Robin Williams Found Dead

big-n-tall
This topic is 3354 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

At first I thought this was an internet hoax and I'm still not entirely sure it isn't. It's so sad if true. As funny as he was the man had a lot of demons. He always made me laugh and my grandmother loved him so much. She watched every comedy special he did.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/236531258/Marin-PD-on-Williams

UPDATE

Just saw on the nightly news... his wife confirmed it. She said he was battling severe depression recently.

God bless him and his family.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
. . . no more Mrs. Doubtfire, even........ 

RIP, sir.

T

One of my favorite movies ever. Just heard on the news that he had signed to do a sequel to Mrs. Doubtfire. What a loss to his family and fans.

“This morning, I lost my husband and my best friend, while the world lost one of its most beloved artists and beautiful human beings. I am utterly heartbroken. On behalf of Robin’s family, we are asking for privacy during our time of profound grief. As he is remembered, it is our hope the focus will not be on Robin’s death, but on the countless moments of joy and laughter he gave to millions.” - Susan Schneider, his wife

Not being in his shoes, I cannot fathom why he would commit such an irresponsible and selfish act. From a distance, he would appear to have had it all...

Having it all wouldn't mean a thing to someone battling depression or addiction. He was sick.

RIP Robin..

The Oscar-winning actor and comedian was 63

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/23800000/Robin-Williams-robin-williams-23812079-1000-1176.jpg

Oscar-winning actor and comedian Robin Williams has died at age 63, according to police in Marin County, Calif.

The full statement is below.

On August 11, 2014, at approximately 11:55 a.m, Marin County Communications received a 9-1-1 telephone call reporting a male adult had been located unconscious and not breathing inside his residence in unincorporated Tiburon, CA. The Sheriff’s Office, as well as the Tiburon Fire Department and Southern Marin Fire Protection District were dispatched to the incident with emergency personnel arriving on scene at 12:00 pm. The male subject, pronounced deceased at 12:02 pm has been identified as Robin McLaurin Williams, a 63-year-old resident of unincorporated Tiburon, CA.

An investigation into the cause, manner, and circumstances of the death is currently underway by the Investigations and Coroner Division s of the Sheriff’s Office. Preliminary information developed during the investigation indicates Mr. Williams was last seen alive at his residence, where he resides with his wife, at approximately 10:00 pm on August 10, 2014. Mr. Williams was located this morning shortly before the 9-1-1 call was placed to Marin County Communications. At this time, the Sheriff’s Office Coroner Division suspects the death to be a suicide due to asphyxia, but a comprehensive investigation must be completed before a final determination is made. A forensic examination is currently scheduled for August 12, 2014 with subsequent toxicology testing to be conducted.

Police added that a press conference will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday in San Rafael, Calif.

Williams' publicist Mara Buxbaum told The Hollywood Reporter: "Robin Williams passed away this morning. He has been battling severe depression of late. This is a tragic and sudden loss. The family respectfully asks for their privacy as they grieve during this very difficult time."

His wife, Susan Schneider, said: "This morning, I lost my husband and my best friend, while the world lost one of its most beloved artists and beautiful human beings. I am utterly heartbroken. On behalf of Robin's family, we are asking for privacy during our time of profound grief. As he is remembered, it is our hope the focus will not be on Robin's death, but on the countless moments of joy and laughter he gave to millions."

Williams, a four-time Oscar nominee, won a supporting actor Oscar for Good Will Hunting for his portrayal of a wise and morose psychologist. He most recently starred in CBS' comedy The Crazy Ones, which lasted only one season. He was nominated for a People's Choice Award for his role as an advertising executive on the comedy, in which Sarah Michelle Gellar played his daughter.

Crazy Ones production company 20th Century Fox TV said in a statement: “Robin Williams was a comedy giant, and although we only knew him personally for a season, he was warm, funny and a true professional. His cast and crew both loved him and loved working with him, and our hearts go out to his family and friends. He was one of a kind.”

