforum.org/.a/6a0111686ab237970c0147e19533fe970b-320wi

http://a57.foxnews.com/global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/Politics/876/493/westboro%2911110.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

http://towleroad.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c730253ef0148c78b2cd2970c-800wi

There is no joy in death especially one self-imposed. Life is tough that is true for everyone, but it is tougher for some. Joy however is everywhere, if you look for it and realize it and do not expect it to knock you down every day with its intensity. I just had a nice hot cup of coffee with the perfect amount of milk and sweetner for me. Not a write home to parents kind of joy. Not a kick your heels up and dance Snoopy style kind of joy. Just the kind of joy you can give yourself and appreciate that things are not always tough. You know what was tough? Resisting a nice piece of cake to go with that coffee. Now that would have been something to write home about.

Robin Williams' wife Susan Schneider writes:

"Robin's sobriety was intact and he was brave as he struggled with his own battles of depression, anxiety as well as early stages of Parkinson's Disease, which he was not yet ready to share publicly."

I had a close friend who died a year ago from Parkinson's. Looking back, his wife is sure that he was in the early stages of the disease long before he was actually diagnosed. Depression can be associated with the early stages of Parkinson's. He received the best possible care and family support, but last years of my friend's life was truly horrible. I just hope that we learn a little more specific information about what "early stages" mean from Robin Williams' doctors and his wife.

I am wondering if Robin Williams was taking anti-depressants?

""Tonight's Emmy Awards will feature a tribute to iconic comedian and actor Robin Williams, who recently committed suicide after a lifelong battle with depression.

Like Williams, actor Ben Stein told CBN News he also struggled with depression and thoughts of suicide.

It's unclear whether Williams took anti-depressants. But Stein said those drugs played a dangerous role in his personal battle with depression. He said the closest he came to actually taking his own life were the times he was taking anti-depressants.""

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2014/August/Ben-Stein-Anti-depressants-Gave-Me-Suicidal-Thoughts-/

• 5 months later...

First the grieve, then the greed.

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Robin Williams' children and wife have gone to court in a fight over the late comedian's estate.

In papers filed in December in San Francisco Superior Court, Williams' wife, Susan, says some of the late actor's personal items were taken without her permission and asks the court to exclude the contents of the Tiburon home that she shared with Williams from the jewelry, memorabilia and other items Williams said the children should have.

The children, Zachary, Zelda and Cody, counter that Susan Williams is "adding insult to a terrible injury" by trying to change the trust agreement and rob them of the late actor's clothing and other personal items.

• 1 month later...
Sometimes I think Robin Williams had it right...life can just be so hard and frustrating. I find less and less joy in life, and more and more stress.

It's sad you feel that way and yet I can understand that this can be the case. Are you doing anything to make change in your life so its more enjoyable and less stressful?

Archived