Added CBS: “Our world has lost a comic genius, a gifted actor and a beautiful man. We will remember Robin Williams as one of the unique talents of his time who was loved by many, but also as a kind, caring soul, who treated his colleagues and co-workers with great affection and respect. Our heartfelt thoughts and sympathies go out to his family, loved ones and friends.”

Williams also recently starred in the feature Angriest Man in Brooklyn opposite Mila Kunis, Melissa Leo and Peter Dinklage. His next project is the feature film Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb, the third film in the trilogy, which is set to hit theaters Dec. 19 via 20th Century Fox.

Said the studio in a statement: "There really are no words to describe the loss of Robin Williams. He was immensely talented, a cherished member of our community, and part of the Fox family. Our hearts go out to his family, friends and fans. He will be deeply missed.”

Williams also won two SAG Awards, for The Birdcage and Good Will Hunting. He became a guild member in 1977.

Said SAG-AFTRA president Ken Howard: "I am deeply saddened to hear of Robin Williams' death. He was a performer of limitless versatility, equally adept at comedy and drama, whether scripted or improv. With his incomparable manic style, he could appeal to adult sensibilities in a stand-up comedy routine or elicit giggles from children as the voice of Genie in Aladdin. Outside of his career, he used his considerable talents to raise money for charity. He was not only a talented man, but a true humanitarian. It's such a tremendous loss."

Williams recently checked in to a center that is affiliated with the 12-step program in a move to continue his focus on his ongoing sobriety. The actor had been open about his past issues with drinking and cocaine during the early 1980s and sought treatment in 2006 for alcohol abuse.

"It [addiction] waits. It lays in wait for the time when you think, 'It's fine now, I'm OK.' Then, the next thing you know, it's not OK," he told Diane Sawyer in an interview on Good Morning America at that time.

Hollywood mourned the actor on Twitter after news broke Monday afternoon.

more: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/robin-williams-dies-suspected-suicide-724724

in addition to his roles in such diverse movies as Good Morning Vietnam and Good Will Hunting, we also should recall Williams' role in the charity, Comic Relief. Whoopi Goldberg, Billy Crystal and he hosted a number of specials on HBO for the purpose of raising money to help the homeless. He was also involved in many other humanitarian causes and lent his talent to many fund raising events at a wide variety of charities.

They say money can't buy happiness. But Robin Williams had money and more- fame, success, legions of fans, an apparently loving wife. One wonders what was missing for him. I don't disagree that he had to have been mentally ill to do this, but he had access to the best of the best therapists and in patient help. What was missing for him? We may never know.

Mork and Mindy premiered when I was 14, and I'll never forget the man who introduced us to "nanu, nanu."

Most people forget that Mork and Mindy was actually a spinoff from Happy Days, when Fonzie met an alien named Mork.

Williams had his demons. Just a few weeks ago he checked himself into rehab. It's sad when the demons win, but hopefully this time it will advance efforts to remove the stigma from mental health issues. We need to deal with them, not shame them.

Shazbat!

Most people forget that Mork and Mindy was actually a spinoff from Happy Days, when Fonzie met an alien named Mork.

True. And I'm sure I saw that Happy Days episode when it first aired, though I have to admit I wasn't really much of a Happy Days/Laverne And Shirley fan (even now - somehow those shows just don't really do much for me).

I am slightly depressed just thinking about what his family and friends must have gone through when Robin Williams was not taking medication. As some people know, the medication levels the highs and low, and creative people particularly tend to miss the highs which they believe provides their best work.

My absolutely favorite Robin Williams moment of genius - improv with a scarf on Inside the Actor's Studio.

This was actually Williams' response to "how do you do what you do?"

James Lipton has been all over NBC's networks (he's a commentator) since the news broke and this is the story he repeats.

He says that for the 200th episode of Inside the Actor's Studio they polled viewers asking their favorite. The Robin Williams episode was the winner. He also says that he sat there with his stack of blue cards but after "hello" it was SEVEN MINUTES before he could ask the first question.

A remarkable talent. Pam Dawber always said the most difficult thing about "Mork and Mindy" was that she never knew what was going to come out of him, but she had to keep a straight face.

Archived